Where does Mizzou place?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CPM723

Where does Mizzou place?

Postby CPM723 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Does anyone know where else Mizzou places than Missouri? I know the obvious answer will be nowhere else, but I know of Mizzou grads in Texas. Is Texas a possibility after graduation?

mrtoren

Re: Where does Mizzou place?

Postby mrtoren » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Theoretically, you could place in Hawaii if you sent out enough resumes and had a lot of luck on your side. Mizzou places in Missouri. Beyond that, you're on your own.

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:20 pm

mrtoren wrote:Theoretically, you could place in Hawaii if you sent out enough resumes and had a lot of luck on your side. Mizzou places in Missouri. Beyond that, you're on your own.

But it would not be impossible to gain employment outside of the state with a lot of footwork and experience?

ketchup

Postby ketchup » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Last edited by ketchup on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:56 pm

ketchup wrote:With the ~40 spot drop over the last few years, I'd agree you're on your own outside of the state. I'm not sure they admit red sox fans though.

Drops and rises in USNWR rankings have almost no impact on hiring in the short term. HTH.

OP, what are you looking to do? Mizzou barely competes in the bigger cities in Missouri, so I don't like your odds of getting a job elsewhere either.

CPM723

Postby CPM723 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:00 pm

I want to be an ADA. I have lived in Missouri the past four years and have enjoyed it. There is a Mizzou presence in STL, just not biglaw.

Seneca

Postby Seneca » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:16 pm

You'd have better luck in both regards going to WUSTL, as far as I can tell.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:16 pm

CPM723 wrote:I want to be an ADA. I have lived in Missouri the past four years and have enjoyed it. There is a Mizzou presence in STL, just not biglaw.

I sort of agree with this, but I think you might be overestimating Mizzou's presence in STL. WUSTL and to some degree SLU dominate the biglaw firms, and SLU dominates small firms and government positions. I worked for a city government office and there were not a lot of Mizzou people there. The overwhelming majority were SLU grads, with a smattering of UMKC, WUSTL, and Mizzou. However, they (and most other St. Louis city government offices) are not hiring. PM me if you want some more info about it.

On the other hand, there are a LOT of small prosecutors offices around the state and I would guess that few people from WUSTL or even SLU apply to them. I got interviews for a few 1L jobs in some of the collar county prosecutor's offices around St. Louis and I would imagine I was the only WUSTL person even considering them. If you were to show an interest in being a prosecutor in Missouri early and you networked, you would likely be right at the top of the pile for these sorts of jobs.

As far as getting out of Missouri, I really think you'd be better off going to a school outside the state if that's what you're looking to do. Once you get outside of the very top schools, mobility becomes very limited. Alumni of Tier 2/3/4 schools are generally very loyal and insulated, and you'd probably have trouble breaking into a DA's office in another state. You really should go to school in the region you want to practice. While I'm not particularly familiar with Mizzou's placement, this is a very good general rule, and I'd be shocked if Mizzou broke the trend. I know a few unemployed Mizzou grads, and I doubt they'd recommend you going there with the intention of being placed elsewhere.

kams

Postby kams » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:08 am

I went to Mizzou for undergrad, and I think it'd be smarter to go to a school in the area you would like to work. Mizzou isn't a very well-known school and generally doesn't place outside of Missouri very well. With the few law jobs going around, I think it would be more than difficult to find a job out of state from such a local school.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:56 pm

I think the safe answer here is to decide where you want to be and apply to a score around there unless it is a nationally reputable school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”