Why Wake?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tuco

Why Wake?

Postby tuco » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:14 pm

Is it worth it to write a why Wake Forest essay? I love the schools location in NC and job prospects for their ranking. Would love to attend if given a scholly (which lsn indicates likely). My numbers are 3.1 and 170. Just wanna know how much that essay matters at this particular school. Thanks

tuco

Re: Why Wake?

Postby tuco » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:36 pm

nobody with experience applying here?

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:52 pm

i wouldn't bother

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:21 pm

Why aren't you applying ED to UVA?

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:02 pm

already did, didn't work out lol. going for scholly's at good regionals now...

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:25 pm

tuco wrote:already did, didn't work out lol. going for scholly's at good regionals now...

I want to write the why essay to maximize my scholly chances and let them know i'm not just applying for the fuck of it. But my drafts suck and are generic as I have not visited the school or anything. I should just suck it up and put the time in i guess but doing all the aps has really put me out as to writing more essays i'm tapped out for the moment

Argyle Rocks

Postby Argyle Rocks » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:22 am

My impression is that it could help, especially since it's a smaller school (I believe the class size is below 200). You might want to search around the TLS forums or maybe even get a (generic) feel of Wake by looking at some of the videos on their website. If you do all that and still feel like you don't have anything of substance to write about, then perhaps you can throw in the towel. Until then, however, I think you at least deserve to give yourself a shot at doing some research and potentially writing the "Why Wake" essay. Unless you absolutely butcher the essay, I don't think it would hurt.

Plus, I think you made a good point about letting Wake know (via the essay) that you're not just messing around and throwing your app at random schools for the heck of it.

Ultimately, it will really depend on how many other "Why ___" you have to write... as well as where Wake stacks up in your personal preferences for law schools.

If you're burned out, take a breather and regroup.

Best of luck in your application cycle!

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:46 am

You're ED-ing to other places in the T14 in conjunction with the RD to Wake, right?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:59 am

ED Mich. Then ED GULC PT.

LawSchoolGuru

Postby LawSchoolGuru » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:12 am

i would blanket the lower t-14s with that lsat

barneytrouble

Postby barneytrouble » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:29 am

Did you write a why UVA? Or have anything on your app that might stand out as possibly ding-worthy?

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:16 am

barneytrouble wrote:Did you write a why UVA? Or have anything on your app that might stand out as possibly ding-worthy?

Yup I blew the why UVA. I read something that it didn't really matter for ED because its pretty obvious that I really want to go there or why else would I apply ED. Read after the fact that this was bad advice and might really have hurt me not writing that essay.

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:17 am

LawSchoolGuru wrote:i would blanket the lower t-14s with that lsat

I applied to Texas and VAnderbilt those are the only t-14s I went for, tho Vandy is 16 and Texas is maybe not t-14, you get the point tho

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:21 am

Grizz wrote:ED Mich. Then ED GULC PT.
Blessedassurance wrote:You're ED-ing to other places in the T14 in conjunction with the RD to Wake, right?

I'm applying all over, but haven't applied anywhere else ED. The t14s are in places I don't want to be with the exception of Duke, which I don't think would take me, and UVA, which WL'ed me. I hate Cornell and Ithaca and am very leary of paying 200,000 to go to school in the Northern midwest when I have never been to the midwest and hate winter. Georgetown would be ok but I really don't like DC either and have no earning potential to make going to law school part time a good choice specially in such a high COL area.

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Argyle Rocks wrote:My impression is that it could help, especially since it's a smaller school (I believe the class size is below 200). You might want to search around the TLS forums or maybe even get a (generic) feel of Wake by looking at some of the videos on their website. If you do all that and still feel like you don't have anything of substance to write about, then perhaps you can throw in the towel. Until then, however, I think you at least deserve to give yourself a shot at doing some research and potentially writing the "Why Wake" essay. Unless you absolutely butcher the essay, I don't think it would hurt.

Plus, I think you made a good point about letting Wake know (via the essay) that you're not just messing around and throwing your app at random schools for the heck of it.

Ultimately, it will really depend on how many other "Why ___" you have to write... as well as where Wake stacks up in your personal preferences for law schools.

If you're burned out, take a breather and regroup.

Best of luck in your application cycle!

thank you!

Angus MacGyver

Postby Angus MacGyver » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:37 pm

An admissions person at a different school told me it was 100% worth it to write the "why" essay if you really are interested in attending the school. She said, among other things, it is a way for the school to filter out applicants that were not really interested/merely applying as a backup, etc...

However, she also told me a lot of applicants kind of "blow them off" and don't check for typos.

So, I guess, proof read it before you submit it.

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Thanks for the info Angus. I sucked it up and wrote it today. Now people got me thinking should I ED Michigan but i don't think I would get in anyways, plus my reservations. I think UVA was my big shot that didn't work but whatever

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:57 pm

I like the look of Wake. Job prospects should be promising even with the competition in NC. Did you also apply to UNC? I don't know much about it, but UNC looks like the better investment without significant scholarship money (if Wake is generous).

tuco

Postby tuco » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:45 am

Harmony wrote:I like the look of Wake. Job prospects should be promising even with the competition in NC. Did you also apply to UNC? I don't know much about it, but UNC looks like the better investment without significant scholarship money (if Wake is generous).

UNC looks nice but I'm out of state and competition is much fiercer for non NC residents. If I got in it would not be with money I think. I do like the smaller size of wake a lot as well.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Angus MacGyver wrote:An admissions person at a different school told me it was 100% worth it to write the "why" essay if you really are interested in attending the school. She said, among other things, it is a way for the school to filter out applicants that were not really interested/merely applying as a backup, etc...

However, she also told me a lot of applicants kind of "blow them off" and don't check for typos.

So, I guess, proof read it before you submit it.

don't listen to admissions reps. law school admissions is a pure numbers game...you won't get dinged, waitlisted or be less competitive for scholarship money because you didn't write a "Why Wake" essay.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:01 pm

They like it when you make a blog about how they are only your back up school and you are really only going there to transfer to Yale.

Argyle Rocks

Postby Argyle Rocks » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:21 pm

shoeshine wrote:They like it when you make a blog about how they are only your back up school and you are really only going there to transfer to Yale.

Oh, your sense of humor. Yeah, that unfortunately was not a very smart move by the student. The student probably didn't imagine that her blog would be discovered and put on blast (was it by ATL?), but that's the potential price someone pays when that someone posts something public on the Internet.

lawisthelaw

Postby lawisthelaw » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:05 am

Is this in place of a personal statement or a separate document all together in addition to a personal statement?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”