Placement in Chicago for IP law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
roz77

New

Placement in Chicago for IP law

Post by roz77 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Hey all, I'm looking to practice in Chicago after law school. I was wondering if anyone had any idea on how midwest schools place there. Here's my list right now:
WUSTL
Minnesota
Indiana
UIUC
Notre Dame
Iowa
Ohio St.
Wisconsin

I'm hoping to get some info on how these schools place in Chicago vs. Chicago-Kent for IP law.

quadsixm

Bronze

Re: Placement in Chicago for IP law

Post by quadsixm » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:15 pm

roz77 wrote:Hey all, I'm looking to practice in Chicago after law school. I was wondering if anyone had any idea on how midwest schools place there. Here's my list right now:
WUSTL
Minnesota
Indiana
UIUC
Notre Dame
Iowa
Ohio St.
Wisconsin

I'm hoping to get some info on how these schools place in Chicago vs. Chicago-Kent for IP law.
I'm going to be honest, Chicago, even for IP, is really, really tough ITE and will be exceedingly difficult to get from any of those schools.

That being said, ND & UIUC>WUSTL>Minnesota, Iowa, IUB > Wisconsin, Ohio State & Kent

roz77

New

Post by roz77 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:09 pm

So if I'm looking at schools to break into IP law in Chicago, should I be limiting myself to Northwestern and U Chicago then? Is there anywhere else I should look?

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:16 pm

roz77 wrote:So if I'm looking at schools to break into IP law in Chicago, should I be limiting myself to Northwestern and U Chicago then? Is there anywhere else I should look?
Yale, Harvard, Stanford, U. Mich.

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:14 pm

If you want to work IP in Chicago you'd be crazy not to go to Kent.

Sure UofC and NU are here, but I'm telling you the legal market in Chicago LOVES Kent. Not to mention a lot of IP profs at Kent are also IP lawyers in the Chicago market...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:14 pm

northside wrote:If you want to work IP in Chicago you'd be crazy not to go to Kent.

Sure UofC and NU are here, but I'm telling you the legal market in Chicago LOVES Kent. Not to mention a lot of IP profs at Kent are also IP lawyers in the Chicago market...
If you are truly advocating Kent over UofC or NU, then this is the worst advice EVER.

roz77

New

Post by roz77 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:17 pm

What if Northwestern and Chicago (and obviously Yale, Harvard, Stanford, and MIchigan as well) are most likely not options? Would it be better to look at Kent over other regional schools because I'm going to be doing IP law?

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:38 pm

roz77 wrote:What if Northwestern and Chicago (and obviously Yale, Harvard, Stanford, and MIchigan as well) are most likely not options? Would it be better to look at Kent over other regional schools because I'm going to be doing IP law?
Exactly what I am saying.

And DUH. If you have the numbers to go to UofC get your ass down in hyde park. If you don't and you're going IP why waste your time at Loyola or DePaul? [And if you're considering going to John Marshall maybe you should consider not going to Law School.]

LSAT>170 and you're doing IP in Chicago. Kent no questions asked. My good friend does IP here and almost every associate at her firm teaches at least one class at Kent. Its the perfect way to build a network if you ask me.

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:25 am

northside wrote:
roz77 wrote: LSAT>170 and you're doing IP in Chicago. Kent no questions asked. My good friend does IP here and almost every associate at her firm teaches at least one class at Kent. Its the perfect way to build a network if you ask me.
What? LSAT >170 and a decent GPA and you're good at NU. You'd still be insane to pass up NU for Kent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

roz77

New

Post by roz77 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:47 am

What about choosing Kent over UIUC? Any thoughts on that?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:54 am

The IP market in Chicago really blows. Other than kirkland each firm hires maybe 1-2 IP people a year. The boutiques demand someone with outstanding law grades and decent undergrad grades / work experience. The big law firms (who other than Kirkland and Sidley barely exist) look for decent grades from NU/Mich/Uchi or very good grades from UIUC/Wisco/GWU or top of the class at Kent/Loyola/depaul etc etc.

I wouldn't go to law school banking on being an IP lawyer in Chicago.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:57 am

Desert Fox wrote:The IP market in Chicago really blows. Other than kirkland each firm hires maybe 1-2 IP people a year. The boutiques demand someone with outstanding law grades and decent undergrad grades / work experience. The big law firms (who other than Kirkland and Sidley barely exist) look for decent grades from NU/Mich/Uchi or very good grades from UIUC/Wisco/GWU or top of the class at Kent/Loyola/depaul etc etc.

It's funny because that's exactly what you did.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:59 am

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The IP market in Chicago really blows. Other than kirkland each firm hires maybe 1-2 IP people a year. The boutiques demand someone with outstanding law grades and decent undergrad grades / work experience. The big law firms (who other than Kirkland and Sidley barely exist) look for decent grades from NU/Mich/Uchi or very good grades from UIUC/Wisco/GWU or top of the class at Kent/Loyola/depaul etc etc.

It's funny because that's exactly what you did.
I'm thankful I didn't take money at Kent or UIUC. I'd have been assfucked.

To anyone reading; go west young man. California is the IP mecca.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:33 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:54 pm

paul34 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
To anyone reading; go west young man. California is the IP mecca.
Even in today's CA economy?
Yep. Maybe not if you are bio/pharma.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”