UCLA (sticker), Case Western (Full) or Miami (Full)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
goldenflash19

UCLA (sticker), Case Western (Full) or Miami (Full)

Postby goldenflash19 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 am

Last edited by goldenflash19 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Re: UCLA (sticker), Case Western (Full) or Miami (Full)

Postby dr123 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:46 am

Wait until you actually apply dude. you might get rejected at all of these schools

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:57 am

Things will become a lot more clear once I get my LSAT results back. I've been pondering Ed'ing to UCLA if my score is at or just below the median. I know it's too early to effectively weigh my options, but I would like to send out my apps the moment I get my LSAT back. I'm just not sure if it would be worth the ED to UCLA with no/minimal $ likely when I could probably get full tuition scholarships elsewhere?

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:11 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:I'm still waiting anxiously for my LSAT results but have a general idea of how things might fall into place. I'm a 4.0 Criminal Justice major at Kent State, and consistently PT'd around 168. Pretty sure I was somewhere in that ballpark for the LSAT. 168 is the median at UCLA and I'm not an URM, so I don't think I would get a significant scholarship from there but should have a great shot at getting accepted. UCLA is my top choice (love LA), but I am wondering if it would be worth going there sticker/minimal $ compared to what I could probably get elsewhere:

3/4-Full Tuition at Miami: Family close to campus, could stay for free

3/4-Full Tuition at Case- Born and raised NE OH, almost whole family here, love CLE but hate the weather

With the current market, would it be worth investing 200 K+ for a UCLA degree? If I leave OH, I would like to go somewhere coastal, so that makes me hesitant to apply to a lot of the T14. I'm going to try Boalt and hope for the best, but I obviously should prepare for the worst.

Thanks a lot! All tips are appreciated!

We had a temp who graduated from CWRU working at our firm a few weeks ago. He has been on the doc review circuit since 2008 and is moving on to another city like an Okie cause he hears they need reviewers out there. Unless you are at the top of your class (which is really fuckin unlikely statistically), this is the future that awaits you.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Wait until you get your LSAT back before deciding what schools to apply to. With a 168 and a 4.0 you would be remiss if you didn't apply more ambitiously (CCN is not out of the question at that point). Then, once you've applied and gotten back your results and finaid info, you can make this thread again with actual options rather than hypotheticals.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:09 am

We had a temp who graduated from CWRU working at our firm a few weeks ago. He has been on the doc review circuit since 2008 and is moving on to another city like an Okie cause he hears they need reviewers out there. Unless you are at the top of your class (which is really fuckin unlikely statistically), this is the future that awaits you.

Thanks a lot- this was just the kind of info I needed. I know times are tough for TT grads, but I always figured a CWRU degree would still hold a lot of weight in the Midwest because of the school's reputation. The general vibe I'm getting is that I'm likely best off going to the best school I can get into rather than biting on an offer from a TT.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:14 am

Wait until you get your LSAT back before deciding what schools to apply to. With a 168 and a 4.0 you would be remiss if you didn't apply more ambitiously (CCN is not out of the question at that point). Then, once you've applied and gotten back your results and finaid info, you can make this thread again with actual options rather than hypotheticals.

You are definitely right; I'd be wise to remake this with actual options on the table. I'm just trying to devise a worst-case-scenario plan should my score somehow fall below UCLA's 168 median. If it would, I might be forced to choose between money to lower ranked schools or sticker price at UCLA or maybe a T14. I never considered CCN too heavily because of their locations, but I think that has been a mistake. Thanks for the great advice!

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:35 am

When it comes to schools outside the t10, what matters MOST is where you want to work when you graduate. If you want to live in LA, then UCLA at sticker might be worth it. If you want to stay in the midwest, then going to UCLA is insane.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:40 pm

NoJob wrote:We had a temp who graduated from CWRU working at our firm a few weeks ago. He has been on the doc review circuit since 2008 and is moving on to another city like an Okie cause he hears they need reviewers out there. Unless you are at the top of your class (which is really fuckin unlikely statistically), this is the future that awaits you.

I'm sorry, but these horror stories are misleading at best. You met one CWRU grad on doc review, so therefore, all CWRU grads are probably on doc review? NO. The kids who end up on doc review never would have succeeded in a good economy, let alone now. That's why some T14 grads are on doc review despite many TT grads being fully employed. Your brain only gets you so far. You have to balance it with a personality or else no will hire you. CWRU is a strong player in its regional market and its worth it if you're not going rack up much debt.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:47 pm

Why is OSU not on this list? You would get some money there and be in state, right? That's so cheap, and OSU kills Case in OH, and anecdotally, even in Cleveland. This was just what a partner at Thompson Hine told me last year. Not to mention all the other in between schools that would give you full rides. WUSTL probably would with a 168. UIUC obv would. Indy would. You'll also almost certainly get Cornell and possibly M. How does sticker at UCLA compare with these options? I mean, if you're dead set on LA, go for it I guess. Just seems really shortsighted considering how indecisive you seem to be about where you end up.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:06 pm

Kabuo wrote:Why is OSU not on this list? You would get some money there and be in state, right? That's so cheap, and OSU kills Case in OH, and anecdotally, even in Cleveland. This was just what a partner at Thompson Hine told me last year. Not to mention all the other in between schools that would give you full rides. WUSTL probably would with a 168. UIUC obv would. Indy would. You'll also almost certainly get Cornell and possibly M. How does sticker at UCLA compare with these options? I mean, if you're dead set on LA, go for it I guess. Just seems really shortsighted considering how indecisive you seem to be about where you end up.

If you want to be in Ohio, you should apply to OSU as well as CWRU. I disagree with the Hine partner, but what do I know - there are a fair number of disgruntled CWRU law alumni out there, because of how crappy the past Dean-and-a-Half was.

But if you want to be in LA, why apply to Miami and CWRU and not, say, Pepperdine, Irvine, USC, Loyola...? Your application strategy doesn't make much sense. Wait for your score to actually come in and then update this. Attend school where you'd like to work, or just attend the best T-14 you can. I don't like debt for UCLA, personally, but if you're dead-set on LA and being an attorney, that's what you should do if it's the best school you get into.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:21 pm

You guys raise a lot of great points, thanks. Don't bash me too hard (the first step is admission, after all) but I do confess that I've been a little shallow in narrowing down schools. I've put far too much emphasis on school location and "soft" factors as opposed to more finite entities such as median salaries and rankings.

I love LA and ultimately would like to practice there. At the same time, though, I don't want to come out of school six figures in debt only to struggle finding a job in biglaw. I'm definitely going to apply to USC in addition to UCLA and hope one of them gives me a nice scholarship. I wish a T14 was in LA :/ I'm a bit wary about the TT's in So Cal because I'm not sure how their more modest median salaries would hold up against LA's cost of living. I've got an alumni connection at Loyola; would that be worth pursuing? I loved Pepperdine's campus and the school is solid for a TT- just wish it was as liberal as the other Cali schools.

I've never really considered OSU (my bad again) because I just don't like Columbus. I'm a Cleveland kid born and bred and still hold my Browns season tickets. Needless to say, my law school is more important than my football team, and I'll likely submit an application to OSU.

The prospects of low tuition + free room and board at Miami made it an appealing option. South Beach didn't hurt either (no LeBron jokes please, Cavs fan here haha). I definitely think I could do a lot better, though, and earn back the $ I'd save on room and board within a few years.

I'll keep em crossed I manage a 170 and likely submit apps to CCN + Berkeley, maybe Cornell and Penn, + UCLA, USC, OSU, CWRU, and Miami.

Thank you guys so much for the tips. My mind was in dire need of opening!
David

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:35 pm

I've been going through the same thought process and the main factor is no debt for me along with living and working in SoCal. I have a lot of experience in patent law and plan to work part time and go to Loyola. I can pay off my debt as I'm working and have a job when I graduate. The debt at most of these full-time schools is mind-blowing. Location is key as well. Firms do tend to hire from the regional schools unless you are T10-20.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Well, I'm from Cleveland as well and that was a factor for me in choosing Case. I don't find Columbus very interesting either. Still, I'd be lying if Case's ranking doesn't frustrate me at times, and there are some ancillary things OSU is going to have that CWRU simply can't offer, in addition to a generally stronger, more loyal alumni network. Case Western is a fine school and is changing for the better, but it doesn't have excellent job outcome numbers. This is especially frustrating because the Cleveland market isn't that bad - it's just that Case grads often lose out to other schools. If you do very well, you'll have some really nice options. If you're anything outside top third, you're gonna have to hustle.

I aimed for 170 and fell a few points short of that despite consistently practicing around 170s, so don't settle on a school until you have a score (or two). Also, CWRU is very picky about who they even offer the Dean's Scholarship to, so don't expect to be a lock for it even if your numbers suggest you should be. They tend to offer a 'nearly full' scholarship to many students, though, and they're no-stip.

Apply for the Moritz Scholarship at OSU, too - free OSU with guaranteed networking for internships/clerkships has got to be one of the coolest full scholarships there is.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:56 pm

@DC_Patent_Law- Best of luck at Loyola! It sounds like you have a very solid gameplan. The cost of full-time at Loyola is staggering. I definitely couldn't afford to go there w/o a substantial scholly (preferably with no stips). I just turned 21 and am finishing undergrad a year early because I loaded up on credit hours. I've worked through undergrad but don't know if I would want to try it during law school, especially since it's discouraged or forbidden during 1L. That's awesome that you are going to attend law school while working, though. I give you all the credit in the world!

@Ersatz Haderach- I just researched the Moritz scholarship- what a great opportunity! It's definitely worth a shot and would give me great connections within the state.

One big question, if you don't mind. If you had to choose a law school all over again, would you have still chosen Case? Case has a great reputation regionally and is well-respected across the nation. Honestly, the odds are I will not finish in the top 1/3 of my class. I've gotten all A's since 1st grade, but everyone is smart at law school and the curve is brutal. The general vibe I get is that I should likely attend the best school I can somewhere near where I'd like to work. Case's no-stip schollies are extremely enticing, though. What do you think? Thanks.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:44 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:@DC_Patent_Law- Best of luck at Loyola! It sounds like you have a very solid gameplan. The cost of full-time at Loyola is staggering. I definitely couldn't afford to go there w/o a substantial scholly (preferably with no stips). I just turned 21 and am finishing undergrad a year early because I loaded up on credit hours. I've worked through undergrad but don't know if I would want to try it during law school, especially since it's discouraged or forbidden during 1L. That's awesome that you are going to attend law school while working, though. I give you all the credit in the world!

@Ersatz Haderach- I just researched the Moritz scholarship- what a great opportunity! It's definitely worth a shot and would give me great connections within the state.

One big question, if you don't mind. If you had to choose a law school all over again, would you have still chosen Case? Case has a great reputation regionally and is well-respected across the nation. Honestly, the odds are I will not finish in the top 1/3 of my class. I've gotten all A's since 1st grade, but everyone is smart at law school and the curve is brutal. The general vibe I get is that I should likely attend the best school I can somewhere near where I'd like to work. Case's no-stip schollies are extremely enticing, though. What do you think? Thanks.

Yes, I'd choose Case again, but my situation was a bit unique. I took the LSAT twice and ended up with a 165 and a 166, so I wasn't going to improve in any meaningful way since the T14 mostly averages scores. I did not want to accumulate interest on loans in school unless it was for an amazing school with really, really good job numbers, and even then I was hesitant. The range of schools that gave me that option were mostly in the upper T2/lower T1. If I'm going to one of those, might as well be in my hometown where COL is super low. I would have happily turned down Case for any of my 'dream' schools, but 166/3.6 didn't get me into any of those. If I end up working in Cleveland, I'm fine with that, even positive about it - so that was that. Why blow 120k on a mildly better OCI? If it's not T14, I wanted it to be zero tuition or close.

The job numbers should be a concern, though. They aren't rosy anywhere, and although I don't know how things are going to shake out with my class, the last graduating class had a rough time. The 3Ls this year seem to be doing a bit better. We'll see.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:21 pm

Thank you so much for all the info and your thoughts! I cannot tell you how helpful they have been. Honestly, I think I'm in a very similar situation to yours, especially if my LSAT would fall below the 168 mark. I have my dream schools (UCLA, Boalt) and am keeping them crossed I'll get accepted into one, if not both. If I wouldn't and would have zero chance at T14 or even T20, my best option might be to choose a lower T1 or upper T2 based on practicality. I'd likely get substantial schollies to both Case or Miami if I at least hit a 165. Case is close to family and convenient. Miami would include free rent in a tropical climate.

I also think the recent job crisis for law school grads is more indicative of the market itself than school rankings. Case is extremely reputable in NE OH, and I can hardly imagine T1 grads wanting to move to such a boring, cold place haha. I would imagine Case and OSU grads would dominate Cleveland.

Thanks again for all your help- it's been nice to find out about Case from an actual person rather than an article!

Argyle Rocks

Postby Argyle Rocks » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:12 am

I think you have received a lot of decent advice so far in this thread. Definitely consider where you want to practice (general wisdom says this is true especially when you look outside of the T14 schools), and also consider how debt-averse you are. Some people don't even blink when they decide they'll take out everything in loans. Others feel that accepting at least some scholarship/grant money will mitigate the risk of going to law school (since they'll be in less debt than paying sticker). And still, there are others who don't belong in the aforementioned two categories. Law school is definitely a big (huge?) investment, and the total dollar amount of your law education (assuming you will have loans) will be higher than the amount of loans you took out (due to interest).

Depending on how your LSAT score comes out, I think you could definitely stand a chance at getting at least a decent scholarship at UCLA. Based on anecdotal evidence (as well as admit stats on LawSchoolNumbers), UCLA and USC seem to love high GPAs (more so than high LSATs). That is, of course, not to say that you only need a high GPA.

Anecdotally speaking, one of my friends applied last year with about a 3.6x and a 170 and was offered admission + $20K a year. Given your higher GPA, I would be at least somewhat shocked if your scored hovered close to 170 and you were not offered something similar (if not, more). Of course, I have heard strange things happen. I think what makes it tougher for you (at least, financially) is the out-of-state cost of attending UCLA.

ED to UCLA would be a risky play... especially if your LSAT score comes out pretty well. The risk of ED is that your scholarship negotiating power goes down (since acceptance is binding, and UCLA has no obligation at that point to increase your scholarship). That, and the fact that you could potentially be missing out on T14 schools (which another poster has brought up, and which you have replied to). While national mobility is not guaranteed (even in the T14), it is there and much more likely than schools outside of the T14. It boils down to how hell-bent you are in practicing in LA. At this point, it will be a waiting game for you until your LSAT score comes out.

Anyhow, best of luck! I hope you struck it big on the LSAT! :D

tyro

Postby tyro » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:29 am

mrtoren wrote:
NoJob wrote:We had a temp who graduated from CWRU working at our firm a few weeks ago. He has been on the doc review circuit since 2008 and is moving on to another city like an Okie cause he hears they need reviewers out there. Unless you are at the top of your class (which is really fuckin unlikely statistically), this is the future that awaits you.

I'm sorry, but these horror stories are misleading at best. You met one CWRU grad on doc review, so therefore, all CWRU grads are probably on doc review? NO. The kids who end up on doc review never would have succeeded in a good economy, let alone now. That's why some T14 grads are on doc review despite many TT grads being fully employed. Your brain only gets you so far. You have to balance it with a personality or else no will hire you. CWRU is a strong player in its regional market and its worth it if you're not going rack up much debt.

Have you not browsed the OCI threads? Unless everone is trolling, the Midwest is utterly fucked right now. Why would you think someone who is not at the top of the class at a regional Midwestern T2 school would have a good chance at a real firm job? It's not the people or the schools who are at fault. There just aren't many open slots in this area.

blackandyellow

Postby blackandyellow » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:37 am

Ersatz Haderach wrote:
goldenflash19 wrote:@DC_Patent_Law- Best of luck at Loyola! It sounds like you have a very solid gameplan. The cost of full-time at Loyola is staggering. I definitely couldn't afford to go there w/o a substantial scholly (preferably with no stips). I just turned 21 and am finishing undergrad a year early because I loaded up on credit hours. I've worked through undergrad but don't know if I would want to try it during law school, especially since it's discouraged or forbidden during 1L. That's awesome that you are going to attend law school while working, though. I give you all the credit in the world!

Yes, I'd choose Case again, but my situation was a bit unique. I took the LSAT twice and ended up with a 165 and a 166, so I wasn't going to improve in any meaningful way since the T14 mostly averages scores. I did not want to accumulate interest on loans in school unless it was for an amazing school with really, really good job numbers, and even then I was hesitant. The range of schools that gave me that option were mostly in the upper T2/lower T1. If I'm going to one of those, might as well be in my hometown where COL is super low. I would have happily turned down Case for any of my 'dream' schools, but 166/3.6 didn't get me into any of those. If I end up working in Cleveland, I'm fine with that, even positive about it - so that was that. Why blow 120k on a mildly better OCI? If it's not T14, I wanted it to be zero tuition or close.

The job numbers should be a concern, though. They aren't rosy anywhere, and although I don't know how things are going to shake out with my class, the last graduating class had a rough time. The 3Ls this year seem to be doing a bit better. We'll see.

I'm not sure if BU/BC/USC/UCLA/Texas oci is only "mildy" better than case OCI. I think it is a lot better. NLJ250 placements at BU/BC are 3-4x better than case. My friend at case last year told me there were 3 firms for Chicago OCI at Case. Of the 3 2 were volunteer and 1 was IP. Early Interview Week consisted of 12-14 firms or something. I think at BU/BC there are over 40+ firms.

The problem is at schools like case/upitt, a decent number of graduates will not end up with a legal job at all. The whole decision isn't whether or not you are settling for a cleveland job vs NY... Also, Clevelanders, like Detroiters are very protective of their own city. They only like locals. Ie From Cleveland and not Toledo or Columbus. It is not a good idea to go to school in the midwest unless you have ties to the city.

Especially with IBR, generally you should go to the highest NLJ250 placing school you can get into. Unless there is a very small difference in placement.. ie Upitt vs Case. Even with a full ride, time=money. Plus a JD will preclude you from other lower level jobs. Employers will deem you "overqualified."

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:28 am

blackandyellow wrote:
Ersatz Haderach wrote:

I'm not sure if BU/BC/USC/UCLA/Texas oci is only "mildy" better than case OCI. I think it is a lot better. NLJ250 placements at BU/BC are 3-4x better than case. My friend at case last year told me there were 3 firms for Chicago OCI at Case. Of the 3 2 were volunteer and 1 was IP. Early Interview Week consisted of 12-14 firms or something. I think at BU/BC there are over 40+ firms.

The problem is at schools like case/upitt, a decent number of graduates will not end up with a legal job at all. The whole decision isn't whether or not you are settling for a cleveland job vs NY... Also, Clevelanders, like Detroiters are very protective of their own city. They only like locals. Ie From Cleveland and not Toledo or Columbus. It is not a good idea to go to school in the midwest unless you have ties to the city.

Especially with IBR, generally you should go to the highest NLJ250 placing school you can get into. Unless there is a very small difference in placement.. ie Upitt vs Case. Even with a full ride, time=money. Plus a JD will preclude you from other lower level jobs. Employers will deem you "overqualified."

Yeah, that's fair enough. Regional OCI for Case has sucked in the past few years. There's a few exceptions but generally only for the top 15%, some of whom had multiple LA/NYC callbacks - I don't know what's up with Chicago, but you're dead on, we had almost nothing at OCI this year. Early Interview Week was 19 firms, mostly local, and the regional OCI was a total of 10-12 more spread around, I'm not counting the volunteer stuff. I don't know the outcomes for OCI this year - people are getting callbacks and jobs, including some biglaw, but many others aren't. Personally I did not apply for much of OCI, got three interviews from things pseudo-related to what I want to do, and did not receive offers.

There are certainly times I doubt my decision and wish I could have had a better shot at more interviews. The general rule for T2 schools is that you shouldn't attend without money, and you should be willing to work in that school's regional market after graduation, and not just in Biglaw. And yes, people from CWRU Law are going to graduate and get nothing. Probably 20-30% of the class will end up doing low-level things they could have done without a JD (that aren't even 'enhanced' by a JD) or doing nothing. Most of those are the kids who go to law school for all the wrong reasons, but some of them are simply victims of the horrible market and failure of ABA/law schools to present a realistic picture of the market or restrict the number of grads. I don't see myself among them, but who does? I urge anyone considering law school to look at the 'worst case scenario' for each school and decide if you can live with it or not.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:17 pm

I've seen first hand how severely the recession has devastated the Midwest, but I guess I underestimated the impact it has had on law school grads. It sounds like going to a TT in the Midwest is a bit of a risk because, if I don't finish in the upper echelon of my class, I'll be forced to seek a job in a region where there simply aren't that many like you guys have pointed out. Not finding a job with a regional degree is probably my worst case scenario out of all my options.

@Argyle- Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm still sitting on pins and needles thinking about the LSAT but am really encouraged about the scholarship your friend received with his numbers. Even with out of state, I think I would probably pounce on a $20,000 a year scholly to UCLA (pending something absurd wouldn't happen like admission to Columbia). I hope I'm lucky enough to have that option!

Thanks again for the advice. You guys have been great!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”