Philly-Centric Questions

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Chief Littlebighead

Philly-Centric Questions

Postby Chief Littlebighead » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:20 pm

Hello TLS. I am visiting Temple Law this weekend to check out the school and the surrounding area/city center, and I will be staying in the Sofitel on South 17th st. I assume that the price to valet park my car will be ridiculously expensive, and I could probably park it myself for a lower cost. So, does anyone know of any safe places to park the crab for a couple nights that is close to the Sofitel?

Also, anything of note to consider when visiting Temple? I have done my research and it seems like the school is not located in that great of an area, but is not far from the nicer sections. I would be attending the part-time division, so would theoretically be able to afford living in city center.

Aristone

Re: Philly-Centric Questions

Postby Aristone » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:38 pm

There are a number of parking lots right in that area...there's one at 20th and Sampson, 18th and Walnut on Rittenhouse (slightly pricey), 15th and locust (behind Fado Pub), theres a lot at 16 or 17th and samson as well. All of those are safe...just drive a half block each way around there and you'll find a cheaper parking lot than valet.

I don't know much about temple law school (i went elsewhere not in philly), but I know a decent amount about the city, the hiring process (work at a large firm in philly) and so forth. If you have any questions, let me know.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:45 pm

Came here hoping for a raunchy Villanova v. Temple debate, am disappointed.

Chief Littlebighead

Postby Chief Littlebighead » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:54 pm

Thank you Aristone, I appreciate the information.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Aristone wrote:but I know a decent amount about the city, the hiring process (work at a large firm in philly) and so forth.

Thoughts on the possibility of going to Philly Big Law from a job as a Court of Common Pleas clerk?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Chief Littlebighead wrote:Hello TLS. I am visiting Temple Law this weekend to check out the school and the surrounding area/city center, and I will be staying in the Sofitel on South 17th st. I assume that the price to valet park my car will be ridiculously expensive, and I could probably park it myself for a lower cost. So, does anyone know of any safe places to park the crab for a couple nights that is close to the Sofitel?

Also, anything of note to consider when visiting Temple? I have done my research and it seems like the school is not located in that great of an area, but is not far from the nicer sections. I would be attending the part-time division, so would theoretically be able to afford living in city center.

Center City's popular, but if you're looking to save money, I'd look to Manayunk/Roxborough/Mt. Airy/East Falls (be very careful where in East Falls though).

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:15 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Chief Littlebighead wrote:Hello TLS. I am visiting Temple Law this weekend to check out the school and the surrounding area/city center, and I will be staying in the Sofitel on South 17th st. I assume that the price to valet park my car will be ridiculously expensive, and I could probably park it myself for a lower cost. So, does anyone know of any safe places to park the crab for a couple nights that is close to the Sofitel?

Center City's popular, but if you're looking to save money, I'd look to Manayunk/Roxborough/Mt. Airy/East Falls (be very careful where in East Falls though).

i'd say fishtown or northern liberties if you're talking about places to live affordably that are reasonably close to temple but with minimal risk of getting shot. manayunk and roxborough are nice, but too much of a commute IMO.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:22 pm

crazyblink653 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

i'd say fishtown or northern liberties if you're talking about places to live affordably that are reasonably close to temple but with minimal risk of getting shot. manayunk and roxborough are nice, but too much of a commute IMO.

The liveable parties of Fishtown and Northern Liberties are already on the pricey side (and becoming more expensive by the day).

The Manayunk/Roxborough commute is about a half hour each way. That's on the higher side, but definitely manageable, especially if you like the neighborhood scene and/or are really trying to stretch your dollar.

In the end, it all depends on how you want to balance budgetary/proximity concerns.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:45 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
crazyblink653 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

The liveable parties of Fishtown and Northern Liberties are already on the pricey side (and becoming more expensive by the day).

The Manayunk/Roxborough commute is about a half hour each way. That's on the higher side, but definitely manageable, especially if you like the neighborhood scene and/or are really trying to stretch your dollar.

In the end, it all depends on how you want to balance budgetary/proximity concerns.

South Philly near the Takser-Morris and Snyder stops on the Orange Line should be in this conversation.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:47 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
crazyblink653 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Center City's popular, but if you're looking to save money, I'd look to Manayunk/Roxborough/Mt. Airy/East Falls (be very careful where in East Falls though).

South Philly near the Takser-Morris and Snyder stops on the Orange Line should be in this conversation.

Credited.

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:05 pm

[quote=
South Philly near the Takser-Morris and Snyder stops on the Orange Line should be in this conversation.[/quote]
Credited.[/quote]

very true, but you have to be careful as you get deeper into south philly because the quality of the neighborhood can change from block to block.

Chief Littlebighead

Postby Chief Littlebighead » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:27 pm

I will definitely check out the Fishtown and Northern Liberties areas during my stay this weekend. I'm not really overly concerned for my own safety, but I have a young daughter that will be coming to stay with me periodically, and I don't want her to have to dodge bullets on the way in the door.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”