Retarded to Apply to School Just Cause of Fee Waiver?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Kess

Retarded to Apply to School Just Cause of Fee Waiver?

Postby Kess » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:58 pm

So Iowa sent me a fee waiver. I have no intentions of ever practicing in Iowa. Nonetheless, it's a pretty good school and I am kind of debating if I should apply there just because? Or is that a complete waste of $16? I am guessing the latter.

emkay625

Re: Retarded to Apply to School Just Cause of Fee Waiver?

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:05 pm

I would apply.

If anything, it might give you another peer school offer you could use to negotiate with other schools.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:10 pm

emkay625 wrote:I would apply.

If anything, it might give you another peer school offer you could use to negotiate with other schools.

If you want to go to school somewhere else in the midwest, sure. But I don't think a scholly from Iowa will be much help when trying to negotiate for $ at Fordham.

On the other hand, it's 16 bucks. Unless the Iowa app takes a lot of extra effort, I don't see why you shouldn't apply.

Kess

Postby Kess » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:06 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

If you want to go to school somewhere else in the midwest, sure. But I don't think a scholly from Iowa will be much help when trying to negotiate for $ at Fordham.

On the other hand, it's 16 bucks. Unless the Iowa app takes a lot of extra effort, I don't see why you shouldn't apply.

Well I am from New York City and am really interested in staying in the tristate area. That's why I kind of think applying to Iowa won't do me much me good, but maybe I am wrong?

I have been PTing in the low 160s, but have no idea what I got on the actual exam yesterday. I am hoping on a T2 school like Brooklyn or Cardozo.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:10 pm

On these facts, yes, retarded.

mths

Postby mths » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:21 pm

Kess wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Well I am from New York City and am really interested in staying in the tristate area. That's why I kind of think applying to Iowa won't do me much me good, but maybe I Am wrong?

I have been PTing in the low 160s, but have no idea what I got on the actual exam yesterday. I am hoping on a T2 school like Brooklyn or Cardozo.

is your GPA really low or something?

Kess

Postby Kess » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:27 pm

mths wrote:
Kess wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Well I am from New York City and am really interested in staying in the tristate area. That's why I kind of think applying to Iowa won't do me much me good, but maybe I Am wrong?

is your GPA really low or something?

No, it's quite the opposite. My LSAT pts were low, but I want to apply as is unless I did substantially worse than I been PTing at.

SlipperyPete

Postby SlipperyPete » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:48 pm

Last edited by SlipperyPete on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mths

Postby mths » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Kess wrote:
mths wrote:is your GPA really low or something?

No, it's quite the opposite. My LSAT pts were low, but I want to apply as is unless I did substantially worse than I been PTing at.

Low 160s and a high GPA will get you something better than a t2 I think.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:03 pm

apply for leverage with other schools re: schollys.

sjedood

Postby sjedood » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:14 pm

Kess wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Well I am from New York City and am really interested in staying in the tristate area. That's why I kind of think applying to Iowa won't do me much me good, but maybe I am wrong?

Cardozo isnt really a t2...it places better than a bunch of t1s, actually.

Kess

Postby Kess » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:31 pm

SlipperyPete wrote:
I really wanted a particular school ranked similar to Notre Dame and thought I could leverage $$ or acceptance from ND to get the equivalent at this one similar school. I never considered attending ND. When people would ask me where I applied, I'd forget about ND and leave it off the list. I even mailed in a deposit to another school before I'd heard back from ND. And then when I did hear from ND, I told them I wouldn't be attending.

But guess what? After my cycle had completed, and I'd sought advice from more people, I ended up choosing Notre Dame after all. (I had to call them up and beg them to let me have my spot back. Thankfully, they did.)

So I would apply. You may swear up and down you won't go to Iowa, and you probably won't. I'm sure my example is the exception. But you never know what weird thing might happen to your cycle, what new wrinkle might arise in the next 8 months of your life, or what sort of criteria you might consider in the future that you aren't considering now.

Thanks, I think you might have convinced me. lol

Kess

Postby Kess » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:38 pm

I'd be really happy if I got into Cardozo. My LSAC GPA is 4.01. I can't say much more than that till I get my score back, I'm hoping it won't be significantly lower than I expect. I know you all will tell me to retake, but that's not my question at hand here.

If I really want Cardozo or Brooklyn (or $ at St. Johns), given my #s, are there any schools anywhere in the country that would make sense applying to? (Obviously I would only apply if I had a waiver- so far I have been successful at soliciting waivers from Pace and Buffalo only with my GPA without an LSAT score)

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Kess wrote:I'd be really happy if I got into Cardozo. My LSAC GPA is 4.01. I can't say much more than that till I get my score back, I'm hoping it won't be significantly lower than I expect. I know you all will tell me to retake, but that's not my question at hand here.

If I really want Cardozo or Brooklyn (or $ at St. Johns), given my #s, are there any schools anywhere in the country that would make sense applying to? (Obviously I would only apply if I had a waiver- so far I have been successful at soliciting waivers from Pace and Buffalo only with my GPA without an LSAT score)

If I were you, I would apply to UC-Berkeley and any school that has a 25% LSAT that is equivalent to or lower than the LSAT score you make.

EDIT: you could also ED to UVA.

EDIT: I wouldn't bother with Iowa.

Kess

Postby Kess » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:07 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Kess wrote:I'd be really happy if I got into Cardozo. My LSAC GPA is 4.01. I can't say much more than that till I get my score back, I'm hoping it won't be significantly lower than I expect. I know you all will tell me to retake, but that's not my question at hand here.

If I were you, I would apply to UC-Berkeley and any school that has a 25% LSAT that is equivalent to or lower than the LSAT score you make.

UVA? I think there is no chance there in the world. Their 25th% percentile is 165... at best, I'm expecting like a 162. Then I'm also having nightmares that I did worse than I did on my first diagnostic. Hopefully, these are unfounded fears. But I guess thinking about this doesn't make much sense before getting my score.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Kess wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

UVA? I think there is no chance there in the world. Their 25th% percentile is 165... at best, I'm expecting like a 162. Then I'm also having nightmares that I did worse than I did on my first diagnostic. Hopefully, these are unfounded fears. But I guess thinking about this doesn't make much sense before getting my score.

UVA likes high GPA splitters.

Kess

Postby Kess » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:28 am

Thanks, I never considered that there is any possibility that I have a shot. Well, I guess I will have to see what I scored on yesterday's exam.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”