Options for Tier 1 grads? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nygrl

New

Options for Tier 1 grads?

Post by nygrl » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:58 pm

I took the October LSAT and am currently waiting on my score, but I am expecting something in the mid 160s. I scored a 162 in June. My original plan was to attend a T-14 and do Biglaw but I doubt this will be a realistic option for me. I'd like some advice on options for T-25 or other Tier 1 graduates. (And yes I realize that if my score doesn't improve T-25 won't be an option for me either). It's my understanding that BU/BC/Fordham place about 20-30% in Biglaw and the rest of the class does doc review or temp work. First, is this really the case? Assuming the student has no major connections, are options really that limited for graduates?

Second, are there any specialties that are (at least somewhat) in demand right now?

Finally, I'd like to know the alternatives to working in NY. I've read that there is a decent demand for lawyers in Texas. Is this true? If so, are there any other markets like this? I'd prefer to stay in NY but my main priority is to be employed and I'd be willing to attend a school in one of these markets (if this exists).

I've read employment statistics and other threads on these topics but I haven't found anything that was able to answer the specific questions that I have. If these questions have been covered in other threads, I apologize (I am terrible at using the search function) and would appreciate it if the links could be provided.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Options for Tier 1 grads?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:16 pm

GPA?

Don't go to school in Texas unless you are set on ending up there. If so, SMU is a decent option with their 75K scholly (if you score mid 160s.) If you really are flexible about where you end up, apply broadly and use scholarship offers as leverage. It's hard to say what will happen to you if you miss the Biglaw boat, but it will be a lot easier to deal with if you've limited your debt.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:47 pm

nygrl wrote: It's my understanding that BU/BC/Fordham place about 20-30% in Biglaw and the rest of the class does doc review or temp work. First, is this really the case?
No.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:49 pm

nygrl wrote: It's my understanding that BU/BC/Fordham place about 20-30% in Biglaw and the rest of the class does doc review or temp work. First, is this really the case?
Where did you hear that?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:53 pm

chimp wrote:
Where did you hear that?
Probably this guy

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nygrl

New

Post by nygrl » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Tiago Splitter - My GPA is a 3.81. Thanks for the recommendation on SMU, I'll look into.

I'm relieved to hear that my understanding of T-25 grads is incorrect. So what happens to those who miss out on Biglaw from these schools?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:29 pm

nygrl wrote:Tiago Splitter - My GPA is a 3.81. Thanks for the recommendation on SMU, I'll look into.

I'm relieved to hear that my understanding of T-25 grads is incorrect. So what happens to those who miss out on Biglaw from these schools?
Midsize firms, small firms, local govt., federal govt., state or federal clerkship, some in-house, doc. review, unemployment. It varies too much to say.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Grizz wrote:
nygrl wrote:Tiago Splitter - My GPA is a 3.81. Thanks for the recommendation on SMU, I'll look into.

Midsize firms, small firms, local govt., federal govt., state or federal clerkship, some in-house, doc. review, unemployment. It varies too much to say.
+1

There's no easy formula. http://www.lawschooltransparency.com can give you an idea.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:41 pm

Grizz wrote:

You got the order backwards.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:33 pm

chimp wrote:
Where did you hear that?
TLS common knowledge, brah. It's a simple logic equation:

If no biglaw ----> Contract attorney

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:37 pm

It really depends on a lot of things, including market. What area are you from and what areas would you prefer to live and work in?

nygrl

New

Post by nygrl » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Ideally I would want to do M&A work in NY, but since those positions are super competitive I'm trying to figure out other options for myself.

Thanks for the advice everyone! It's much appreciated.

lawbanshee

New

Post by lawbanshee » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:33 pm

LOL at non-Biglaw "options".

Do you think they'd staff these pathetic, low-wage doc review drone gigs as quickly/cheaply as they do if there were tons and tons of "midlaw" jobs paying 85 K and likewise tons of "save the children/whales/Gitmo detainees etc public interest jobs, plus the always super-easy-to-score governement gigs?

Let's take a quick gander at some NYC area "options" for non-Biglaw bound grads:

--LinkRemoved--

and

--LinkRemoved--

If you have 4+ years of specialized mortgage/foreclosure experience, you can get a whopping $33 an hour:

--LinkRemoved--

Stay away from law school.

caputlupinum

Bronze

Post by caputlupinum » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:01 pm

lawbanshee wrote:LOL at non-Biglaw "options".

Do you think they'd staff these pathetic, low-wage doc review drone gigs as quickly/cheaply as they do if there were tons and tons of "midlaw" jobs paying 85 K and likewise tons of "save the children/whales/Gitmo detainees etc public interest jobs, plus the always super-easy-to-score governement gigs?

Let's take a quick gander at some NYC area "options" for non-Biglaw bound grads:

--LinkRemoved--

and

--LinkRemoved--

If you have 4+ years of specialized mortgage/foreclosure experience, you can get a whopping $33 an hour:

--LinkRemoved--

Stay away from law school.
lol @ summing up professional job search via craigslist.... you're a tool!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”