University of Arizona Full Ride- When is it worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Foodandstuff

University of Arizona Full Ride- When is it worth it?

Postby Foodandstuff » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:30 pm

Howdy All,

First time poster, long time reader. If I've learned anything from TLS, its that a lot of new people come here posting in ignorance about going to a TTT with half scholly thinking it will make a difference, or going to a T20 at sticker and banking on their being in the top 10% and everything working out okay for them.

I like to think that I'm not one of these folks, primarily because I've read a great deal about how terrible the law market is through the New York Times, these forums, and checking job prospects from various firms and such. I also understand that LRAPs (or whatever variation) are hyped up to be a lot better than they actually are for most schools, especially at T-14s, where it seems like, save for HYS and NYU, the LRAP is almost worse than just going on the federal repayment plan.

What I'm getting at it is this; as an Arizona student, how much more worth it would it be to take a full ride from U of A than pay sticker at a T-14? My numbers (3.8, 174) seem to put me in range to get something close to that, whereas at most other places I'd be paying sticker, all with loans. I'm not an URM, straight out of school, nothing special in the softs. Just a student who has wanted to do law, study law and be a part of law for a long time, and I want to do it the smartest way possible.

Is that way through getting a full ride to a place like U of A, or still worth it to bite the bullet at the T-14?

Re: University of Arizona Full Ride- When is it worth it?

Postby 071816 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:31 pm

It's worth it when you're from Arizona and/or wanna practice there.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:33 pm

Enjoy $ from T14 duderino

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:57 pm

You'll get huge money from the T-14.

I was offered a near full ride last year from ASU and re-took. I don't think I'd go to law school in Arizona even if it was for free, but for someone who wants to stay here long term I could see that choice being made. Just not with your numbers.

Postby 071816 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:10 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:You'll get huge money from the T-14.

I was offered a near full ride last year from ASU and re-took. I don't think I'd go to law school in Arizona even if it was for free, but for someone who wants to stay here long term I could see that choice being made. Just not with your numbers.

I agree with this. My response was just to your general question. I didn't even look at your numbers.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:37 pm

If you are interested in staying in Arizona long term, consider reading over this thread to see what the general sentiment about getting into Phoenix BigLaw is like.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=164365

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:58 pm

don't go to arizona with those numbers....you've got a shot at a full-ride at a t14

Glock

Postby Glock » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:34 pm

If you go to UA you will need to be in the top 10% of your class to get a good job. Not good.

At a T14 you will also have a shot back at Phoenix if you are in the top 1/4-1/3, but you will also have access to tons of other markets.

First, with your numbers you can get a full ride at a much better school than UA. Texas? Second, you should get fat cash at much of the T14 and you have a shot at H. Aim high.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:13 pm

chimp wrote:It's worth it when you're from Arizona and/or wanna practice there and/or don't mind the significant drop-off in career prospects.

Not trying to be flip. Just saying.

hangtransferloose

Postby hangtransferloose » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:03 pm

I call flame.

If you have a 3.8/174 you should be smart enough to know the answer to this question.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Foodandstuff wrote: I also understand that LRAPs (or whatever variation) are hyped up to be a lot better than they actually are for most schools, especially at T-14s, where it seems like, save for HYS and NYU, the LRAP is almost worse than just going on the federal repayment plan.

lawl. LRAPs outside of the T14 tend to be overhyped. Also, blatant NYU trolling, considering at least UChi's LRAP > NYU's, and I think Berkeley's is better as well.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:56 pm

Go to T10 and get some cash. If you're actually for real with your numbers, PM me. I was in similar position and chose T14 (sticker) and am happy with my choice since I have a job and love my school and experience.

And yes, use TLS for general info, but please apply to some T10 schools, then GO VISIT and see if you like the place.

LawSchoolChampion

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:43 am

Full ride at NU if you ED with those numbers - pending work experience (I would think).

I'd place an easy full ride to BU ED with those numbers as well.

Honestly, you are wasting your time at U of A with those #'s.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:02 pm

LawSchoolChampion wrote:Full ride at NU if you ED with those numbers - pending work experience (I would think).

NU is credited, but why the fuck would you want to ED to BU with those numbers?

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Advice ITT is correct. There's no reason you should go anywhere outside the T14 with those numbers. You won't have to pay sticker.

LawSchoolChampion

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:12 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
LawSchoolChampion wrote:Full ride at NU if you ED with those numbers - pending work experience (I would think).

NU is credited, but why the fuck would you want to ED to BU with those numbers?

Both ED-Full Tuition programs are new...no one knows exactly what they will and will not offer the full-ride for.

BU is a pretty good school for a free ride at.

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Foodandstuff wrote:Howdy All,

First time poster, long time reader. If I've learned anything from TLS, its that a lot of new people come here posting in ignorance about going to a TTT with half scholly thinking it will make a difference, or going to a T20 at sticker and banking on their being in the top 10% and everything working out okay for them.

I like to think that I'm not one of these folks, primarily because I've read a great deal about how terrible the law market is through the New York Times, these forums, and checking job prospects from various firms and such. I also understand that LRAPs (or whatever variation) are hyped up to be a lot better than they actually are for most schools, especially at T-14s, where it seems like, save for HYS and NYU, the LRAP is almost worse than just going on the federal repayment plan.

What I'm getting at it is this; as an Arizona student, how much more worth it would it be to take a full ride from U of A than pay sticker at a T-14? My numbers (3.8, 174) seem to put me in range to get something close to that, whereas at most other places I'd be paying sticker, all with loans. I'm not an URM, straight out of school, nothing special in the softs. Just a student who has wanted to do law, study law and be a part of law for a long time, and I want to do it the smartest way possible.

Is that way through getting a full ride to a place like U of A, or still worth it to bite the bullet at the T-14?

Go to a real law school. There are certain things that Arizona grads cannot do and certain jobs that they cannot get.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:48 pm

LawSchoolChampion wrote:BU is a pretty good school for a free ride at.

Sure, but with those numbers, OP can get a free ride (or something close to it) at a much better school.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:50 pm

Please don't waste those numbers on U of A. A t-14 will give you money. Even if you go into a little bit of debt it will be much better in the long run.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:39 pm

ED to Northwestern.

zozin

Postby zozin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:58 pm

It's never worth it because you'll get into T14 with $$$ with those numbers.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”