Will any school do for a Solo?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jared6180

Will any school do for a Solo?

Postby jared6180 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:19 am

What are the factors to look for if you are wanting to go solo or join a small 2-3 attorney firm? It seems like going to Harvard would not carry as much weight in this situation. I have been thinking about the solo route, but having some sort of security just out of school would be nice... I am just wondering if there are schools that are actually "better" for solo, small firms?

Tom Joad

Re: Will any school do for a Solo?

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:23 am

One with a full ride and stipend.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:50 am

jared6180 wrote:What are the factors to look for if you are wanting to go solo or join a small 2-3 attorney firm? It seems like going to Harvard would not carry as much weight in this situation. I have been thinking about the solo route, but having some sort of security just out of school would be nice... I am just wondering if there are schools that are actually "better" for solo, small firms?

Probably the strongest school in your preferred market, but be sure to balance regional strength with expenses.

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:32 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Probably the strongest school in your preferred market, but be sure to balance regional strength with expenses.

I have Washburn and Kansas to choose from if I go this solo route. Both have the JD/MBA program I would like to do. I am pretty sure I would get 25-50% $$ from both, maybe a bit more from Washburn. We have a few good size corporations in Topeka (Payless, Hills, Security Benefit, 2 regional hospitals, and more) that the MBA would open the door to not to mention we are the state capital and have a ton of government work if Solo didn't work out.

Washburn- TTT- $15-16k, LOTS of alumni still here in Topeka. Pretty much stuck in Kansas...i live literally 3 minutes from campus

KU-TT- $14-15k, spread through Kansas and Missouri mostly...Would have to commute to and from 25 miles each way

Because KU has a bit better ranking I keep thinking it would be better respected in this area, but I will say most Topekans are proud of their little Law school at Washburn and the majority believe it to be one of the best in the country...and for Legal Research I would agree as I think it is in the T25 in that ONE element...

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:41 pm

jared6180 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Probably the strongest school in your preferred market, but be sure to balance regional strength with expenses.

I have Washburn and Kansas to choose from if I go this solo route. Both have the JD/MBA program I would like to do. I am pretty sure I would get 25-50% $$ from both, maybe a bit more from Washburn. We have a few good size corporations in Topeka (Payless, Hills, Security Benefit, 2 regional hospitals, and more) that the MBA would open the door to not to mention we are the state capital and have a ton of government work if Solo didn't work out.

Washburn- TTT- $15-16k, LOTS of alumni still here in Topeka. Pretty much stuck in Kansas...i live literally 3 minutes from campus

KU-TT- $14-15k, spread through Kansas and Missouri mostly...Would have to commute to and from 25 miles each way

Because KU has a bit better ranking I keep thinking it would be better respected in this area, but I will say most Topekans are proud of their little Law school at Washburn and the majority believe it to be one of the best in the country...and for Legal Research I would agree as I think it is in the T25 in that ONE element...

I am immediately suspicious of Washburn since they recruit like crazy at my Mega Third Tier undergrad.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:02 pm

jared6180 wrote:

If you're sure you want to work in Kansas, KU is a good option. It's the most highly-regarded school in the state, in-state tuition is dirt cheap, and if you can swing some scholarship money, so much the better. I wouldn't take Washburn if you can get into KU. Even within Kansas, it's seen as a level below KU. At least outside of Topeka.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:43 am

Gecko of Doom wrote:
jared6180 wrote:

If you're sure you want to work in Kansas, KU is a good option. It's the most highly-regarded school in the state, in-state tuition is dirt cheap, and if you can swing some scholarship money, so much the better. I wouldn't take Washburn if you can get into KU. Even within Kansas, it's seen as a level below KU. At least outside of Topeka.

This is extremely credited. Especially since KU is as cheap/cheaper than Washburn.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:50 am

What's a Washburn?

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:56 am

prezidentv8 wrote:What's a Washburn?

I kind of agree, most people have never heard of it.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:03 am

Solos come at all different sorts of levels. Penn really impressed this one small firm I'm trying to extern with. Than again, its not exactly your run-of-the-mill small firm.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:10 am

jared6180 wrote:

I get "What's a ''******" and "What's a ********?" a lot myself.
Last edited by prezidentv8 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:26 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
jared6180 wrote:

I get "What's a Sonoma State?" and "What's a Seawolf?" a lot myself.

Lets say I get lucky and somehow get a 168+ on an LSAT...that means I have a great chance at a full ride at Washburn, and still probably not more than a 50% scholarship at KU...I am not sure what I would do in that situation. I have a daughter so leaving the area is possible, but at that time she will be going through the 10-13 years, and probably would need her Dad around more than most any other time...I have talked to my wife about it and moving to STL for Washington would be hard on all of us. BTW my wife is not my daughter's mother, just to clarify...

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:45 am

Veyron wrote:Solos come at all different sorts of levels. Penn really impressed this one small firm I'm trying to extern with. Than again, its not exactly your run-of-the-mill small firm.

10 Gold stars to you for going to Penn and impressing a not-so-run-of-the-mill small firm

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:20 am

tfer2222 wrote:
Veyron wrote:Solos come at all different sorts of levels. Penn really impressed this one small firm I'm trying to extern with. Than again, its not exactly your run-of-the-mill small firm.

10 Gold stars to you for going to Penn and impressing a not-so-run-of-the-mill small firm

*Pats self on back*

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:46 am

jared6180 wrote:Lets say I get lucky and somehow get a 168+ on an LSAT...that means I have a great chance at a full ride at Washburn, and still probably not more than a 50% scholarship at KU...I am not sure what I would do in that situation. I have a daughter so leaving the area is possible, but at that time she will be going through the 10-13 years, and probably would need her Dad around more than most any other time...I have talked to my wife about it and moving to STL for Washington would be hard on all of us. BTW my wife is not my daughter's mother, just to clarify...

I love noobs. I'll pass on starting the mocking, but soon you'll learn to stop putting stuff like that out there.

With an LSAT that high, I'd imagine you'd be a lock for serious scholarship money at KU. If you absolutely cannot move to go to a school out of state, that would still be a better choice than Washburn for free. Worthless rankings aside, there's that much of a difference between a Washburn education and a KU education.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”