Northwestern ED or NYU/CLS? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
freestallion

Silver

Re: Northwestern ED or NYU/CLS?

Post by freestallion » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
If someone wanted to go into Cali PI, would NYU still make sense or is Boalt (assuming S is not possible) the way to go?
Tough to beat Boalt when it comes to IP in California...
I think Yukos meant public interest, not IP.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Still true. I would definitely go to Boalt over NYU. NYU wouldn't be an awful choice, but why would you come all the way out here when you have an extremely comparable school in California? I think that Berkeley and NYU are probably the two most similar schools in the T14 in terms of breadth of practice areas that students are interested in, and geography is the best way to choose between them.

lzyovrachievr

Gold

Post by lzyovrachievr » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:07 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Still true. I would definitely go to Boalt over NYU. NYU wouldn't be an awful choice, but why would you come all the way out here when you have an extremely comparable school in California? I think that Berkeley and NYU are probably the two most similar schools in the T14 in terms of breadth of practice areas that students are interested in, and geography is the best way to choose between them.
Geography + Money offers + LRAP, yes.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:14 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
freestallion wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Disclaimer: ANECDOTAL ADVICE.

But I know someone who was 173/3.7-3.8 and got the RTK, so yeah FS I think you're in RTK territory, assuming you write a good essay or whatever they require & have a history of PI involvement.
Wow, that's great news. I think my essay is pretty good though that's just my opinion. And I have a lot of PI experience over the years. I guess I won't apply ED anywhere, because I want to see if I stand a chance at RTK or similar fellowships. That would honestly be my dream.

Thanks guys!
^_^!!! Glad I could help keep the hope alive. I hope you end up getting the RTK <3
Not be a buzzkill, but the RTK seems to be pretty separate from GPA/LSAT criteria. It comes down to your essay and your interview. I know people with lower (read below both medians) that got the RTK, and I know people with astronomical numbers that did not get it. So basically, everyone that gets in at NYU is on the same level for the RTK. It's a program, rather than just a scholarship to induce you into matriculating.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:19 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
freestallion wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Disclaimer: ANECDOTAL ADVICE.

But I know someone who was 173/3.7-3.8 and got the RTK, so yeah FS I think you're in RTK territory, assuming you write a good essay or whatever they require & have a history of PI involvement.
Wow, that's great news. I think my essay is pretty good though that's just my opinion. And I have a lot of PI experience over the years. I guess I won't apply ED anywhere, because I want to see if I stand a chance at RTK or similar fellowships. That would honestly be my dream.

Thanks guys!
^_^!!! Glad I could help keep the hope alive. I hope you end up getting the RTK <3
Not be a buzzkill, but the RTK seems to be pretty separate from GPA/LSAT criteria. It comes down to your essay and your interview. I know people with lower (read below both medians) that got the RTK, and I know people with astronomical numbers that did not get it. So basically, everyone that gets in at NYU is on the same level for the RTK. It's a program, rather than just a scholarship to induce you into matriculating.
Read above: others have addressed that point already. It's hardly a buzzkill, it just means she has to get in then her exp will speak for itself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”