Free tuition vs. better school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HeavenWood

Re: Free tuition vs. better school

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:08 am

kwais wrote:
LawSchoolChampion wrote:What if the schools were between Cornell and BU (Free at BU)?

Find out how median does at each school, assume you'll be there and then ask yourself if you'd be happy at either. If yes? take the money. If biglaw or bust? harder decision

During most years, Cornell beats BU in biglaw placement in the range of 10-15%. That's not an insubstantial difference, but do you really think it's big enough to turn down full tuition for sticker?

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:53 pm

Hey everyone, just wanted to ask this here since it's generally relevant and I don't feel like starting a whole new thread. I'm graduating from Rutgers in May, but that's just my undergrad. I'm waiting another year after that for the next cycle since I'd never get my scores in on time (soonest I could take the LSAT now would be February).

I'm really looking into some prestigious law schools to attend, pending I get in. To be honest I've been really looking into ND as my second choice (behind NYU which I'd have to obviously score ridiculous scores for). I think with my GPA and capabilities I could get into ND, but most of you are sounding like it is not worth it at all. I think I might be able to get some grants but nothing that would take high percentages off the $60,000 per year pricetag of actually going to Indiana. I'm going to try my best either way and send my applications to several desired schools, but I guess my question here is, would it be a better idea to attend somewhere like Rutgers where I would still be paying $20,000 per year for tuition, but I could commute there? I don't have nearly as good as a situation as the OP of this thread.

If I got into NYU I'd go, I don't care what the circumstances are but from what I hear a university like that is on a completely different level than somewhere like ND. I also understand that it's a good idea to work in the area I live now (NY/NJ) but I don't care where I work as long as I get a job out of law school. Just a general question.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:14 pm

mgp2675 wrote:Hey everyone, just wanted to ask this here since it's generally relevant and I don't feel like starting a whole new thread. I'm graduating from Rutgers in May, but that's just my undergrad. I'm waiting another year after that for the next cycle since I'd never get my scores in on time (soonest I could take the LSAT now would be February).

I'm really looking into some prestigious law schools to attend, pending I get in. To be honest I've been really looking into ND as my second choice (behind NYU which I'd have to obviously score ridiculous scores for). I think with my GPA and capabilities I could get into ND, but most of you are sounding like it is not worth it at all. I think I might be able to get some grants but nothing that would take high percentages off the $60,000 per year pricetag of actually going to Indiana. I'm going to try my best either way and send my applications to several desired schools, but I guess my question here is, would it be a better idea to attend somewhere like Rutgers where I would still be paying $20,000 per year for tuition, but I could commute there? I don't have nearly as good as a situation as the OP of this thread.

If I got into NYU I'd go, I don't care what the circumstances are but from what I hear a university like that is on a completely different level than somewhere like ND. I also understand that it's a good idea to work in the area I live now (NY/NJ) but I don't care where I work as long as I get a job out of law school. Just a general question.

ND? So you want to work in the mid-west/Chicago? If not, I would look elsewhere.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
mgp2675 wrote:Hey everyone, just wanted to ask this here since it's generally relevant and I don't feel like starting a whole new thread. I'm graduating from Rutgers in May, but that's just my undergrad. I'm waiting another year after that for the next cycle since I'd never get my scores in on time (soonest I could take the LSAT now would be February).

ND? So you want to work in the mid-west/Chicago? If not, I would look elsewhere.

The lead guitarist from your favorite band is in my class :D but not my section :(

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:24 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

The lead guitarist from your favorite band is in my class :D but not my section :(

What really? Thats weird... and awesome.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:28 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

What really? Thats weird... and awesome.

Yeah, I haven't had a proper reason to talk to him, but from what I've seen/heard he seems really cool/down-to-earth.

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Yes guys, Blind Melon is good.

I honestly wouldn't mind working in Chicago. Like I said, I don't typically care where I work as long as its in an area where I can make money. From what I've read about ND it sounds like the school for me, but like I said alot of you are saying different. If the $200,000 is something that I'd have a slim chance paying off from there then I obviously would look elsewhere. But I've lived in NJ/NY my whole life, I wouldn't mind a change.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:02 pm

Which will you regret more?

1) Coming out of Rutgers with no debt but with no legal job offers or ones that you don't like but still take anyways. Meanwhile, you have thoughts of "I wonder if I went to ND... my dream school... and did well, I might have a more interest legal career -- a career that I plan on doing for 35 more years"

2) Coming out of ND with 200k in debt and land a low-paying legal job in the midwest. Your salary is no better than what it is right now but you're out 200k. At least you got the experience of ND and being outside of NY/NJ, but you've just dug yourself a 200k hole.

Your call. There's risks to each, and although I have to say it sounds like Rutgers is the obvious choice, some people do take risks in life to pursue what they really want. You only live once.

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:44 pm

thelawyler wrote:Which will you regret more?

1) Coming out of Rutgers with no debt but with no legal job offers or ones that you don't like but still take anyways. Meanwhile, you have thoughts of "I wonder if I went to ND... my dream school... and did well, I might have a more interest legal career -- a career that I plan on doing for 35 more years"

2) Coming out of ND with 200k in debt and land a low-paying legal job in the midwest. Your salary is no better than what it is right now but you're out 200k. At least you got the experience of ND and being outside of NY/NJ, but you've just dug yourself a 200k hole.

Your call. There's risks to each, and although I have to say it sounds like Rutgers is the obvious choice, some people do take risks in life to pursue what they really want. You only live once.

I would still have $60,000 at least in loans after Rutgers and like you said, I wouldn't get the job I want. Why go through the trouble of law school if youre just going to settle for a "decent" job?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:48 pm

mgp2675 wrote:
thelawyler wrote:Which will you regret more?

I would still have $60,000 at least in loans after Rutgers and like you said, I wouldn't get the job I want. Why go through the trouble of law school if youre just going to settle for a "decent" job?

If that's how you feel, then retake.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:21 am

I agree with that. This is a career that you'll be doing for a long long time. Take another year or two (or however long it takes) and REALLY REALLY study that LSAT and kill it. Think of any conceivable way of improving and really set your mind to it. Do this while saving up what you can with your current job in a rainy-day fund. Kill the LSAT and get into a school that will better your prospects or get scholarship money from other reputable schools.

Remember, 1-2 years is nothing from the perspective of a 30 year legal career, especially because you already have a job right now that is pulling in some decent income. Don't make a choice you think you will regret.

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:59 am

thelawyler wrote:I agree with that. This is a career that you'll be doing for a long long time. Take another year or two (or however long it takes) and REALLY REALLY study that LSAT and kill it. Think of any conceivable way of improving and really set your mind to it. Do this while saving up what you can with your current job in a rainy-day fund. Kill the LSAT and get into a school that will better your prospects or get scholarship money from other reputable schools.

Remember, 1-2 years is nothing from the perspective of a 30 year legal career, especially because you already have a job right now that is pulling in some decent income. Don't make a choice you think you will regret.

Sorry, but I'm not completely understanding your position on this. If I was offered a full scholarship from a school like Rutgers I'd take it, but from what I've read about, you have a much better chance of getting a "30 year legal career" as you put it from a school like Notre Dame, or just maybe a school close to the top 20. If the outcome from spending 3 long years at Rutgers is a 1-2 year legal career then it's not worth the trouble, even if it's a full scholarship. One of my professors went to Rutgers law school and he had a very short career. Now, I'm sure he's doing fine because he's a professor now but my point is that if I went through law school, I'd want a well-paying job in the field that I studied in. You all know better than me how tough law school is and there is no point in going through all of that to settle. Being $200,000 in debt really must be a heavy feeling, but if you have a decent job you'll pay it off. My cousin went to Syracuse, and she's slowly but surely paying off a big loan.

I don't want to use personal references because you can't take solid factual information from that, but I guess my point is that law school isn't just about the money to me. It's three more years, three more difficult years of school. I don't want to go to just "any" school. I know that I'd be taking a chance no matter where I went, but if there's a significantly better chance of getting a job from a more expensive school then so be it.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:15 am

Also consider the fact that ND is going to cost the same as a BC or BU, but you will have lesser job prospects and the jobs that you actually could get don't pay as much as the jobs coming out of BC or BU.

If you really want biglaw, you should really only be looking at the top 20-25 schools on this list:
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:50 am

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:Also consider the fact that ND is going to cost the same as a BC or BU, but you will have lesser job prospects and the jobs that you actually could get don't pay as much as the jobs coming out of BC or BU.

If you really want biglaw, you should really only be looking at the top 20-25 schools on this list:

Thanks for the information, I'm going to read up on that. I'm not going until the next cycle and I have yet to take my LSATs so this is all a very hypothetical concept, but I know myself very well and when I put my mind to something, I'll accomplish it. I love Boston, and I would also love to go to BC or BU, but again it's a matter of getting in or not.

Most people have said if you go to ND to try and locate to Chicago, NYU/Columbia would obviously be NYC. Would the transition from graduating from law school in Boston and practicing in NYC be a difficult one to make?

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:55 am

johnnyutah wrote:Rutgers.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:05 pm

mgp2675 wrote:
Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:Also consider the fact that ND is going to cost the same as a BC or BU, but you will have lesser job prospects and the jobs that you actually could get don't pay as much as the jobs coming out of BC or BU.

Thanks for the information, I'm going to read up on that. I'm not going until the next cycle and I have yet to take my LSATs so this is all a very hypothetical concept, but I know myself very well and when I put my mind to something, I'll accomplish it. I love Boston, and I would also love to go to BC or BU, but again it's a matter of getting in or not.

Most people have said if you go to ND to try and locate to Chicago, NYU/Columbia would obviously be NYC. Would the transition from graduating from law school in Boston and practicing in NYC be a difficult one to make?

From what I've heard, going from BU to NYC Big Law is easier than getting Boston Big Law because although that is a bit counter-intuitive, there is a lot of self-selection for BU/BC students to want to stay in Boston and Boston is a much smaller legal market than NYC. Plus, both schools have good reputations in NYC. But any further south than NYC and you might have trouble. However, I think if you strike out of Big Law, you should probably be okay with gaining other legal employment in the New England area.

And I think you misunderstood my previous post. What I am saying is that I absolutely agree with you that sometimes taking a big risk to do be able to live a lifestyle and do work that you will enjoy may very well be worth it. That is why I recommended that you recognize how important the LSAT is going to be and give it your 150% effort and absolutely kill it. That way you'll have more options. And more options is awesome.

Sounds like you'll have a lot more time to make a decision, and honestly you're going to have to come back with a real LSAT score for us to help you further. But knowing how much it matters can be a key motivation factor for you especially if you are working full time as you study.

Good luck.

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:32 am

thelawyler wrote:
mgp2675 wrote:

From what I've heard, going from BU to NYC Big Law is easier than getting Boston Big Law because although that is a bit counter-intuitive, there is a lot of self-selection for BU/BC students to want to stay in Boston and Boston is a much smaller legal market than NYC. Plus, both schools have good reputations in NYC. But any further south than NYC and you might have trouble. However, I think if you strike out of Big Law, you should probably be okay with gaining other legal employment in the New England area.

And I think you misunderstood my previous post. What I am saying is that I absolutely agree with you that sometimes taking a big risk to do be able to live a lifestyle and do work that you will enjoy may very well be worth it. That is why I recommended that you recognize how important the LSAT is going to be and give it your 150% effort and absolutely kill it. That way you'll have more options. And more options is awesome.

Sounds like you'll have a lot more time to make a decision, and honestly you're going to have to come back with a real LSAT score for us to help you further. But knowing how much it matters can be a key motivation factor for you especially if you are working full time as you study.

Good luck.

Thanks, you make a lot of sense. I don't mean to be asking 1,000 questions on here, I'm just juggling a lot right now. I'm finishing my undergrad and trying to get the best GPA I can, and i just ordered $200 worth of LSAT preparation material so I am giving it my best effort. I'm aiming to take them in June, pending I have the time to study between finishing my undergrad. Otherwise I'll aim for September, but I'd realistically like to be applying by then.

BU or BC sounds really good though, from a very distant idea of where I'll have the option to go.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Tbh you sound a bit clueless about the law school process. You are looking at Rutgers, dream school is ND (why?) and REAL dream school is NYU. To say NYU is your first choice and ND is your second choice strikes me as a very odd statement. (1) There are tons of good school in between that you should take in a heartbeat over ND and (2) without an LSAT score picking particular favorites is wasted energy without specific reasons, which you don't seem to have.

I think you need to approach the law school application process by focusing a bit less on the schools themselves and start looking more at rankings/employment prospects in your desire markets. Forget about targeting NYU in particular and instead aim for the T14 (or T6) generally. Forget about ND (why the random obsession with ND again?) and focus on any T30 schools that place well in places you wouldn't mind living.

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:42 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:

Tbh you sound a bit clueless about the law school process. You are looking at Rutgers, dream school is ND (why?) and REAL dream school is NYU. To say NYU is your first choice and ND is your second choice strikes me as a very odd statement. (1) There are tons of good school in between that you should take in a heartbeat over ND and (2) without an LSAT score picking particular favorites is wasted energy without specific reasons, which you don't seem to have.

I think you need to approach the law school application process by focusing a bit less on the schools themselves and start looking more at rankings/employment prospects in your desire markets. Forget about targeting NYU in particular and instead aim for the T14 (or T6) generally. Forget about ND (why the random obsession with ND again?) and focus on any T30 schools that place well in places you wouldn't mind living.

I don't think I'm clueless, I'm just in the very early stages a long process. I think you'd be clueless too in something you know very little about. I came on here because I want to learn more. My dream school has always been NYU, for several reasons. However I wouldn't mind leaving this area. I like Notre Dame because I read an article that most law school graduates coming out of there start at pretty decent pay in the Chicago metropolitan area. That intrigued me. I know this might seem odd to you, perhaps you have a lot more knowledge on the school than I do, but that's why I'm asking these questions.

Another thing about myself is I would like to move away from where I've lived my whole life and experience something different. Boston, Chicago, Southern California...these places sound very interesting to me. I know maybe it would be making the decision to practice law there for my career and it's a big decision. You're absolutely right about it being useless to pick possible destinations without an LSAT score, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm not here to ask anyone if they think I'll get in somewhere. I'm just not going to take everything I hear literally. Perfect example: I thought ND would be a great school no matter where you're from, coming from one source...and now most of you are saying otherwise.

I'm going to try my best at getting a good LSAT score and then we'll go from there. There's always graduate school and other options as well.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:51 pm

mgp2675 wrote:
berkeleykel06 wrote:

I don't think I'm clueless, I'm just in the very early stages a long process. I think you'd be clueless too in something you know very little about. I came on here because I want to learn more. My dream school has always been NYU, for several reasons. However I wouldn't mind leaving this area. I like Notre Dame because I read an article that most law school graduates coming out of there start at pretty decent pay in the Chicago metropolitan area. That intrigued me. I know this might seem odd to you, perhaps you have a lot more knowledge on the school than I do, but that's why I'm asking these questions.

Another thing about myself is I would like to move away from where I've lived my whole life and experience something different. Boston, Chicago, Southern California...these places sound very interesting to me. I know maybe it would be making the decision to practice law there for my career and it's a big decision. You're absolutely right about it being useless to pick possible destinations without an LSAT score, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm not here to ask anyone if they think I'll get in somewhere. I'm just not going to take everything I hear literally. Perfect example: I thought ND would be a great school no matter where you're from, coming from one source...and now most of you are saying otherwise.

I'm going to try my best at getting a good LSAT score and then we'll go from there. There's always graduate school and other options as well.
Let go of the ND fixation. It's not a terrible school, but there are probably ~10 schools between NYU and ND in the rankings that place better in Chicago, as well as (in some cases) give you options for other cities as well.

Check out lawschooltransparency.com for the best info we have on employment data (better than what you get from a single article in a magazine or from the schools' brochures).

But first, get a good LSAT score. All of this debate is entirely moot until then.

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:54 pm

Understood. I have over 4 months to prepare for my LSAT, hoping for the best.

Nixon

Postby Nixon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 am

rwhyAn wrote:Hey everyone, I have a question that I'd like your input on. I recently got a job working at Rutgers, and one of the benefits is full tuition remission, even for law. I've lived in NJ my whole life and I wouldn't mind practicing here. I would really love to go to Notre Dame, but I'd have to get my numbers up a bit. Even if I got into ND, I'd probably end up paying sticker. Is there even a choice here? I'd have to go part-time at Rutgers, but I'd be able to keep my $50k+ a year job and graduate without debt, versus around $200k worth of debt. What are your thoughts?

LOL this is a good problem to have! I just wanna get in somewhere!!!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”