Doing 5 years instead of 4 to boost GPA and LSAT Preparation

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Miami781
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Doing 5 years instead of 4 to boost GPA and LSAT Preparation

Postby Miami781 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:24 pm

Would doing 5 years instead of 4 to boost GPA and LSAT Preparation time be a bad idea, I also transferred colleges so I have to do 4 1/2 anyways thinking might as well do the extra semester to boost my GPA for law school and get better LSAT Prep.

Any downfalls besides more $$

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Doing 5 years instead of 4 to boost GPA and LSAT Preparation

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:28 pm

Just as long as you dont finish the requirements for your Bachelor's until the end of the fifth year this is fine.

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Doing 5 years instead of 4 to boost GPA and LSAT Preparation

Postby redsox » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:17 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Just as long as you dont finish the requirements for your Bachelor's until the end of the fifth year this is fine.


What does finishing the requirements have to do with anything? He just can't get the degree.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Doing 5 years instead of 4 to boost GPA and LSAT Preparation

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:18 pm

redsox wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Just as long as you dont finish the requirements for your Bachelor's until the end of the fifth year this is fine.


What does finishing the requirements have to do with anything? He just can't get the degree.

I dont see the difference?

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Doing 5 years instead of 4 to boost GPA and LSAT Preparation

Postby redsox » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
redsox wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Just as long as you dont finish the requirements for your Bachelor's until the end of the fifth year this is fine.


What does finishing the requirements have to do with anything? He just can't get the degree.

I dont see the difference?


Oh.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Doing 5 years instead of 4 to boost GPA and LSAT Preparation

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:32 pm

so whats the difference?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Doing 5 years instead of 4 to boost GPA and LSAT Preparation

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:35 pm

bport hopeful wrote:so whats the difference?

As long as you don't actually graduate, you can usually keep going until you decide to actually graduate. At my UG, we had to fill out an application for graduation, and if you didn't, you could keep going to school.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Doing 5 years instead of 4 to boost GPA and LSAT Preparation

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:35 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:so whats the difference?

As long as you don't actually graduate, you can usually keep going until you decide to actually graduate. At my UG, we had to fill out an application for graduation, and if you didn't, you could keep going to school.

I should have done this.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Doing 5 years instead of 4 to boost GPA and LSAT Preparation

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:38 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:so whats the difference?

As long as you don't actually graduate, you can usually keep going until you decide to actually graduate. At my UG, we had to fill out an application for graduation, and if you didn't, you could keep going to school.
This was theoretically how it worked at my UG too. They were emphatic that we would NOT graduate until we applied for graduation and our record was reviewed.

I finished my requirements after winter term and took an extra spring term of writing classes (all As, of course) and went to commencement in June. I got an empty diploma folder when I walked across the stage, and later found out that my diploma had been filed in the registrar's office since spring break, because I'd already graduated.

So make very, very sure they won't graduate you without your permission.

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Doing 5 years instead of 4 to boost GPA and LSAT Preparation

Postby redsox » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:00 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:so whats the difference?

As long as you don't actually graduate, you can usually keep going until you decide to actually graduate. At my UG, we had to fill out an application for graduation, and if you didn't, you could keep going to school.

This.

Miami781
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: Doing 5 years instead of 4 to boost GPA and LSAT Preparation

Postby Miami781 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:27 pm

Yeah I also want to graduate in June instead of January or December, also..College is fun

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Doing 5 years instead of 4 to boost GPA and LSAT Preparation

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:28 pm

Miami781 wrote:Yeah I also want to graduate in June instead of January or December, also..College is fun

College is fun. I miss her dearly.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests