Rutgers-N V. Seton Hall

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ronburgandy2468

Rutgers-N V. Seton Hall

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:34 am

Assuming that cost is the same, which would be a better school?
Given that NLJ250 ranks SHU #33 and RU-N #49
(More people get big law from SHU?)

trickynck

Re: Rutgers-N V. Seton Hall

Postby trickynck » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:39 am

How are you assuming costs are the same? RU is MUCH cheaper than SH considering it is a state school. As long as you live in NJ, you satisfy the in-stat criteria. I went to RU-N and it was ok. However, unless you are at the top top top of your class, it's pretty tough to score big law. However, mid-law is doable. Of the people I know who went to SH, they are in the same boat, just with a ton more debt.

Ronburgandy2468

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:47 am

trickynck wrote:How are you assuming costs are the same? RU is MUCH cheaper than SH considering it is a state school. As long as you live in NJ, you satisfy the in-stat criteria. I went to RU-N and it was ok. However, unless you are at the top top top of your class, it's pretty tough to score big law. However, mid-law is doable. Of the people I know who went to SH, they are in the same boat, just with a ton more debt.

That's why this is a big hypothetical IF question. Which school would one choose if money was not a factor? (although more than often, it is.) TLS generally prefers RU-N over SHU (which is mostly trashed in the forums). However, the trends in which the two respective schools are taking in terms of ranking favors SHU.

Rutgers has been dropping (rather severely) from its glory T1 days and SHU looks like it might take it to T1 in a couple of years (given that it went from a T3 to TT).

I understand that TT rankings are useless, which is why I ask this hypothetical question.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Ronburgandy2468 wrote:
trickynck wrote:How are you assuming costs are the same? RU is MUCH cheaper than SH considering it is a state school. As long as you live in NJ, you satisfy the in-stat criteria. I went to RU-N and it was ok. However, unless you are at the top top top of your class, it's pretty tough to score big law. However, mid-law is doable. Of the people I know who went to SH, they are in the same boat, just with a ton more debt.

That's why this is a big hypothetical IF question. Which school would one choose if money was not a factor? (although more than often, it is.) TLS generally prefers RU-N over SHU (which is mostly trashed in the forums). However, the trends in which the two respective schools are taking in terms of ranking favors SHU.

Rutgers has been dropping (rather severely) from its glory T1 days and SHU looks like it might take it to T1 in a couple of years (given that it went from a T3 to TT).

I understand that TT rankings are useless, which is why I ask this hypothetical question.

Just go to whatever school's cheaper. Both schools have near-identical placement rates. And ignore the rankings this far down the totem pole.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Seton Hall has more prestige because it has a more homogeneous student body, is religiously affiliated and the extra cost brings in the wealthier families with better connections. That's probably why the big law numbers are better...pure connections. They're both TT schools. Assuming you don't have family hook ups, you will come out with the same results..its just a matter of one costing $45k/year and the other costing $25k/year.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:50 pm

One costs twice as much as the other (greater than 2 times the cost if you are an NJ resident). There is no difference substantial enough to offset that difference in cost. RU all the way.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:51 pm

Seton Hall has a gorgeous law building, but they preachy as hell.

As far as cost goes, I think SHU gives out bigger schollies (idk if this is something I made up) so it can be cost effective. I got like a 35 or 40 k scholly there, so it wouldnt have been bad.

Ronburgandy2468

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:37 am

mrtoren wrote:Seton Hall has more prestige because it has a more homogeneous student body, is religiously affiliated and the extra cost brings in the wealthier families with better connections. That's probably why the big law numbers are better...pure connections. They're both TT schools. Assuming you don't have family hook ups, you will come out with the same results..its just a matter of one costing $45k/year and the other costing $25k/year.

Yeah I guess that does make sense to some degree. But at the same time, I feel like the Rutgers name carries more weight in NJ than SHU. I mean, if not, no one knows SHU outside of NJ but a couple know Rutgers.

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:42 am

Go to whichever is cheaper. If they truly are equal in price due to a financial aid award, spend a day at both and then go where you felt most comfortable. The placement numbers are similar enough that I'd discount them as a tie-breaker, and the rankings are meaningless at this level.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:58 pm

It's really a toss of the dice if they're equally priced. Both place the same and they're mainly NJ schools. If price is a factor, it's asinine to go to Seton Hall. Though, even price wise, Rutgers is going to be more liberal, more people from blue collar back grounds and I feel they place a greater emphasis on pro-bono, govt type work.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:05 pm

both are great schools, but rutgers have been slipping, if cost is the same, go with seton hall for now

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:09 pm

When I was at the SHU ASD, there was a lot of pro bono talk. A lot of help the down trodden talk as well. Lots of Jesus in the air.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:both are great schools, but rutgers have been slipping, if cost is the same, go with seton hall for now

You are troll.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:35 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:both are great schools, but rutgers have been slipping, if cost is the same, go with seton hall for now

You are troll.

eh.... no? am i missing something? isnt seton hall moving up and rutgers falling down? if costs being equal, of course seton hall, what's wrong with that?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:36 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

You are troll.

eh.... no? am i missing something? isnt seton hall moving up and rutgers falling down? if costs being equal, of course seton hall, what's wrong with that?

Neither are great schools. Thats the issue.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

You are troll.

If you're not a troll, then you're terribly misinformed. Rankings mean very little after ~17 and mean even less after ~30. Look to job placement statistics, not USNWR.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:54 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

You are troll.

If you're not a troll, then you're terribly misinformed. Rankings mean very little after ~17 and mean even less after ~30. Look to job placement statistics, not USNWR.

+21342375348976869826

I always find it amusing when kids attend higher ranked, non-T14 schools simply because they're higher ranked. Heaven forbid someone should question the almighty USNWR rankings. I mean, if its got a higher rank...its GOTTA have better placement...RIGHT?! Psh.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:06 pm

i know ranking doesn't always tell the whole story, but generally speaking, the higher ranked schools have better placements, if OP goes to say, seton hall, and in 3 years, it climbs to around 60ish, while rutgers fall to 80ish, entirely possible, and could certainly affect job prospects at that time

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:i know ranking doesn't always tell the whole story, but generally speaking, the higher ranked schools have better placements, if OP goes to say, seton hall, and in 3 years, it climbs to around 60ish, while rutgers fall to 80ish, entirely possible, and could certainly affect job prospects at that time

Nope. Regional reputations die hard.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:10 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:i know ranking doesn't always tell the whole story, but generally speaking, the higher ranked schools have better placements, if OP goes to say, seton hall, and in 3 years, it climbs to around 60ish, while rutgers fall to 80ish, entirely possible, and could certainly affect job prospects at that time

shut up troll

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

shut up troll

That was actually kinda funny.

But in all seriousness, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:18 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

shut up troll

That was actually kinda funny.

But in all seriousness, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

lol'd

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:19 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

shut up troll

You're in the wrong. Regional schools do defy ranking. NJ firms will hire Rutgers graduates whether they're ranked 60, 70, 80, 90, or 100. Why? Because in almost all instances, the quality of the education isn't changing, the formula used to rank the school is. As you try to leave the area, ranking may play a bigger role.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:29 pm

although i have not stayed in NJ, i did meet many ppl from there, and from what I have gathered, seton hall's rep is at least on par with rutgers, leaving me the impression that rep difference between them is minimal, thus will be the ranking that makes the difference

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:30 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:although i have not stayed in NJ, i did meet many ppl from there, and from what I have gathered, seton hall's rep is at least on par with rutgers, leaving me the impression that rep difference between them is minimal, thus will be the ranking that makes the no difference

Use your common sense, brother.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”