Poll: Northwestern vs. Chicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Should I...

Poll ended at Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

ED Northwestern
35%
ED Chicago
65%

Total votes: 51

rayiner

Re: Poll: Northwestern vs. Chicago

Postby rayiner » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:00 pm

It's a risk/reward thing. I personally don't believe the Chicago brand name is enough to turn down more than $50k at NU. It's not HYS after all. And less debt will let you enjoy a much better quality of life while still saving responsibly when you start working in big law. $50k scholarship means an extra $600+ per month in your pocket for 10 years.

On the other hand, you want to maximize your chances of getting that big law job. I think Chicago is doing better at that ITE. Below median at both places is risky, but I think more than half of the below-median Chicago kids will get a job, and at NU it's probably the other way around. This is based on what I've heard about the schools' 2L summer placement the last couple of years: 80% versus 60%.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:59 pm

The poll shows quite a split. Thanks everyone for the comments. Here is what Johann had to say about the announcement yesterday:

Johann Lee - Lots of Q's about "criteria". As I stated above, I do not anticipate a change in criteria. We are still looking for applicants with strong academic credentials (LSAT or GPA). We are also still looking for interpersonal skills, work experience, and all our traditional soft factors. In contemplating the new program, we ran a bunch of possible scenarios/projections regarding the applicant pool. Bottom line, we are going into the cycle planning on accepting "splitters" (both forward and reverse) under the ED plan. If you have further questions, I am here to answer them. I need to go pick up my kids from daycare before I scar them and have them incur therapy for years.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:04 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:The poll shows quite a split. Thanks everyone for the comments. Here is what Johann had to say about the announcement yesterday:

Johann Lee - Lots of Q's about "criteria". As I stated above, I do not anticipate a change in criteria. We are still looking for applicants with strong academic credentials (LSAT or GPA). We are also still looking for interpersonal skills, work experience, and all our traditional soft factors. In contemplating the new program, we ran a bunch of possible scenarios/projections regarding the applicant pool. Bottom line, we are going into the cycle planning on accepting "splitters" (both forward and reverse) under the ED plan. If you have further questions, I am here to answer them. I need to go pick up my kids from daycare before I scar them and have them incur therapy for years.

If he's being legit, this means that NU is now offering crazy money to splitters. So much love.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:36 am

UnamSanctam wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:The poll shows quite a split. Thanks everyone for the comments. Here is what Johann had to say about the announcement yesterday:

If he's being legit, this means that NU is now offering crazy money to splitters. So much love.

FWIW, 3.5/176 can be considered a splitter depending on what you're shooting for...doesn't ultimately mean much for a 2.X/low-170s. /debbiedowner

Postby 2014 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:34 pm

I would ED Northwestern.

You seem like a good fit culturally for the school and the money situation is appealing. Worst case they turn you into a RD and you are very likely to get in.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:37 pm

rayiner wrote:It's a risk/reward thing. I personally don't believe the Chicago brand name is enough to turn down more than $50k at NU. It's not HYS after all.

Apparently, you haven't been listening to Helm and Tapeifuckwad.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:38 pm

2014 wrote:I would ED Northwestern.

You seem like a good fit culturally for the school and the money situation is appealing. Worst case they turn you into a RD and you are very likely to get in.

WL->rejection at Chicago, even though it would have been an acceptance under ED, and then also WL at NU seems like it would be worse.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:38 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rayiner wrote:It's a risk/reward thing. I personally don't believe the Chicago brand name is enough to turn down more than $50k at NU. It's not HYS after all.

tbf, only one person out of those two are serious with their trolling

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

tbf, only one person out of those two are serious with their trolling

<3

I think.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:47 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

WL->rejection at Chicago, even though it would have been an acceptance under ED, and then also WL at NU seems like it would be worse.

I doubt I'd be waitlisted at Northwestern. I guess the question if I do ED Northwestern is how willing I am to go to another school in the T-14.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:57 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I doubt I'd be waitlisted at Northwestern. I guess the question if I do ED Northwestern is how willing I am to go to another school in the T-14.

Yeah, you'd definitely get in, just maybe not through ED. What does the bolded part mean?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Samara wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Yeah, you'd definitely get in, just maybe not through ED. What does the bolded part mean?

Perhaps it would have made more sense to say "how willing I am to go outside of Chicago." If I ED Northwestern and don't get it I doubt I'll get UChicago either. At that point I'll likely be comparing offers from other similarly ranked schools.

Chicago seems like a nice New York starter kit for a guy from the West Coast. I also have some family there. If it is where I have to be then ED to UChicago would seem to be the only option.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Samara wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

As somebody who has been through the applications process, there were many schools that everybody told me I was sure to get into that I didn't. It can be a bit of a crapshoot sometimes. Nothing is really a given.

Postby 2014 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

I thought NYU was the only one of CCN that gave a noticeable bump to those who ED.

sach1282

Postby sach1282 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:47 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Your work experience & LSAT score should attract positive attention from NU's admissions committee, in my opinion. Apply ED to Northwestern because the realistic chance at a full tuition scholarship at a top 14 law school that is among your top choice law schools is worth the sacrifice of EDing elsewhere.

This

Return to “Choosing a Law School”