Underrated Law Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jzabl001

Underrated Law Schools

Postby jzabl001 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:00 pm

Do they exist? Are their any programs that might be lower ranked (i.e. easier to get into) but outperform higher ranked law schools?

Re: Underrated Law Schools

Postby 071816 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:06 pm

Cooley outperforms many of the top law schools in chairs per capita.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:07 pm

If this is a serious question, I know Cornell does surprisingly well at biglaw placement, but only on TLS is that considered a lower-ranked law school. I know less than nothing, but apparently people like SMU?

Pato_09

Postby Pato_09 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:If this is a serious question, I know Cornell does surprisingly well at biglaw placement, but only on TLS is that considered a lower-ranked law school. I know less than nothing, but apparently people like SMU?

Agree.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:13 pm

Any lower-ranked school that dominates its local market (e.g. Colorado, Alabama, North Dakota, etc.).

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:18 pm

SMU might be underrated in that they aren't very stingy with scholarship money, they are in a big legal market essentially by themselves, has job placement more on part with a school 20-30 than one barely clinging to the top tier.

Also it has a pt program that makes it much easier to get in, in exchange for adding a year to your track. I think the pt medians are like 160/3.5 as opposed to 164/3.7 for full time.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:43 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somewherewarm

Postby somewherewarm » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:46 pm

youarereadingthis wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202483173162

Scroll down.

This is some info from the National Law Journal although it mostly pertains to NLJ 250 firms (if Biglaw is something you were looking for). Some schools put a higher percentage in those firms than one would expect, as Yeshia alluded to. These charts don't take clerkships into consideration so that's something to keep in mind. I'm sure there is info floating around about the clerkship percentages and if I wasn't watching football I'd try to find it.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:49 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
TheFactor wrote:Any lower-ranked school that dominates its local market (e.g. Colorado, Alabama, North Dakota, etc.).

This. The relevance of any answer will depend heavily on geographic preference, and the schools will be more "overlooked" (justifiably, by people who don't want to live there) than underrated.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:09 am

Howard

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:11 am

Yeshia90 wrote:If this is a serious question, I know Cornell does surprisingly well at biglaw placement, but only on TLS is that considered a lower-ranked law school. I know less than nothing, but apparently people like SMU?

Wait till the newest employment numbers come out. My money is on Vandy > Cornell in NLJ250.

jzabl001

Postby jzabl001 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:15 am

So rankings do mean everything in this case?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:15 am

In all seriousness, BU and BC are probably underrated. UChicago is probably also underrated. A peer school of HYS, but everybody acts like they're on the same level as NYU.

Woobinator11

Postby Woobinator11 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:08 am

sparty99 wrote:Howard

Is that where you go sparty?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:44 am

TheFactor wrote:Any lower-ranked school that dominates its local market (e.g. Colorado, Alabama, North Dakota, etc.).

This!

A school that either dominates its own market, does surprisingly well in its own large markets alongside one or more of the big boys, or has a suprisingly long/wide placement reach would count as an underrated law school. Schools that simply lure top faculty, engage in interesting scholarship and have unique programs, or continue to turn out well-prepared graduates could argue themselves to be underrated, but few people outside of their markets or academia would be knowlegable about those exploits. Because the purpose of going to law school is largely to gain post-graduate legal employment, that is the appropriate measure. There are only three purely "national" law schools, and everyone knows which ones those are.

U-Houston
U-Miami
SMU
U-Washington
Seattle-U
Chicago-Kent
Vermont
Howard
U-Georgia
Georgia State
Tulane
UC-Hastings
Fordham
Cardozo
Brooklyn
U-Wisconsin
Case Western
Ohio State
Suffolk
Temple
U-San Diego
U-Chicago
Cornell
Vanderbilt
UCLA
Notre Dame
U-Arizona
U-Denver

Postby 071816 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:55 am

^Seems like a random listing of law schools.^

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:58 am

PDaddy wrote:

This!

A school that either dominates its own market, does surprisingly well in its own large markets alongside one or more of the big boys, or has a suprisingly long/wide placement reach would count as an underrated law school. Schools that simply lure top faculty, engage in interesting scholarship and have unique programs, or continue to turn out well-prepared graduates could argue themselves to be underrated, but few people outside of their markets or academia would be knowlegable about those exploits. Because the purpose of going to law school is largely to gain post-graduate legal employment, that is the appropriate measure. There are only three purely "national" law schools, and everyone knows which ones those are.

Smaller markets generally have fewer jobs at a lower pay rate. Top-paying jobs in that market might have fewer grads gunning for them, but they're also going to be scarcer.

Also, don't assume that local firms will be loyal to local schools. They're still going to want top grads if they can get them, and plenty of "local kids" go to national schools (there are not just three), and then come home. I know plenty my lower T14 who got callbacks in the local markets with lower tier schools in their market (San Diego, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Philadelphia). A partner in one of the cities I just mentioned told me point-blank that they're only going to take top 10% of their local T2, and prefer "national" school students.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:01 am

Helmholtz wrote:

Wait till the newest employment numbers come out. My money is on Vandy > Cornell in NLJ250.

zinger

seems like the school did well this oci season actually in most large markets other than Chicago

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:18 am

Yale.

I know it is number one but it really should be zero or absolute zero. (Get on this Robert Morse!)

gin

Postby gin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:54 am

PDaddy wrote:A school that either dominates its own market, does surprisingly well in its own large markets alongside one or more of the big boys, or has a suprisingly long/wide placement reach would count as an underrated law school. Schools that simply lure top faculty, engage in interesting scholarship and have unique programs, or continue to turn out well-prepared graduates could argue themselves to be underrated, but few people outside of their markets or academia would be knowlegable about those exploits. Because the purpose of going to law school is largely to gain post-graduate legal employment, that is the appropriate measure. There are only three purely "national" law schools, and everyone knows which ones those are.

U-Houston
U-Miami
SMU
U-Washington
Seattle-U
Chicago-Kent
Vermont
Howard
U-Georgia
Georgia State
Tulane
UC-Hastings
Fordham
Cardozo
Brooklyn
U-Wisconsin
Case Western
Ohio State
Suffolk
Temple
U-San Diego
U-Chicago
Cornell
Vanderbilt
UCLA
Notre Dame
U-Arizona
U-Denver

chimp wrote:^Seems like a random listing of law schools.^

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:35 am

PDaddy wrote:derp derp derp

Substantiate any of this

kimballsess

Postby kimballsess » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:36 am

Other great business schools:

Well everyone considers UNC-Chapel Hill, NC State & Duke as "the best". Chapel Hill is a great business school & State is great for engineering.

Wake Forest's Babcock School of Management
- Wake forest is an excellent program but a bit pricey as it is a private institution.

UNC-Charlotte's Belk College of Business
- Plenty of job offers in the queen city. Charlotte is a immense banking middle.
Regards,
[SPAM REMOVED BY MODS

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:18 am

rtotari wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Howard

Is that where you go sparty?

No. I don't go to Howard.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:35 am

Helmholtz wrote:UChicago is probably also underrated. A peer school of HYS, but everybody acts like they're on the same level as NYU.

On balance, aren't they on the same level as NYU? Zero PI placement, equal placement power in New York, slightly better clerkship placement, and maybe better big firm placement outside New York? I don't think that makes them an HYS peer - you have to be able to place people anywhere to merit being on that top tier.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:19 pm

UC-Irvine ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”