Top JD/MPP Programs?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PKozi

Top JD/MPP Programs?

Postby PKozi » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Ultimately, I want to work as a policy advocate (lobbyist) for a non-profit dealing with issues related to poverty. I'm planning to do both a law degree and an MPP (or other policy degrees) to have a broad enough skill set to both write and advocate policy.

Right now I'm looking at Harvard, Chicago, NYU, and Michigan. Does anyone know of other schools with strong policy and law programs that I should be checking out?

SehMeSerrious

Re: Top JD/MPP Programs?

Postby SehMeSerrious » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:16 pm

Just wrote a rant about a similar situation (except foreign policy, not domestic) so while I'm still on one I'll copy and paste this:

...and no one really wants to change course because in the end they made more money, they keep their jobs, they get reelected by keeping the status quo. And the damn hippy-minded liberals just talk about pointing out these atrocities and think it's enough to spread awareness. Well that hasn't made a difference since Vietnam, and that's only because there was a draft. The effects on policy are negligible and it only works when there's a significant effect on how much money or how many votes they get. So that's the system they need to work - find a way that the military-industrial complex can make money and Congressmen can get their campaign contributions and votes without having to fuck over millions of people around the world. Most people who think about it for half a second already know these guys don't give a fuck about lives or justice or rights or peace, you have to talk to them in a language they understand

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:11 pm

I don't think a MPP is going to be very helpful when you consider the extra time you end up spending in school thus more debt and more time without getting paid. It's very debatable how useful a MPP or a similar degree really is. A lot of people in public service or nonprofits get their education from actually working rather than MPP. With that said, go to the best law school you can get into with a MPP program if you absolutely need a MPP but otherwise just go to the best law school you get into. The JD is much more impressive than a MPP if you wanna get into the type of work you're looking at.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:36 pm

SehMeSerrious wrote:Just wrote a rant about a similar situation (except foreign policy, not domestic) so while I'm still on one I'll copy and paste this:

...and no one really wants to change course because in the end they made more money, they keep their jobs, they get reelected by keeping the status quo. And the damn hippy-minded liberals just talk about pointing out these atrocities and think it's enough to spread awareness. Well that hasn't made a difference since Vietnam, and that's only because there was a draft. The effects on policy are negligible and it only works when there's a significant effect on how much money or how many votes they get. So that's the system they need to work - find a way that the military-industrial complex can make money and Congressmen can get their campaign contributions and votes without having to fuck over millions of people around the world. Most people who think about it for half a second already know these guys don't give a fuck about lives or justice or rights or peace, you have to talk to them in a language they understand

Cool.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:58 am

Berkeley does a joint JD/MPP with Princeton. I know a few people who've done it and they all seem to have positive things to say. I think a lot of top schools will also let you design your own joint degree if you plan ahead, so it is probably worth inquiring directly with them.

muaythaifighter

Postby muaythaifighter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:05 am

a JD/MPP or MPA is one of the worst combinations. you don't gain anything that a JD wouldn't give you plus you can take a lot of policy courses while pursuing a JD. unless you want to load up on useless degrees and go in the hole for another $80K, i would pass unless. even if you get into princeton, the time and money you spend there won't be as valuable as the time you can spend gaining working experience. if you are prestige whore, then go for it!

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:10 am

Gecko of Doom wrote:
SehMeSerrious wrote:Just wrote a rant about a similar situation (except foreign policy, not domestic) so while I'm still on one I'll copy and paste this:

Cool.

Story.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:26 am

Yukos wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:

Cool.

Story.

C-c-c-combo breaker!

jmoney

Postby jmoney » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:03 pm

muaythaifighter wrote:a JD/MPP or MPA is one of the worst combinations. you don't gain anything that a JD wouldn't give you plus you can take a lot of policy courses while pursuing a JD. unless you want to load up on useless degrees and go in the hole for another $80K, i would pass unless. even if you get into princeton, the time and money you spend there won't be as valuable as the time you can spend gaining working experience. if you are prestige whore, then go for it!

I would disagree with this somewhat simplistic assessment.

Three pros to a joint degree:
-The professional network at top policy schools are much different (and more diverse) than at top law schools.
-The opportunity to develop quant/analytic skills in policy school are nearly nonexistent in law schools.
-Going to policy school gives you ultimate public interest stamp of approval.

If someone ultimately wants to have a long career in public interest and government work, an MPP is a huge advantage and a significant career booster. I would caution against those who would argue that the opportunity costs aren't worth it (though admittedly, going to a shitty mpp program isn't worth the opp. costs).

muaythaifighter

Postby muaythaifighter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:28 pm

i don't know about you but i already completed my MPP at the kennedy school and here is my response to you, if you don't like it that is fine but this is coming from someone who has gone through it.

1.) i don't know what you mean by saying diverse, but if you mean the networking will be better in a MPP program than yes they will be more willing to help you. however, that difference is not enough to justify the additional debt because if you go to a top law school, the opportunities will be there as well. you need to either go with a JD or just a MPP/MPA. between these two, the JD is better for employment since the other two are widely seen as a lesser MBA degree.

2.) any top law school is going to allow you to take policy courses as an elective. the majority of my classes did not develop quant skills like many ppl think.

3.) lol, getting an MPP/MPA does not make employers feel better about your PI focus. your resume with your background and PI history will.

4.) i don't know your background, but many government and PI recruiters value the a top JD more (yes, even with the oversaturation) than a MPP/MPA. The classmates that were successful already had another degree in their interested fields. Most of my classmates who had just the MPP/MPA had a very hard time finding a decent position.

i am not saying that the degree is not beneficial, i am saying it is not worth the cost and time if you are already going to attend a top law school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”