U Washington v Lewis and Clark.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UW or L&C

stay at L&C
2
8%
go to UW no matter what
10
40%
go to UW with decent scholarship
13
52%
 
Total votes: 25

clintone88
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 am

U Washington v Lewis and Clark.

Postby clintone88 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm currently a 1L at Lewis and Clark in Portland, 1 week into classes. My top choice has always been UW, and I was accepted off the WL today. I am perfectly fine with living in either Seattle or Portland, however I'll be doing electrical patent prosecution, and I believe Seattle will be better for this (microsoft, amazon, etc). I was told by the admissions director that he would try to give me as much scholarship money as possible, however I have no idea what this figure could possibly be. With my scholarship at L&C right now, I will graduate with about $60k in debt total. At UW, if I receive no scholarship, tuition alone would be $90k+. Plus any sort of COL difference between Seattle and Portland. Anyways, looking for advice on what to do, I have until tomorrow evening to decide.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: U Washington v Lewis and Clark.

Postby PinkCow » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:29 pm

clintone88 wrote:I'm currently a 1L at Lewis and Clark in Portland, 1 week into classes. My top choice has always been UW, and I was accepted off the WL today. I am perfectly fine with living in either Seattle or Portland, however I'll be doing electrical patent prosecution, and I believe Seattle will be better for this (microsoft, amazon, etc). I was told by the admissions director that he would try to give me as much scholarship money as possible, however I have no idea what this figure could possibly be. With my scholarship at L&C right now, I will graduate with about $60k in debt total. At UW, if I receive no scholarship, tuition alone would be $90k+. Plus any sort of COL difference between Seattle and Portland. Anyways, looking for advice on what to do, I have until tomorrow evening to decide.



Not sure if this matters for you, but you heard that UW's doing away with the residency voucher right? That will impact your bill a lot if you're out of state.

clintone88
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 am

Re: U Washington v Lewis and Clark.

Postby clintone88 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:35 pm

I asked the admissions director and he said that next year they will be doing away with it, but that students entering this year will receive it for 2nd and 3rd year.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: U Washington v Lewis and Clark.

Postby bdubs » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:29 pm

I would go to UW if I were in your shoes, but I don't know enough of the details about L&C to be able to support my recommendation.

One thing to consider is the overall size of the legal market. The link below has the number of BigLaw lawyers in Seattle at 1,100. I would be surprised if Portland had half of that (there just aren't many firms and the ones that are there are smaller). UW is the undisputed best school for employment in Seattle.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2491269007

WSJ_Law
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 am

Re: U Washington v Lewis and Clark.

Postby WSJ_Law » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:00 am

UW is tcr

Anonymous Loser
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:17 am

Re: U Washington v Lewis and Clark.

Postby Anonymous Loser » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:23 am

bdubs wrote:I would go to UW if I were in your shoes, but I don't know enough of the details about L&C to be able to support my recommendation.

One thing to consider is the overall size of the legal market. The link below has the number of BigLaw lawyers in Seattle at 1,100. I would be surprised if Portland had half of that (there just aren't many firms and the ones that are there are smaller). UW is the undisputed best school for employment in Seattle.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2491269007


To be clear, Perkins Coie and Davis Wright Tremaine make up roughly 1/3 of that figure: between them they hired perhaps 15 SA's in 2011. Whether you choose Portland or Seattle, you are targeting a very small legal market.

shastaca
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Re: U Washington v Lewis and Clark.

Postby shastaca » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:13 am

I wouldn't take anything a salesman says as gospel especially in regards to free money that he doesn't control. UW is not known for the size of their scholarships.

But...for what you want to do...UW is clearly the better school.

So I would add up the costs. Cost of Living in Seattle vs Portland is easily findable. And see if the extra 100k of debt is worth it for you. Plug this into your excel =Pmt(7.5%/12, 10*12, 160000, 0, 1) 1900 a month approximate payment for UW. 700 approximate payment for L&C.

off the top of my head that means your break even is 15-20 years of legal practise, assuming you get the same job at the end of both. You have to factor in your odds of making the lottery of big law and whether that is the lifestyle you want for the years necessary to pay off the difference in loans between the two schools.

Hard headed business decision...not gee wouldn't it be great if...
Last edited by shastaca on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Redzo
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: U Washington v Lewis and Clark.

Postby Redzo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:30 am

Go to UW, period. As a Pacific Northwesterner, I would imagine that UW offers much better career prospects.

And Seattle > Portland.

clintone88
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 am

Re: U Washington v Lewis and Clark.

Postby clintone88 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I got $10k/year, no stips, so I'm moving to Seattle.

User avatar
Redzo
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: U Washington v Lewis and Clark.

Postby Redzo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:02 pm

clintone88 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I got $10k/year, no stips, so I'm moving to Seattle.


Nice! You're making the right move, I think.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11723
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: U Washington v Lewis and Clark.

Postby kalvano » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Absolutely the right move.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: U Washington v Lewis and Clark.

Postby bdubs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:01 pm

clintone88 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I got $10k/year, no stips, so I'm moving to Seattle.


Congrats, enjoy it. UW has a great campus and fun neighborhood.

crit_racer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: U Washington v Lewis and Clark.

Postby crit_racer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:41 pm

Youre making the right move. Job prospects out of L&C are bleak bleak bleak. Don't know what it's like out of UW, but I imagine there are substantially more opportunities. Good luck.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests