UVA vs UNC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: UVA vs UNC

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:12 pm

With a 163, then UNC is likely, but Virginia may still be less than 50% (although other posters know better than I do re: Virginia ED AA admissions). In this economy, you may want to consider applying RD to all law schools in order to compare scholarship offers.

Englander742

Bronze

Post by Englander742 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Thought about Duke?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:40 pm

Englander742 wrote:Thought about Duke?
+1

shane0515

New

Post by shane0515 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:49 pm

I would love to go to Duke and apply ED but I heard they are terrible with splitters

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:57 pm

shane0515 wrote:I would love to go to Duke and apply ED but I heard they are terrible with splitters
You aren't a splitter if you're a URM:

http://duke.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... ,8&type=jd

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:05 pm

shane0515 wrote:My score increased to a 163

:shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D Oh HELL NO the OP is an AA male with a 3.6 and a 163??!!! Why are we talking about UNC for anything less than a full ride! And UVA ED would be downright crazy!!! As an AA male with a 3.6 and a 163 you should be thinking about Stanford and Harvard, as they are both very possible. Write a killer PS, apply ASAP, and apply to all of the top 14. Try to get a fee waiver so that you can attend. You should be able to talk UNC into giving whatever their maximum scholarship offer is. Since you want to work in NC I think that going to UNC for close to free is an OK option. To be honest though you should be thinking Duke with a good scholarship or Stanford/Harvard. Those are really the two options you should be choosing from. I really really don't see you getting rejected from Duke. That's where you should go (with money though) if you don't get into Stanford or Harvard.

shane0515

New

Post by shane0515 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:17 pm

My gpa increased to a 3.67 as well.

Sorry if Im naive on this whole process. So if you're an AA male duke would take me Regular decision with gpa and lsat both below their 25th percentiles?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:23 pm

shane0515 wrote:My gpa increased to a 3.67 as well.

Sorry if Im naive on this whole process. So if you're an AA male duke would take me Regular decision with gpa and lsat both below their 25th percentiles?
If you're an AA Male, regular medians don't apply to you. Go to LSN, type in your numbers, and check show only URM candidates.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:26 pm

--ImageRemoved--

HTH

I'm just a fresh and eager 1L who has yet to be jaded by things such as the exam process and OCI (OGI), but I am also an AA male and if you'd like to get my personal opinion of the school thus far, feel free to send me a PM.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:27 pm

OMG man I feel like I just saved a drowning baby or something--I'm saving your life! lol :lol: Don't ED ANYWHERE!!! And DEFINITELY NOT to UVA or Duke!!! They will probably accept you as soon as you hit submit! The adcomms will be grinning from ear to ear "hmm we just stole that one from Stanford."

Look in all seriousness you WILL get into Duke ED. It's that simple. There's really no reason to bother with UVA except to possibly consider using them for scholarship money. Frankly you should be thinking Harvard, Harvard, and Stanford, Stanford. You have a GREAT shot at getting into both. I would be shocked if you didn't get into one of them. This is what you should do. Put A LOT of work into your essays and then apply to Duke Fast track or whatever they call their fast turnaround for strong applicants ASAP and apply to Stanford and Harvard sometime before November. You should have a one track mind: Duke with half tuition or Harvard/Stanford. I wouldn't even go to law school outside of those two options if I were you (and if you put effort into your application you will have those options). In your case there's no real reason to go to UVA. NC is the only Southern state where UVA isn't the king school. Good luck!

edit: Changed accept to except. The number of acceptances that the OP will get has got me thinking accept constantly as I type. :oops: :lol:
Last edited by BruceWayne on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:33 pm

BruceWayne wrote:

OMG man I feel like I just saved a drowning baby or something--I'm saving your life! lol :lol: Don't ED ANYWHERE!!! And DEFINITELY NOT to UVA or Duke!!! They will probably accept you as soon as you hit submit! The adcomms will be grinning from ear to ear "hmm we just stole that one from Stanford."

Look in all seriousness you WILL get into Duke ED. It's that simple. There's really no reason to bother with UVA accept to possibly consider using them for scholarship money. Frankly you should be thinking Harvard, Harvard, and Stanford, Stanford. You have a GREAT shot at getting into both. I would be shocked if you didn't get into one of them. This is what you should do. Put A LOT of work into your essays and then apply to Duke Fast track or whatever they call their fast turnaround for strong applicants ASAP and apply to Stanford and Harvard sometime before November. You should have a one track mind: Duke with half tuition or Harvard/Stanford. I wouldn't even go to law school outside of those two options if I were you (and if you put effort into your application you will have those options). In your case there's no real reason to go to UVA. NC is the only Southern state where UVA isn't the king school. Good luck!
I second that you shouldn't ED to UVA because you won't get any money and YHS are possibilities. I wouldn't say they are locks, but real possibilities. Are you in-state at Uva? If so, they might make in rain with scholarship money.

shane0515

New

Post by shane0515 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:34 pm

Im a NC resident. thanks for the advice. I'm definitely rethinking my strategy

shane0515

New

Post by shane0515 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:13 pm

If Duke averages LSAT scores, then a 152 and 163 would be a 157. that may hurt me

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:25 pm

shane0515 wrote:If Duke averages LSAT scores, then a 152 and 163 would be a 157. that may hurt me
It's been awhile since I've thought about it, but I can't imagine there are many schools that still care. It would run counter to their interests.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:45 am

Had an AA male friend who was AA male with a better LSAT score (170) and much worse GPA (like 3.3). He got a full ride to UVA.

AA male will make you win. GAMECHANGER.

Noval

Bronze

Post by Noval » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:23 am

Don't listen to those under achievers telling you to drop a T-14 for a local shit hole.

Go to UVA, it's a good Law School, think big or go home.

PS: Do your research and think twice before taking a decision, so you won't end up in JD Underground in 3 years.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:38 am

Noval wrote:Don't listen to those under achievers telling you to drop a T-14 for a local shit hole.

Go to UVA, it's a good Law School, think big or go home.

PS: Do your research and think twice before taking a decision, so you won't end up in JD Underground in 3 years.
LMAO at UNC being a "local shit hole". For what he wants it's far from that. Besides, going to UVA would be borderline stupid for him. He'll get into much better schools and he'll have the option of Duke with money--both options are better for someone who wants to work in Charlotte. Besides if he goes to UVA and pulls a low GPA (very likely) he'll be in a tough situation. UVA isn't Stanford.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:37 pm

Even as a URM, a 163 isn't going to cut it. I think you need a 166-167ish to have a real shot at UVA.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:37 pm

TMC116 wrote:
Even as a URM, a 163 isn't going to cut it. I think you need a 166-167ish to have a real shot at UVA.
No, just No.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:34 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
TMC116 wrote:
No, just No.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”