ED Splitter for CCN

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nobody

ED Splitter for CCN

Postby Nobody » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm a splitter with a 3.34/174, and I've been looking around for information which schools I should ED to, but haven't found much of anything. I know that solely based on my numbers I should ED UVA or Michigan, but the only schools I really feel would be worth the ED commitment would be Columbia, Chicago, or NYU. I know that any of these schools are a long shot even for ED, but I'd rather roll the dice on a T6 than completely lock myself in somewhere else.

Of the three, I'm not totally married to any of them. I'd be more than happy to go to any of them, so my question is this: is one of these schools a much surer bet for ED, or are they all pretty much the same?

bdubs

Re: ED Splitter for CCN

Postby bdubs » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:37 pm

Nobody wrote:I'm a splitter with a 3.34/174, and I've been looking around for information which schools I should ED to, but haven't found much of anything. I know that solely based on my numbers I should ED UVA or Michigan, but the only schools I really feel would be worth the ED commitment would be Columbia, Chicago, or NYU. I know that any of these schools are a long shot even for ED, but I'd rather roll the dice on a T6 than completely lock myself in somewhere else.

Of the three, I'm not totally married to any of them. I'd be more than happy to go to any of them, so my question is this: is one of these schools a much surer bet for ED, or are they all pretty much the same?

You're close to the GPA [floor] at all 3, but i think NYU is your best bet. Chicago tends to prefer higher GPAs and I think Columbia is just too much of a stretch.
Last edited by bdubs on Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:46 pm

bdubs wrote:You're close to the GPA at all 3, but i think NYU is your best bet. Chicago tends to prefer higher GPAs and I think Columbia is just too much of a stretch.

I agree. I think you're out at CC and have a small chance at NYU.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:08 pm

NYU. Not likely, but your best bet in that range.

jacksonmead

Postby jacksonmead » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:24 am

--
Last edited by jacksonmead on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:29 am

I would choose Mich/Penn maybe not even at ED (your LSAT is pretty high) see if you can get some $$. NW might take you and you are probably going to get $ from the lower t14.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:06 am

jacksonmead wrote:I'm really not sure. I have very similar numbers (with WE) and am still trying to decide to gamble with an ED to Chicago. There just aren't a lot of data points on LSN right in that range. It's going to be a game time decision.

Chicago and NYU are very different schools. I say only ED if it's somewhere you really want to attend, and I have a tough time imagining a person absolutely dying to attend both of these schools to the point that an ED decision becomes a coin flip. I'm as guilty of the school prestige-whoring as anyone but this seems like a crazy way to handle the where to ED question.

jacksonmead

Postby jacksonmead » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:58 pm

--
Last edited by jacksonmead on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:01 pm

Put another way, though, the odds at any of them are pretty bad, right? NYU might be a better shot just because it's a slightly better shot in general, not because they're more generous with EDs or anything, right?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:02 pm

jacksonmead wrote:I'm really not sure. I have very similar numbers (with WE) and am still trying to decide to gamble with an ED to Chicago. There just aren't a lot of data points on LSN right in that range. It's going to be a game time decision.

Yeah, it's weird. There always seems to be this weird donut hole right around my gpa/lsat.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Nobody wrote:

Yeah, it's weird. There always seems to be this weird donut hole right around my gpa/lsat.

Most people who get 170+ LSAT scores have GPAs that are well above where you are at, although there are certainly a number of splitters among us. I think special circumstances may come into play a lot more in both of your situations then they would with a regular candidate.

Was your undergrad school one that was very prestigious?
Was your undergrad school/major one known for tough grading policies/curve?
Was your work experience prestigious or otherwise impressive?

If you went to random state school and majored in anything other than engineering or a hard science, I think you'll have an uphill battle.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Nobody wrote:Put another way, though, the odds at any of them are pretty bad, right? NYU might be a better shot just because it's a slightly better shot in general, not because they're more generous with EDs or anything, right?

Yes, the odds aren't very good at any of them.

allthatglambition

Postby allthatglambition » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:12 pm

With your scores, I'd probably ED the lower t-14 and squeeze some money out of them since law school is so expensive these days.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:26 pm

allthatglambition wrote:With your scores, I'd probably ED the lower t-14 and squeeze some money out of them since law school is so expensive these days.

Mutual exclusivity for the win!

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:19 pm

allthatglambition wrote:With your scores, I'd probably ED the lower t-14 and squeeze some money out of them since law school is so expensive these days.

...no

jkupps2415

Postby jkupps2415 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:25 pm

What? Terrible advice...

Why would you ever ED somewhere that you are trying to "squeeze some money out of?" That makes absolutely no sense.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”