CCN at Sticker or GULC (part-time) with no debt

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pcwcecac

CCN at Sticker or GULC (part-time) with no debt

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Numbers 173 3.64

Option1: ED CCN

Option2: ED GULC(part-time). The tuition stipend from my employer will pay for 1/3. My salary can cover the rest comfortably.

Judging by the OCI threads, GULC seems to have it rough these days. But no debt is pretty sweet.

Assuming, perhaps unreasonably, that I'm median at whichever school I attend. Which of the above two options makes more sense?

Thanks
Last edited by pcwcecac on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

heyguys

Re: CCN at Sticker or GULC (part-time) with no debt

Postby heyguys » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:18 pm

pcwcecac wrote:Numbers 173 3.64

Option2: ED GULC(part-time). The tuition stipend from my employer will pay for 1/3. My salary can cover the rest comfortably.

Judging by the OCI threads, GULC seems to have it rough these days. But no debt is pretty sweet.

Assuming, perhaps unreasonably, that I'm median at CCN and top 10% at my GULC Part-Time class. Which of the above two options make more sense?

Thanks

C'mon, now. CCN grads don't have it all that great either. Not that it's awful or anything, but do you really want to take the risk of having to make median or meet financial doom? Given the current state of the legal market, I think we all know the right answer here. Go Hoyas!

El_Gallo

Postby El_Gallo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:20 pm

pcwcecac wrote:Assuming, perhaps unreasonably, that I'm median at CCN and top 10% at my GULC Part-Time class. Which of the above two options make more sense?

There was a poster from Harvard on here a while back that said the difference between the student bodies at Harvard vs BU/BC is small to non-existent. You definitely cannot count on being top 10% at GULC. That being said, I would personally go to G-Town. Graduating a T14 with no debt is a once in a hundred lifetimes opportunity.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Why would you ED to he Gulc(h)?

Also, why are you only considering CCN and GULC?

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

At the moment, I'm just considering which school to ED. If GULC part-time with no debt is a sweet deal, then I want to maximize my chances. I will also apply to the schools in between CCN and GULC.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:36 pm

pcwcecac wrote:Assuming, perhaps unreasonably, that I'm median at CCN and top 20% at my GULC Part-Time class. Which of the above two options makes more sense?

You are still grossly overestimating the difference between the competition at GULC and CCN. If you're going to frame the decision this way then nobody can give you useful advice, because the foundation of your decision-making is laughably flawed.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:37 pm

pcwcecac wrote:Thanks for your comments, everyone.

At the moment, I'm just considering which school to ED. If GULC part-time with no debt is a sweet deal, then I want to maximize my chances. I will also apply to the schools in between CCN and GULC.

There is no need to ED to GULC. You will get in part-time or full-time. It is a waste of an ED.

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Well Bildungsroman, please educate me. What's a realistic way to frame it?

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:43 pm

I wouldn't ED to GULC with those numbers.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:50 pm

pcwcecac wrote:Well Bildungsroman, please educate me. What's a realistic way to frame it?

Don't make any assumptions about how you're going to do at either school, especially not relative to one another. I know enough people with high LSATs still struggling at GULC and similar law schools to know that you can't make any assumptions of future performance for an individual based off of those stats. Also, the difference in student ability between GULC and CCN is tiny.

Bodhi_mind

Postby Bodhi_mind » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:51 pm

Yeah you're going to get into GULC no matter what, so no need to ED

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:04 pm

pcwcecac wrote:Numbers 173 3.64

Assuming, perhaps unreasonably, that I'm median at whichever school I attend. Which of the above two options makes more sense?

Thanks

Or you could not ED at all. With your numbers, you could probably get a good scholarship to MVPDN, which, for your purposes, is probably a good happy medium between CCN sticker and Georgetown full scholly.

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:21 pm

RE Bildungsroman
Without making an assumption on class rank, how could one make any prediction on relative job prospect? Unfortunately, for anyone who is deciding on with which school to propose a binding contract, such analysis is necessary, as one needs to consider the cost and expected return. Of course, one could call for a more representative set of priors, but simply announcing that every possible set of priors is unreliable would render such analysis implausible.

You need not to waste more time on me. But if you're truly trying to help, which I deeply appreciate, how would your answer change with respect to each of the following two assumptions?

1. Assuming that I'm median at whichever school I attend

2. Assuming that I'm capable of achieving the median rank in CCN, and also capable of achieving the 25 percentile in GULC

All else equal, I think it's safe to assume that with very high probability, I would achieve a higher class rank at GULC than at CCN. I'm also not arrogant enough to consider any scenario that involves an above median rank at CCN. Any scenario that involves a below median rank at CCN would trivially answer my question: no debt >>>> debt. Hence my two conditions above state the upper and lower bounds of the continuum of cases that need to be considered. If under each of the two conditions, your would consistently choose CCN over GULC or vice versa, then I believe I will find your response most informative.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:25 pm

pcwcecac wrote:All else equal, I think it's safe to assume that with very high probability, I would achieve a higher class rank at GULC than at CCN.

Why? You do realize that at GULC, people are going to have even more pressure on themselves than the students at CCN. You do realize that the difference between the schools come out to a few LSAT points. You do realize.......oh boy....if you want to think this to be the case, just go right ahead.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:25 pm

pcwcecac wrote:1. Assuming that I'm median at whichever school I attend

2. Assuming that I'm capable of achieving the median rank in CCN, and also capable of achieving the 25 percentile in GULC

All else equal, I think it's safe to assume that with very high probability, I would achieve a higher class rank at GULC than at CCN. I'm also not arrogant enough to consider any scenario that involves an above median rank at CCN. Any scenario that involves a below median rank at CCN would trivially answer my question: no debt >>>> debt. Hence my two conditions above state the upper and lower bounds of the continuum of cases that need to be considered. If under each of the two conditions, your would consistently choose CCN over GULC or vice versa, then I believe I will find your response most informative.

You just can't make those sorts of assumptions.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:26 pm

The only schools where you should assume how you will perform are....well...okay there's just Yale. And that's just bc they don't have any meaningful grading system at all.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:28 pm

pcwcecac wrote:All else equal, I think it's safe to assume that with very high probability, I would achieve a higher class rank at GULC than at CCN.

Oh god.

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:32 pm

To HeavenWood,
Your earlier recommendation is very wise. I will think twice whether or not to ED.

Considering outcomes under various and mutually exclusive scenarios is not the same as assuming a single scenario and making a decision based on it.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:48 pm

pcwcecac wrote:To HeavenWood,
Your earlier recommendation is very wise. I will think twice whether or not to ED.

Considering outcomes under various and mutually exclusive scenarios is not the same as assuming a single scenario and making a decision based on it.

Bils gave a very solid explanation as to why your reasoning (and by extension your "considering outcomes under various and mutually exclusive scenarios") is not sound. Try reading it again.

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:54 pm

To HeyGuys,

Thanks for your input. And I am really hoping that you're right. Is it truly the case that given a class rank, my job prospect coming out of GULC part time and that of graduating from CCN is similar enough that coming out of school with or without debt becomes the deciding factor?
Last edited by pcwcecac on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:02 pm

Re HeavenWood,

One could certainly consider the prospect of an individual with certain ranking at school X versus the prospect of an individual with certain ranking at school Y.

What bils is saying is that I cannot assume that I would achieve a certain rank at any institution, let alone assuming a certain ranking at two institutions.

My argument proceeds by limiting all possible scenarios to the range that I wish to consider. And since my decision is monotonic with respect to the difference in class rank at GULC and CCN, if I arrive at the same conclusion under the max difference (25%) and the min difference (0%), then that conclusion would dominate the alternative in the realm of scenarios that i wish to consider.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:14 pm

pcwcecac wrote:Re HeavenWood,

One could certainly consider the prospect of an individual with certain ranking at school X versus the prospect of an individual with certain ranking at school Y.

What bils is saying is that I cannot assume that I would achieve a certain rank at any institution, let alone assuming a certain ranking at two institutions.

My argument proceeds by limiting all possible scenarios to the range that I wish to consider. And since my decision is monotonic with respect to the difference in class rank at GULC and CCN, if I arrive at the same conclusion under the max difference (25%) and the min difference (0%), then that conclusion would dominate the alternative in the realm of scenarios that i wish to consider.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:15 pm

pcwcecac wrote:To HeyGuys,

Thanks for your input. And I am really hoping that you're right. Is it truly the case that my job prospect coming out of GULC part time and that of graduating from CCN is similar enough that coming out of school with or without debt becomes the deciding factor?

You have to consider the financial risk involved. I'm not saying that CCN grads don't have more opportunities than GULC grads; in fact, the opposite is almost certainly the case. Instead, I am saying that the amount of opportunity available there has to be weighed against the financial risk you are taking in order to possibly access those opportunities.

Plenty of both CCN and GULC grads are leaving school today unemployed and with enormous amounts of non-dischargeable student debt. None of those students entered the school thinking that they would end up in that position. You don't think you will either, but you have to realize that some people do and that there is no reason to think that you cannot possibly be one of those people. Is it worth that risk to you?

You can graduate from GULC and walk away from it. It's not the same with CCN, where you'll have a mountain of student debt to overcome.

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Thank you, heyguys. I agree with you. I had some concerns over the job prospects coming out from the part time program. But that's probably for another thread. You wrapped things up nicely for me. Thanks

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:23 pm

pcwcecac wrote:Re HeavenWood,

You sound like an absolute pleasure to be around.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”