PSA: You will not work in "international law"

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sfalloon

Re: PSA: You will not work in "international law"

Postby sfalloon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:18 pm

I would like to work in international law, preferably in the area of international trade doing policy and treaty analysis for adaptation/ enactment through local law. I also have an interest in international human rights law as well, working in either field would be ok.

I have minimal interest (practically none) in working for a large law firm. My goal is to work for the government and related agencies or non-governmental organizations. Working on finding creative solutions to some issues arising from NAFTA for agricultural industry/sector in CARICOM countries, or on the developement of local policy for the enactment of various sections of UN Convention on the Rights of the Child would be a dream come true.

I know this field/area of law is not well developed (who knows, it may never be) but it does hold some possibilities if you are willing to look for them. As someone who is considering entering law school in two years, I do not think goals of this type or the desire to work in the field is too lofty a dream. It all depends on the approach. Working for the ICC or one of its tribunals may not be possible but working for the EU, ASEAN, Mercosur, CAN and realted organizations might every well be.

bluesplitter

Postby bluesplitter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:22 pm

Have u heard of the binational law program ut-austin with mexico?

Would yall consider?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:51 pm

sfalloon wrote:I would like to work in international law, preferably in the area of international trade doing policy and treaty analysis for adaptation/ enactment through local law. I also have an interest in international human rights law as well, working in either field would be ok.

I have minimal interest (practically none) in working for a large law firm. My goal is to work for the government and related agencies or non-governmental organizations. Working on finding creative solutions to some issues arising from NAFTA for agricultural industry/sector in CARICOM countries, or on the developement of local policy for the enactment of various sections of UN Convention on the Rights of the Child would be a dream come true.

I know this field/area of law is not well developed (who knows, it may never be) but it does hold some possibilities if you are willing to look for them. As someone who is considering entering law school in two years, I do not think goals of this type or the desire to work in the field is too lofty a dream. It all depends on the approach. Working for the ICC or one of its tribunals may not be possible but working for the EU, ASEAN, Mercosur, CAN and realted organizations might every well be.

Actually, no. That's the opposite of true. Working for the EU, and often anywhere in the EU, requires either EU citizenship or a work permit, which is next to impossible to get if you don't marry a European. It's not like there is a shortage of Europeans qualifiied to work on this stuff.

If you really want to work for a regional organization, Africa is where to go. However, since that means spending an extended amount of time in Africa, it's not like many people apply. But African governments and the AU do hire US lawyers for that kind of stuff.

sfalloon

Postby sfalloon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:20 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
sfalloon wrote:I would like to work in international law, preferably in the area of international trade doing policy and treaty analysis for adaptation/ enactment through local law. I also have an interest in international human rights law as well, working in either field would be ok.

Actually, no. That's the opposite of true. Working for the EU, and often anywhere in the EU, requires either EU citizenship or a work permit, which is next to impossible to get if you don't marry a European. It's not like there is a shortage of Europeans qualifiied to work on this stuff.

If you really want to work for a regional organization, Africa is where to go. However, since that means spending an extended amount of time in Africa, it's not like many people apply. But African governments and the AU do hire US lawyers for that kind of stuff.

Worldtraveler,

I think I should have pointed out in my reply that I was not limiting myself to US law schools. Obtaining dual qualification is something I have antually looked and and the reason for my decision to place priority on schools that offer study aboard options that could lead to dual licensing/permission to practice. I actually considered working on the African continent at one point but given family health concerns, the distance between South Africa (my then option) and the Caribbean was far too great.

You are quite right in saying that a [strictly] US legal education will make it next to impossible working for a non-American trading block. There are however, some interesting combined legal de programmes that could allow transition. Columbia, for example, offers a double degree law programme with the University of Paris, there are a few others but I cannot remember the names off hand.

If anyone really wants to practise outside of the US with a strickly US degree (and without lateraling to a foreign office of a US firm), then they need to look at the licensing requierments of the countries that they are considering working and figure out what would be needed to be able to practise there.

mtbssd

Postby mtbssd » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:46 pm

SehMeSerrious wrote:This looks pretty interesting:
http://www.bakermckenzie.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_%26_McKenzie

Annecdote:
http://www.bakermckenzie.com/FCMakingGl ... riageWork/

They're an international law firm that works with businesses and governments in issues of compliance, drafting regulation/laws that meet international standards, and help do risk analysis and advise companies/governments/other entities regarding compliance, corruption, etc.

I'm friends with a man that worked for BM for quite a few years. He travelled all over and loved his international law responsibilities. I don't really understand this thread...

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:53 pm

mtbssd wrote:I'm friends with a man that worked for BM for quite a few years. He travelled all over and loved his international law responsibilities. I don't really understand this thread...

Yup, the one person that you know who works in international law totally means that such jobs are plentiful.

mtbssd

Postby mtbssd » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:37 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
mtbssd wrote:I'm friends with a man that worked for BM for quite a few years. He travelled all over and loved his international law responsibilities. I don't really understand this thread...

Yup, the one person that you know who works in international law totally means that such jobs are plentiful.

PS that is a massive firm

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:38 am

mtbssd wrote:
SehMeSerrious wrote:This looks pretty interesting:
http://www.bakermckenzie.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_%26_McKenzie

Annecdote:
http://www.bakermckenzie.com/FCMakingGl ... riageWork/

They're an international law firm that works with businesses and governments in issues of compliance, drafting regulation/laws that meet international standards, and help do risk analysis and advise companies/governments/other entities regarding compliance, corruption, etc.

I'm friends with a man that worked for BM for quite a few years. He travelled all over and loved his international law responsibilities. I don't really understand this thread...

So you know one guy at a large (and difficult firm to work for), who had a rare job at that firm and this is somehow dispositive on the issue? Are you actually retarded or just slightly cognitively impaired?

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Lulz. You do realize that 99% of baker associates do nothing resembling the "international law" that most 0Ls are talking about?

minnesotamike

Postby minnesotamike » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:23 pm

So you know one guy at a large (and difficult firm to work for), who had a rare job at that firm and this is somehow dispositive on the issue? Are you actually retarded or just slightly cognitively impaired?

I'm not the dude you were responding to, but my guess is he's just pointing out that the OP is almost certainly empirically false for some people (i.e. the elect few who will go on to do international law.) They certainly exist and they are more than likely on this board.

Sadat123

Postby Sadat123 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:57 am

Low is very important everywhere. Because if we have some idea about Low, it will be easy to face any position. So you have to learn it best school..

SPAM REMOVED BY MODS

89vision

Postby 89vision » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:22 am

International law...

Well, I think there is a push within the UN and international community to try human rights violations and other such crimes...but the international system is anarchic. There is no agreed upon international law...so there really isn't much to enforce. Maybe that is where things are headed, but these Arab uprisings are an example of how countries handle dictators and war criminals. Not through the court. There is a need to have people try countries who violate treaties, I guess, but I agree there really is no international law.

Postby 174 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:39 am

89vision wrote:International law...

Well, I think there is a push within the UN and international community to try human rights violations and other such crimes...but the international system is anarchic. There is no agreed upon international law...so there really isn't much to enforce. Maybe that is where things are headed, but these Arab uprisings are an example of how countries handle dictators and war criminals. Not through the court. There is a need to have people try countries who violate treaties, I guess, but I agree there really is no international law.

Thanks for this informative gem.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:51 am

89vision wrote:International law...

What the?????

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:14 pm

There's been some talk about international law and someone suggested revivng this thread. Its been two years since this was posted. Anyone got an international law job?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:18 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:There's been some talk about international law and someone suggested revivng this thread. Its been two years since this was posted. Anyone got an international law job?

Do you scroll through des threads looking for interesting topics to revive?

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:20 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:There's been some talk about international law and someone suggested revivng this thread. Its been two years since this was posted. Anyone got an international law job?

Rc fail, it was link to in another post. Given that rankings are coming out and there's an international law rankings....I felt t was needed.

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm going to be working for the Senate Foreign Relations Committee doing treaty ratification. Not an internship, an actual, full-time, paying job. Does that count?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:28 pm

PitchO20 wrote:I'm going to be working for the Senate Foreign Relations Committee doing treaty ratification. Not an internship, an actual, full-time, paying job. Does that count?

Probably not, but it's still a pretty cool job, and probably as close to international as most law students will get.

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:
PitchO20 wrote:I'm going to be working for the Senate Foreign Relations Committee doing treaty ratification. Not an internship, an actual, full-time, paying job. Does that count?

Probably not, but it's still a pretty cool job, and probably as close to international as most law students will get.

I should also definitely mention that the job arose largely out of personal connections, and some happenstance, and probably isn't attainable to most people coming out of law school. Also, I never went to law school solely pursuing a job in "international law" - if you do that, and don't go to HYS, you're a dumbass.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:18 am

Yes. By sheer luck.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:28 am

worldtraveler wrote:

Yes. By sheer luck.

I think this is the other thing people don't understand. They tend to think that because they're "dedicated" or "driven" or "willing to work hard" they'll rise above all the other people who want this, be "the best", and thus get the job of their dreams.

It don't work like that.

Great employment opportunities often happen by chance. I'm not saying it's totally random, but I am saying that these days, employment is about opportunity as much as it is about achievement, and no matter how capable you are you may get beaten by someone who's already got a foot in the door. (True story: A friend of a friend, as a YLS 2L, got rejected by L at the State Department. This is someone who got a Second Circuit clerkship and is legit applying to SCOTUS, so it's not like he was lacking in credentials. He'll end up with something awesome, I'm sure, but I think he's written off State for now.)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:35 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:

Rc fail, it was link to in another post. Given that rankings are coming out and there's an international law rankings....I felt t was needed.

Not seeing how your feeling logically follows, brah

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:15 am

worldtraveler wrote:

Yes. By sheer luck.

I might be confusing you with someone else, but aren't you the big "international law is a thing, people do get these jobs" person?

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:22 am

going to open a firm called International Law. Let me know if you want to work in my firm.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”