PSA: You will not work in "international law" Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Grizz

Diamond

Re: PSA: You will not work in "international law"

Post by Grizz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:15 pm

tronredo wrote:
kapachino wrote:I'm of the opinion that the naive should be allowed to be naive. They'll just argue with anyone who tells them that "international law" doesn't exist, and that's just a huge waste of time. They'll find out eventually.
It is ridiculous that the same people on TLS berate anybody who posts an inquiry about international law. If you have no deep knowledge of the field or if you're not interested in it, then stay off rather than advertise your stupidity on this site. TLS is a site where pre-law and law students come to clear ambiguities. If you're post does not add any value to a question then refrain from posting some stupid bologna just to sound interesting. Who are you to tell someone that he/she has no future in international law? Too many amateurs on this website.
Who are you to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about? Too many amateurs on this website.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:16 pm

tronredo wrote:Who are you to tell someone that he/she has no future in international law? Too many amateurs on this website.
Ha, you mad.

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:21 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
tronredo wrote:Who are you to tell someone that he/she has no future in international law? Too many amateurs on this website.
Ha, you mad.

You beat me to it. It's interesting that this poster singled me out in a thread of people saying the same thing. I think TLS has made the concession that transnational law exists, but the average law grad's odds of practicing that are still next to nil.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:28 pm

Most law that big firms do is, to some extent, international. Also, Jags do international law. International human rights law as a matter of fact, answering tricky legal questions like "does this human have the right not to get blown the fuck up."

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:34 pm

Veyron wrote:Most law that big firms do is, to some extent, international. Also, Jags do international law. International human rights law as a matter of fact, answering tricky legal questions like "does this human have the right not to get blown the fuck up."
Subtle pro-Israel trolling. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:29 pm

Whatever, I came to school to study international law. You guys need to get a grip.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:58 pm

fl0w wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:We had a 1.5 hour lecture in orientation devoted to international law, and I don't think they would have done that if we can't get jobs in that field.
No. You wouldn't think so, would you. And yet...

I mean there are def. opportunities to do things abroad at wustl. But see comments above about the actual market being narrow, international law not being well defined and meaning something different to everyone.

That being said, I am taking "international law" this semester. so we'll see what's up.
I was being facetious, but then again, I've viewed everything at wustl this week with a cynical eye. TLS makes me paranoid.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:59 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
fl0w wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:We had a 1.5 hour lecture in orientation devoted to international law, and I don't think they would have done that if we can't get jobs in that field.

I mean there are def. opportunities to do things abroad at wustl. But see comments above about the actual market being narrow, international law not being well defined and meaning something different to everyone.

That being said, I am taking "international law" this semester. so we'll see what's up.
I was being facetious, but then again, I've viewed everything at wustl this week with a cynical eye. TLS makes me paranoid.
You can do anything you want. The legal employment market is only going to grow.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:10 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:
fl0w wrote:

You can do anything you want. The legal employment market is only going to grow.
Ah, I see they've been feeding you the same bs at GW.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:14 pm

For sure. I miss being somewhere with a "real" campus. WUSTL is beautiful, I bet you're enjoying it?

By the way, I wouldn't have signed up if I weren't confident and willing to work hard (or a Government major with no sense of purpose in life). But the constant sales pitch/reassurance gets old.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 pm

tronredo wrote:TLS is a site where pre-law and law students come to clear ambiguities. If you're post does not add any value to a question then refrain from posting some stupid bologna just to sound interesting. Who are you to tell someone that he/she has no future in international law? Too many amateurs on this website.
The better question is, who are you to define what is and is not good posting etiquette on TLS?

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:27 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
tronredo wrote:TLS is a site where pre-law and law students come to clear ambiguities. If you're post does not add any value to a question then refrain from posting some stupid bologna just to sound interesting. Who are you to tell someone that he/she has no future in international law? Too many amateurs on this website.
The better question is, who are you to define what is and is not good posting etiquette on TLS?
I believe I am the resident authority on this matter. I have yet to issue my judgment. Stay tuned.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:33 pm

Naked Dude wrote:For sure. I miss being somewhere with a "real" campus. WUSTL is beautiful, I bet you're enjoying it?

By the way, I wouldn't have signed up if I weren't confident and willing to work hard (or a Government major with no sense of purpose in life). But the constant sales pitch/reassurance gets old.
It's a lovely campus, to be sure. I am enjoying it. It'll look even better when (if) I'm employment secure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:22 am

Veyron wrote:Most law that big firms do is, to some extent, international. Also, Jags do international law. International human rights law as a matter of fact, answering tricky legal questions like "does this human have the right not to get blown the fuck up."
surprisingly good point

JAG would be an awesome career, it's unfortunate that my internet ramblings have almost certainly landed me on some watch lists
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:26 am

Veyron wrote:Also, Jags do international law. International human rights law as a matter of fact, answering tricky legal questions like "does this human have the right not to get blown the fuck up."
Plus a TON of military divorces, wills, reviewing leases, etc.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:29 am

Borhas wrote:
surprisingly good point

JAG would be an awesome career, it's unfortunate that my internet ramblings have almost certainly landed me on some watch lists
JAG would be an awesome career, but it's very competitive and going to a top school is no guarantee you'll be accepted. Don't bank on it unless you were in the military before coming to LS.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:31 am

Grizz wrote:
Veyron wrote:Also, Jags do international law. International human rights law as a matter of fact, answering tricky legal questions like "does this human have the right not to get blown the fuck up."
Plus a TON of military divorces, wills, reviewing leases, etc.
Reviewing INTERNATIONAL leases, amirite?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:38 am

Lawquacious wrote:I do really think that TLS overdoes the anti-international law bit, but I do understand that in terms of actual jobs that international law is not something that someone can simply 'go into' in a similar way as many other positions or practice areas.
This is kind of the point, though. Few people will listen to rational explanations of "There are very few positions that offer true 'international law' work, especially to those with no or minimal post-LS experience, and they are often taken by the highest-achieving graduates of the very top schools, who also have international backgrounds and are fluent in blah blah blah"; instead they zone the fuck out. However, saying "YOU WILL NOT WORK IN INTERNATIONAL LAW" is just as true for 95% of posters, and gets the message across, in language those posters can understand, before they get bored and wander off.

If there are maybe 100 such job openings a year and 10,000+ people interested in them, is it overdoing it to bluntly people that they're not going to get those jobs? You're only going to be wrong about 1% of them, and that 1% is the group most likely to have done their own research and been realistic without asking TLS anyway.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:57 am

johnnyutah wrote:
Borhas wrote:
surprisingly good point

JAG would be an awesome career, but it's very competitive and going to a top school is no guarantee you'll be accepted. Don't bank on it unless you were in the military before coming to LS.
yeah I figured as much, probably as competitive as Big Law, but w/ much different factors

whatever, if I can't get a job as a PD or a DA I'm just saying fuck it and enlisting

10 years in the military would qualify for 10 year IBR
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:32 am

Borhas wrote:whatever, if I can't get a job as a PD or a DA I'm just saying fuck it and enlisting
Man after my own heart.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:45 am

You know, it seems funny to think about it now, but back in a day I feverishly followed trials of ex Yugoslavia's war criminals, wrote my senior thesis on the icc and earnestly believed (although I'd never have admitted it on tls) that i'd find a way to do international human rights after law schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:52 am

dresden doll wrote:You know, it seems funny to think about it now, but back in a day I feverishly followed trials of ex Yugoslavia's war criminals, wrote my senior thesis on the icc and earnestly believed (although I'd never have admitted it on tls) that i'd find a way to do international human rights after law schools.
Eh, I actually think you might have the type of background that could at least get you in the running, Dres.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:40 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Borhas wrote:
surprisingly good point

JAG seems cool (A Few Good Men is literally the greatest movie to play in the background while you're doing research, at least the middle part), but the thing that turns me off is the exit options. I wouldn't want to stay in longer than 5-10 years and from what I'm told the private sector opportunities aren't that great. But that's what I've heard so no idea.

lzyovrachievr

Gold

Post by lzyovrachievr » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote: If there are maybe 100 such job openings a year and 10,000+ people interested in them, is it overdoing it to bluntly people that they're not going to get those jobs? You're only going to be wrong about 1% of them, and that 1% is the group most likely to have done their own research and been realistic without asking TLS anyway.
I have a tendency to get a little tired of some people on TLS who don't know anything about the (however small) field of International Law that immediately jump on the bandwagon based on whatever they've seen on here and say, 'You'll never work in Int'l Law.'

Obviously my annoyance applies less to people who know what they're talking about, but I really appreciate this point, so I guess I'll stop being annoyed. If someone had the background and experience to make them the right fit to possibly work in the field, they wouldn't be asking TLS people who often don't actually know anything about whether or not they will be able to get jobs in it.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:39 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
fl0w wrote:

I felt like the entire week of orientation was a little overboard. Did we really need a 1.5 hour lecture on Stat law? At least Davis was cool. Too bad we don't get to take classes with her.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”