2.33/170 NYC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jayreatard

New

2.33/170 NYC

Post by jayreatard » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:20 am

Hey everyone. Ok, so I have a 2.33 LSAC gpa, which I am aware does not put me in a good spot. My LSAT on the first try was a 170, but I am going to retake in October and hopefully NOT choke on the RC section again... Over the past year I have been diagnosed with and treated for both cancer and ADD. While I'm sure the ADD won't really affect my chances, cancer diagnosis and treatment hurt my grades even if they did end up on an upward trend.

My goal is to work in NYC or at least the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT). I would like as little debt as possible. Based on LSN, I should be able to get a pretty decent sized scholly at WUSTL or another midwest school. Would this travel to the New York area? Am I better off going to Rutgers, assuming a scholarship, and living at home? Are there other options?

Thank you in advance!

dissonance1848

Silver

Re: 2.33/170 NYC

Post by dissonance1848 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:02 am

WUSTL, IUB, UIUC, UM, or NU (serious WE with a 173+ combo)

Forget about NYC. ITE, you need to get a job, forget about where it is.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:06 am

dissonance1848 wrote:WUSTL, IUB, UIUC, UM, or NU (serious WE with a 173+ combo)

Forget about NYC. ITE, you need to get a job, forget about where it is.
Credited. You're going to have a much better shot at NYC from these schools than from any school you'd be likely to get into in NYC. It wouldn't hurt to throw an app to Fordham and Brooklyn if you reeeeeeally want NYC, but don't count on it.

jayreatard

New

Post by jayreatard » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks for the responses! My concern isn't so much about going to school in NYC as it is being able to come back here to work. I would imagine WUSTL, NU, and MAYBE UIUC would give me that chance. But from what I've read, it sounds like IUB and UM do not travel well at all. Do you think adding a few points to my LSAT and a solid addendum/diversity statement about struggling with my illness during UG would improve my Fordham chances? Being able to live at home would go a long way to reducing future debt.

Light

Bronze

Post by Light » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:07 am

jayreatard wrote:Thanks for the responses! My concern isn't so much about going to school in NYC as it is being able to come back here to work. I would imagine WUSTL, NU, and MAYBE UIUC would give me that chance. But from what I've read, it sounds like IUB and UM do not travel well at all. Do you think adding a few points to my LSAT and a solid addendum/diversity statement about struggling with my illness during UG would improve my Fordham chances? Being able to live at home would go a long way to reducing future debt.

I personally think having an illness that serious would excuse the low GPA, especially if you can show a great upward trend when the illness didn't affect you as much. It should show that you are capable of good grades when something beyond your control isn't holding you back. On the other hand, as cold as it is, schools have an incentive to raise their GPA/LSAT averages so I can see them denying you too. There's not as much data on people with serious illnesses affecting their GPA to tell conclusively how your cycle would go.

My advice would be to apply to even higher ranked schools than Fordham too - shoot for the T-14. Maybe if the schools are sympathetic and you have a Fuck You LSAT score they will let you in. You may have to ride a few waitlists and accept an offer later in summer after they determine what kind of class they have and that a lower GPA won't affect their average.

Just my speculation, but good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”