Specialty ranking vs Overall ranking in International Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rock-N-Roll

Re: Specialty ranking vs Overall ranking in International Law

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:41 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:Mostly, they imagine travelling around the world doing important things. Saving the world, convicting Foday Sankoh, shutting down Coca-Cola in Guatemala for paying below the minimum wage, making the US accountable to the UN, Amnesty International....

So I thought, but I'd like to give folks the benefit of the doubt. Why would one go to law school not really knowing a whole lot about what being a lawyer really is?

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:42 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
shoeshine wrote:Does anyone have the bird law rankings? I am definitely looking for a school ranked high in bird law litigation.

Dude, although relevant this is kinda an old joke already.

Come to think of it. Yah, it is old and this is an on topic forum.

I will stick to berating the OP for asking a question that encompasses several issues that have already been beaten to death on this forum. I should have just used the "Let me search TLS for you" site.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:47 pm

shoeshine wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
shoeshine wrote:Does anyone have the bird law rankings? I am definitely looking for a school ranked high in bird law litigation.

I will stick to berating the OP for asking a question that encompasses several issues that have already been beaten to death on this forum. I should have just used the "Let me search TLS for you" site.

:D

The thread is worthwhile because I think it's time for people who ask about international law on here to enlighten us all as to what that field of law actually is. Did you see this nonsense?

tronredo wrote: many countries are giving up their national sovereignty to globalization

What?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:I mean are we talking about international transactional work or do people think that they will be trying war crimes cases at the Hague? I would think the former is a lot more achievable than the latter.

Mostly, they imagine travelling around the world doing important things. Saving the world, convicting Foday Sankoh, shutting down Coca-Cola in Guatemala for paying below the minimum wage, making the US accountable to the UN, Amnesty International....

So I thought, but I'd like to give folks the benefit of the doubt. Why would one go to law school not really knowing a whole lot about what being a lawyer really is?

Same reason being a flight-attendant seemed cool to hot chicks in high-school who couldn't pass algebra...way back.

Sigh, at least flight-attendants were hot back then. Now, the average flight attendant is between forty and death.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:50 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:Same reason being a flight-attendant seemed cool to hot chicks in high-school who couldn't pass algebra...way back.

Sigh, at least flight-attendants were hot back then. Now, the average flight attendant is between forty and death.

that's domesTTTic flights, bro. try international flights and you'll see some hot flight attendants. follow the wind of globalization.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:58 pm

soj wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:Same reason being a flight-attendant seemed cool to hot chicks in high-school who couldn't pass algebra...way back.

that's domesTTTic flights, bro. try international flights and you'll see some hot flight attendants. follow the wind of globalization.

This is credited. Also, if you are ever in Spain. There is a low cost carrier called ClickAir that only hires hot female flight attendants.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:59 pm

tronredo wrote:
Teoeo wrote:This thread has potential

Why do most people on TLS have a negative bias towards international law? Do you all realize that we live in an era of globalization where the world is bonded in a close interwoven web? From politics to culture, decisions taken my people, business and government in other countries affect people 14000 miles away. Greed on wall street and the fall of Lehman brothers almost sent the WHOLE WORLD into a financial meltdown, a protest in Egypt has a lot of repercussions in almost evry country.

International law will be a prominent field in the years to come as many countries are giving up their national sovereignty to globalization.

lol

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:09 pm

I didn't really read the thread but I thought I should mention that most international lawyers fly in helicopters to their court cases so I don't understand why we're talking about flight attendants.

tronredo

Postby tronredo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:09 pm

shoeshine wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:

I don't think anyone who is posting on this thread right now has even done any kind of research about the field of international law. I have done mine and i intend to do it. My question was not about the importance of international law or what it encompasses. I asked about overall vs specialty rankings.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:16 pm

tronredo wrote: I don't think anyone who is posting on this thread right now has even done any kind of research about the field of international law. I have done mine and i intend to do it. My question was not about the importance of international law or what it encompasses. I asked about overall vs specialty rankings.

Why don't you share your research findings with the unsophisticated masses and save us from our ignorance, ye erudite of all things international whatchamacallit?
Last edited by Blessedassurance on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:18 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
tronredo wrote: I don't think anyone who is posting on this thread right now has even done any kind of research about the field of international law. I have done mine and i intend to do it. My question was not about the importance of international law or what it encompasses. I asked about overall vs specialty rankings.

Why don't you share your research findings with the unsophisticated masses and save us from our ignorance, ye erudite?

You must have missed it. International law is going to save the sovereignty of developing countries from the winds of globalization. :lol:

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:21 pm

tronredo wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:

I don't think anyone who is posting on this thread right now has even done any kind of research about the field of international law. I have done mine and i intend to do it. My question was not about the importance of international law or what it encompasses. I asked about overall vs specialty rankings.

You are ridiculous. Use the search function!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=295
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=146932
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103796
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=149329

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Emma. wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

Why don't you share your research findings with the unsophisticated masses and save us from our ignorance, ye erudite?

You must have missed it. International law is going to save the sovereignty of developing countries from the winds of globalization. :lol:

Now Playing: Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin'

tronredo

Postby tronredo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:27 pm

I will stick to berating the OP for asking a question that encompasses several issues that have already been beaten to death on this forum. I should have just used the "Let me search TLS for you" site.[/quote]

I don't think anyone who is posting on this thread right now has even done any kind of research about the field of international law. I have done mine and i intend to do it. My question was not about the importance of international law or what it encompasses. I asked about overall vs specialty rankings.[/quote]
You are ridiculous. Use the search function!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=295
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=146932
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103796
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=149329[/quote]

Thanks. this actually answers my question.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:29 pm

tronredo wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:

When I need an example to show special snowflake syndrome to posters in the future, I will reference this post.

ihhwap1

Postby ihhwap1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

sven

Postby sven » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:35 pm

ihhwap1 wrote:Z0mg I really want 2 travel and stuff! So where shuld i go 4 international law? LOL

/facepalm

OK, so let's say that one is interested in international trade law. She has some (minimal but prestigious) experience studying/teaching abroad and can get into a CCN school. Is it naive to think that she would have actual options for a career in the field?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:38 pm

sven wrote:
ihhwap1 wrote:Z0mg I really want 2 travel and stuff! So where shuld i go 4 international law? LOL

/facepalm

OK, so let's say that one is interested in international trade law. She has some (minimal but prestigious) experience studying/teaching abroad and can get into a CCN school. Is it naive to think that she would have actual options for a career in the field?

What do you want to do? What job do you want to have?

sven

Postby sven » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Grizz wrote:
sven wrote:

/facepalm

Haha the plan isn't very well-formed, but here's an ideal: In the near term, working on transactions at a big firm that would ideally enable some travel between the firm's international offices. In the far term, helping to negotiate trade agreements or maybe working for the WTO.

tronredo

Postby tronredo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:50 pm

sven wrote:
Grizz wrote:
sven wrote:

/facepalm

Haha the plan isn't very well-formed, but here's an ideal: In the near term, working on transactions at a big firm that would ideally enable some travel between the firm's international offices. In the far term, helping to negotiate trade agreements or maybe working for the WTO.

Finally something constructive.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:59 pm

sven wrote:In the near term, working on transactions at a big firm that would ideally enable some travel between the firm's international offices.

You probably won't get the travel you want. People do the deals from offices in NYC. You could put in for a transfer to a foreign office though.

Get the job by going to a top school and getting good grades. Then, enjoy due diligence crap.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:12 pm

tronredo wrote:Would you rather study international law at Georgetown U law school (#3 International law rankings, #14 overall) or Michigan law school (#9 intl law, #6 overall)

You've clearly done some diligent research.

Turtledove

Postby Turtledove » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:13 pm

sven wrote:
Grizz wrote:
sven wrote:

/facepalm

Almost all corporate lawyers at big NYC firms could be considered "international lawyers" under the definition above, since most corporations have affiliates abroad. However, there is virtually no travel associated with such positions and the work is literally completely identical to the work one would do for an entirely domestic corporation.

The UN/NGO/International organization form of international law BARELY exists as there are a very small number of such positions available. From my understanding it's not a realistic career path for those that do not speak one (or preferably several) in-demand foreign languages and/or have extensive pre-law experience working for such organizations. Although there are a very small number of people for whom this is a realistic career path, the vast majority of 0Ls who envision such jobs when they speak of "international law" will be very disappointed.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Hey man, if you go to Georgetown or Michigan you will have an uphill battle getting "international" law.

Also, if you are talking international corporate work, you are basically saying "London," "Hong Kong," or "Tokyo." Outside of these three there is a ton of work in Beijing and Shanghai, but you probably need fluency in Chinese to do it, or need to make partner and lateral first.

If you are talking human rights stuff, do you speak French? If not, it will be hard to find the work. I would learn it while in law school to have a good shot.

sven

Postby sven » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:58 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Hey man, if you go to Georgetown or Michigan you will have an uphill battle getting "international" law.

Also, if you are talking international corporate work, you are basically saying "London," "Hong Kong," or "Tokyo." Outside of these three there is a ton of work in Beijing and Shanghai, but you probably need fluency in Chinese to do it, or need to make partner and lateral first.

If you are talking human rights stuff, do you speak French? If not, it will be hard to find the work. I would learn it while in law school to have a good shot.

London's great; I would love to work there for a few years. And I'm thinking about Columbia/NYU. Does that make any of my goals more realistic? As I mentioned above, I have no interest in human rights (in the professional sense). Also, out of curiosity, are any litigators involved in international trade matters, or is it just a transactional attorney domain?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”