GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GW vs T14

GW (100% scholarship)
33
50%
T14 @ sticker (excluding Harvard and Yale)
33
50%
 
Total votes: 66

bbalcrzy23
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:57 pm

GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:10 pm

If you are accepted into GW - early admission, you get a 100% scholarship.

If you are able to get this scholarship, then you definitely could get into a T14, at least at sticker.

So my question is: would you rather attend GW (100% scholarship) or a T-14 at sticker (excluding Harvard and Yale)?

bbalcrzy23
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:12 pm

To me, it seems kind of ridiculous to pass up a full-ride at a school such as GW, but I'd like to see what others think.

User avatar
mi-chan17
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby mi-chan17 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:14 pm

I feel obligated, as a current GW student, to point out that GW's ED is not full-ride. It is full-tuition, which does save the recipient a substantial amount of money ($45k+ per year). However, you would still have to cover your cost of living, books, etc.

bbalcrzy23
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:17 pm

Yea I understand that.

Thanks for the clarification though.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby duckmoney » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:18 pm

bbalcrzy23 wrote:To me, it seems kind of ridiculous to pass up a full-ride at a school such as GW, but I'd like to see what others think.


It depends on the T14. Is a full ride to GW better than sticker at Georgetown? Probably. Is it better than sticker at UVA? Maybe. It it better than sticker at Chicago? Probably not.

Bear in mind that you may still qualify for partial scholarship at a T14 school. Or you may get substantial (if not full) tuition from a school like Vandy or Texas, which could well be better than GW.

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby Gecko of Doom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:32 pm

I don't know specifics, but from what I've heard, you have to have pretty fantastic numbers to get GW's full-tuition ED. I'm guessing if you had such numbers, you could get money at some T14's.

bbalcrzy23
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:04 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:I don't know specifics, but from what I've heard, you have to have pretty fantastic numbers to get GW's full-tuition ED. I'm guessing if you had such numbers, you could get money at some T14's.


Yea I think I agree. If you are capable of getting a full-ride you will probably get some money at some better schools.

So I guess it's worth applying if you think you are not capable of getting it. That way you either 1. get it (very unlikely) or 2. express your huge interest in attending which may help once you get deferred to regular decision.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:03 pm

Depends on the T14. I'd pick full ride GW over sticker Georgetown or Cornell, but I'd pay sticker at the others.

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby Robespierre » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:21 pm

HYSCCNMVP - I'd take them at sticker over the GW full ride.

GULC - I'd take the GW full ride.

The other four T14s - More complex analysis. I'd take them at sticker over the GW full ride IF I COULD PAY the sticker (or most of it). If I had to borrow the sticker (or most of it), I'd take the GW full ride. Exception: If you defintiely want to practice in Chi/Calif/the South/NYC, I guess you'd take NU/Berk/Duke/Cornell respectively at sticker even with major debt.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:23 pm

Robespierre wrote:HYSCCNMVP - I'd take them at sticker over the GW full ride.

GULC - I'd take the GW full ride.

The other four T14s - More complex analysis. I'd take them at sticker over the GW full ride IF I COULD PAY the sticker (or most of it). If I had to borrow the sticker (or most of it), I'd take the GW full ride. Exception: If you defintiely want to practice in Chi/Calif/the South/NYC, I guess you'd take NU/Berk/Duke/Cornell respectively at sticker even with major debt.


MVP = DN

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby NYC Law » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:25 pm

Rancid anti-Stanford trolling

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby Z3RO » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:38 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Robespierre wrote:HYSCCNMVP - I'd take them at sticker over the GW full ride.

GULC - I'd take the GW full ride.

The other four T14s - More complex analysis. I'd take them at sticker over the GW full ride IF I COULD PAY the sticker (or most of it). If I had to borrow the sticker (or most of it), I'd take the GW full ride. Exception: If you defintiely want to practice in Chi/Calif/the South/NYC, I guess you'd take NU/Berk/Duke/Cornell respectively at sticker even with major debt.


MVP = DN

Agreed.

also Berk = GW ;)

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby Gecko of Doom » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:00 pm

NYC Law wrote:Rancid anti-Stanford trolling

STTTanford is for Yale rejects.

confusedlaw
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby confusedlaw » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:53 pm

LSN shows out of the 6 people available who got into the ed program two of them had 167's with gpa's at 3.57 and 3.75

as someone with a 167 3.7 and everyone on the board saying that i will be shut out of the top 14, it does seem that the GW ed is a good program for someone with numbers like mine, just throwing it out there

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:04 pm

As people have said, it depends on the T14. As a Georgetown student I can tell you a fullride at GW is better than sticker here. The two schools have fairly similar employment prospects, and you're more likely to kill it grade-wise at GW. Ultimately, though, it depends on how much money you have and what your goals are. If your family is rich and money is no object, why not? Similarly, if all you could ever see yourself doing is academia, then I'd consider sticker at Michigan and up. For biglaw I'd consider sticker at CCN.

terrybhs06
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:19 am

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby terrybhs06 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:29 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:As people have said, it depends on the T14. As a Georgetown student I can tell you a fullride at GW is better than sticker here. The two schools have fairly similar employment prospects, and you're more likely to kill it grade-wise at GW. Ultimately, though, it depends on how much money you have and what your goals are. If your family is rich and money is no object, why not? Similarly, if all you could ever see yourself doing is academia, then I'd consider sticker at Michigan and up. For biglaw I'd consider sticker at CCN.


Disagree with this on both counts. Still.. you are taking a chance either way.

A) job prospects are most definitely NOT similar right now. DC in general is crazy right now. Top 1/3rd at Georgetown is in a much, much better positions than the equivalent at GWU. I was in DC this summer and at most of the major firms you would've been hard pressed to find more than one or two people who weren't from top 10ish schools. A lot of the firms that used to have classes around 25 and hired local students now have classes in the 5-10 range and hire basically only T14.

B) There isnt a big enough difference between the students at GWU and Georgetown to indicate that the same student would do significantly better at one or the other.

ETA: Im not sure of the exact situation at Georgetown/Cornell right now because I never seriously considered those schools but I would take sticker at the other T14 over GWU if I were set on law school.

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:19 am

Any school but Georgetown and I am taking it over GW full ride. I would still be ending up with $75k debt from GW and the T13 gives each student at or above median a shot at BigLaw.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby 20160810 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:24 pm

I'd probably pay for HYSCCNPB and take GW over the rest.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby duckmoney » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:02 pm

SBL wrote:I'd probably pay for HYSCCNPB and take GW over the rest.


Egregious Berkeley trolling

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby TheFactor » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:28 pm

SBL wrote:I'd probably pay for HYSCCNPB and take GW over the rest.

One of these is not like the rest...

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: GW (ED - full ride) vs T14 (sticker)

Postby 20160810 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:00 pm

TheFactor wrote:
SBL wrote:I'd probably pay for HYSCCNPB and take GW over the rest.

One of these is not like the rest...

I work (and wanted to work as a 0L) in the SF area. YMMV.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests