WashU vs Fordham Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wustl vs Fordham

Washington University in St. Louis
65%
Fordham University in NYC
35%

Total votes: 20

tc64

New

WashU vs Fordham

Post by tc64 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:43 am

I am choosing between WashU and Fordham, currently no money from either but am going to ask. I grew up in Chicago and currently live in the Midwest, but I want to be in Chicago, New York, DC or abroad when I graduate. I am interested in refugee and human rights law, nonprofit orgs and public interest.

One big benefit of WashU is my older sibling (who I am very close to) goes to law school there, I have friends there, and its higher ranked.

Benefit of Fordham is: it is in New York, they have internships with organizations I want to work for, and its in NYC!

I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!
Last edited by tc64 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

monarchylover

Bronze

Re: WashU vs Fordham

Post by monarchylover » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:48 am

tc64 wrote:I am choosing between WashU and Fordham, currently no money from either but am going to ask. I grew up in Chicago and currently live in the Midwest, but I want to be in Chicago, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>New York<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,, DC or abroad when I graduate. I am interested in refugee and human rights law, nonprofit orgs and public interest.

One big benefit of WashU is my older sibling (who I am very close to) goes to law school there, I have friends there, and its higher ranked.

Benefit of Fordham is: it is in New York, they have internships with organizations I want to work for, and its in NYC!

go where you want to go
Last edited by monarchylover on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

transplantedbuckeye

Bronze

Post by transplantedbuckeye » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:50 am

I know nothing about Fordham, but WashU has some international programs and a Study abroad program around the corner from the Hague and focused on international law. I believe one of the judges there teaches a class or is at least heavily involved. I believe the international externships/clinics are with nonprofits, the international criminal court, etc. Also, we have the DC clinic where you spend a semester working in DC. I would email the admissions office/clinic office about these programs.

I also know someone who interned at the Hague this summer, but that's obviously hard to do and anecdotal.

Also, there is a program where you can go work in South Africa for the summer.
Last edited by transplantedbuckeye on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:50 am

if its for this fall- where are you currently enrolled? Why did you choose that school- anjd go beyond rankings and the like( you dont have to answer it here, but you should do some deep thinking). THere has to be a strong reason that you chose that school i nthe first place. IF its for not for this cycle- you need to pick one city to live in. If at the end of reviewing your notes, your thought process and why you choose a school over the other, and you arent fully ready to commit to graduating there at median- wait out the cycle and reapply in a month.

DOnt worry about the speciality clinics. Its nice, but you need to make the decision about the school- the region you want to work in. YOu can also talk or pm students from each school for better clarification and insight.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:57 am

I'd go with Fordham since you have a better shot at NYC/DC from there than you do Chicago from WUSTL. But then again, I'm clearly biased.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:09 am

NYC Law wrote:I'd go with Fordham since you have a better shot at NYC from there than you do Chicago from WUSTL.
Fixed. If you want NYC - Fordham and if you want Chicago, UIUC.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:13 am

This will be an easier decision to make once you know about $$$$

I got into both schools myself. WUSTL gave me near full-ride (and I took it), Fordham was stingy (i think it was 10k/yr)

If you do well at WUSTL you can go wherever you want. I broke into NorCal from WUSTL 1L summer and just cemented my offer there again for 2L summer. WUSTL will get you to CHI easier, but CHI is honestly pretty hard to crack right now. I'm a CHI native and even had some trouble. Fordham will give you a leg up to NYC (i dunno about DC) because it's there. WUSTL also has a new program ... NYC Clinic thing that is focused on corporate law I think. I'm not interested in it so I dunno the details.

So figure out $$$
think about where you want to be.
Then choose.

hth

monarchylover

Bronze

Post by monarchylover » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:14 am

fl0w wrote:This will be an easier decision to make once you know about $$$$

I got into both schools myself. WUSTL gave me near full-ride (and I took it), Fordham was stingy (i think it was 10k/yr)

If you do well at WUSTL you can go wherever you want. I broke into NorCal from WUSTL 1L summer and just cemented my offer there again for 2L summer. WUSTL will get you to CHI easier, but CHI is honestly pretty hard to crack right now. I'm a CHI native and even had some trouble. Fordham will give you a leg up to NYC (i dunno about DC) because it's there. WUSTL also has a new program ... NYC Clinic thing that is focused on corporate law I think. I'm not interested in it so I dunno the details.

So figure out $$$
Then choose.

hth
Both schools start classes on the 29th so I would imagine this is a very last minute decision?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:17 am

monarchylover wrote:
fl0w wrote:This will be an easier decision to make once you know about $$$$

So figure out $$$
Then choose.

hth
Both schools start classes on the 29th so I would imagine this is a very last minute decision?
That's a good point. Wustl also has a great DC clinic. I just know more about the school because I go there. I don't know what Fordham has, but I'm sure OP has done their research if they are deciding between the two.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zzzzzzzzzz

New

Post by zzzzzzzzzz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:33 am

WashU is the better ranked school. People on TLS may complain all the time that WashU doesn't really deserve its ranking in the top 20, but from what I've seen WashU's reputation extends pretty much everywhere except maybe California. I think that WashU will give you a better chance at Chicago, a slightly better chance at DC, and at least as good a chance at NYC as Fordham would. Without money from either school, I'd head to WashU, especially if you have a close family member there.

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:38 am

tc64 wrote:I am choosing between WashU and Fordham, currently no money from either but am going to ask. I grew up in Chicago and currently live in the Midwest, but I want to be in Chicago, New York, DC or abroad when I graduate. I am interested in refugee and human rights law, nonprofit orgs and public interest.

the fact that your sibling and friends go there is enough reason. you can get insight, notes, etc. thats invaluable.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:41 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I'd go with Fordham since you have a better shot at NYC from there than you do Chicago from WUSTL.
This.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:43 am

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:WashU is the better ranked school. People on TLS may complain all the time that WashU doesn't really deserve its ranking in the top 20, but from what I've seen WashU's reputation extends pretty much everywhere except maybe California. I think that WashU will give you a better chance at Chicago, a slightly better chance at DC, and at least as good a chance at NYC as Fordham would. Without money from either school, I'd head to WashU, especially if you have a close family member there.
in my experience, anyone you'd want to spend time talking to / working with in Cal knows WUSTL and its reputation. Consider NorCal where your part of your competition is hastings, davis, USF. You have a leg up on the locals if you have a convincing reason to come to Cal. Then there is Berk and Stan... but the lower ranked NorCal students get jobs with that competition, you certainly can coming from WUSTL.

moot because OP doesn't want to go to Cal., I just like pointing out that if you want something, go get it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:44 am

Bronx Bum wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
This.
if you want ONLY chicago... and don't care about having those other options, then yes go to UIUC.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:34 pm

Unless your family is able to pay your loans and living expense for the next 15-20 years then moving to NYC to attend one of the most expensive law schools in the country in order to pursue non-profit work is a fool's errand.

monarchylover

Bronze

Post by monarchylover » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:40 pm

MrAnon wrote:Unless your family is able to pay your loans and living expense for the next 15-20 years then moving to NYC to attend one of the most expensive law schools in the country in order to pursue non-profit work is a fool's errand.
Yes because $196,671 would not be a fools errand but $220,719 in a city that will have many more public sector jobs is crazy as hell

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:50 pm

monarchylover wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Unless your family is able to pay your loans and living expense for the next 15-20 years then moving to NYC to attend one of the most expensive law schools in the country in order to pursue non-profit work is a fool's errand.
Yes because $196,671 would not be a fools errand but $220,719 in a city that will have many more public sector jobs is crazy as hell
Both are very stupid.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

monarchylover

Bronze

Post by monarchylover » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:52 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
Both are very stupid.
Bingo!!! the real answer is to work with you UG career services department and if you don't find a real job buy 500 x pills and sell them at a mark up

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:09 pm

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:WashU is the better ranked school. People on TLS may complain all the time that WashU doesn't really deserve its ranking in the top 20, but from what I've seen WashU's reputation extends pretty much everywhere except maybe California. I think that WashU will give you a better chance at Chicago, a slightly better chance at DC, and at least as good a chance at NYC as Fordham would. Without money from either school, I'd head to WashU, especially if you have a close family member there.
Bolded is against pretty much everything I've ever heard about the two schools.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:36 pm

You'll really only have a chance at NYC from WUSTL with top 10% or around that. I've managed three CBs in NYC from ND, but at Fordham being top 10% you'll have interviews with at least half the V10. Anyway, neither school is worth sticker so TCR is to retake and reapply.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:18 am

ndirish2010 wrote:You'll really only have a chance at NYC from WUSTL with top 10% or around that. I've managed three CBs in NYC from ND, but at Fordham being top 10% you'll have interviews with at least half the V10. Anyway, neither school is worth sticker so TCR is to retake and reapply.
this is just false. sorry.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”