Michigan deferral or reapply?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ipanever
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:35 am

Michigan deferral or reapply?

Postby ipanever » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:41 am

I just got the offer for a (binding) deferral from Michigan. 171/3.44

Is it worth sticker and summer start? They told me it would be highly unlikely without other scholarship offers to negotiate a scholarship. I don't have any. I was a late applicant this year. Waitlisted at CLS and NYU, probably no hope at either without a retake. Can't imagine going anywhere else that would offer me $, with the exception of NU and they might not offer me very much.

What would you do in this situation; also ITE?

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Michigan deferral or reapply?

Postby tmon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:09 am

I'd take it unless you have thoughts of (and a lot of confidence in) retaking or you're dead set on not going anywhere at sticker. Retaking a 171 seems like a risky proposition though, unless you were consistently in the high 170s. Sticker's not ideal, but if the only comparable school you think you could get $ from when you reapply is NU, I don't think you can count on them. It seems like applicants (splitters in particular) are far more likely to get $ from M than NU. I also wonder if reapplying with the same application after they offered you admission the year before could annoy someone there, resulting in things not working out in your favor.
Basically, if you're prepared and not totally freaked out about sticker at M I'd say take it.

Good luck, and congrats on the unexpected offer :)

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Michigan deferral or reapply?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:12 am

tmon wrote:I'd take it unless you have thoughts of (and a lot of confidence in) retaking or you're dead set on not going anywhere at sticker. Retaking a 171 seems like a risky proposition though, unless you were consistently in the high 170s. Sticker's not ideal, but if the only comparable school you think you could get $ from when you reapply is NU, I don't think you can count on them. It seems like applicants (splitters in particular) are far more likely to get $ from M than NU. I also wonder if reapplying with the same application after they offered you admission the year before could annoy someone there, resulting in things not working out in your favor.
Basically, if you're prepared and not totally freaked out about sticker at M I'd say take it.

Good luck, and congrats on the unexpected offer :)

Not sure if I agree. I got off the WL at ND this cycle and they told me to send an email to get a fee waiver for this coming cycle and seemed pretty cool with the idea of me reapplying (though hopefully I'll have better numbers :wink: )

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Michigan deferral or reapply?

Postby tmon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:30 am

Right, but the difference is (if I understand your situation right, J :) ) 1-- that ND may not be the best you can get with your LSAT ability (and you're willing to retake) and 2--ND isn't one of your top school choices.
Seems like OP is pretty high on M and really only compares to NU. But if all we're talking about here is scholly $ then I don't think you can expect to get anything from NU that M isn't going to get you. If they're debt averse then reapplying early and hoping on $ is the plan. But the thought of reapplication without changing the app info is just unsettling to me. Not sure if there's any reason behind it.

ipanever
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:35 am

Re: Michigan deferral or reapply?

Postby ipanever » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:39 am

tmon wrote:Right, but the difference is (if I understand your situation right, J :) ) 1-- that ND may not be the best you can get with your LSAT ability (and you're willing to retake) and 2--ND isn't one of your top school choices.
Seems like OP is pretty high on M and really only compares to NU. But if all we're talking about here is scholly $ then I don't think you can expect to get anything from NU that M isn't going to get you. If they're debt averse then reapplying early and hoping on $ is the plan. But the thought of reapplication without changing the app info is just unsettling to me. Not sure if there's any reason behind it.


All of the above and more. ND seems like really friendly folk who really want qualified applicants and have the money to throw at them. Their endowment seems much larger than anything else in the 15-25 range. I mean, I have no evidence of this, except that ND threw me a lot of money too.

Basically, I was told that I don't qualify for a scholarship, and that the only way to change the game would be to get one from a peer school. I don't think VPD would bite with money, my only hope would be to use CGN (probably not G...) to get money and then bring that to Mich. I don't think that would change the game much. Not enough to take a chance on not getting accepted again, anyways, and going through the hassle of reapplying. I would go to N with money, and this and the possibility of a hail mary ED to CLS or getting preferential treatment that overlooks my poor GPA from the other C are the only things that gives me pause. I don't think the pause is that significant though. I will have "what if?" regrets about CLS, because their programs and opportunities really were spot on, but the chances are so slim that they're little more than pipe dreams.

If it weren't binding, I'd probably apply around just for some schollies that would help me leverage, but I'd probably still choose Mich. So, considering I put myself in this situation and basically paved the way here subconsciously, I think I'm going with it.

Rest of thread: try to talk me out of it, if you need to. Or congratulate me.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Michigan deferral or reapply?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:42 am

Congratulations !

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Michigan deferral or reapply?

Postby buckilaw » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:54 am

I'd lean towards taking the deferral. Your LSAT is above most medians in the T14, but even if you retake and score a 173-175 CCN still isn't a sure thing because of your GPA. Likewise with money from other schools, even if you improve, your LSAT is already above median for most places so the boost in $ would likely be marginal.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Michigan deferral or reapply?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:57 am

tmon: my point was that M might not be as disinclined to look at him, even if his app was virtually the same, based on a similar experience I have had.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], carlos_danger, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests