Edit: In at UChicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell or Re-take?

Cornell at near sticker
46%
Re-take and re-apply
54%

Total votes: 54

Dany

Re: Last minute decision: Cornell (7k/y) or Re-take?

Postby Dany » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:42 am

I would retake and reapply. Law school will always be there, and you could improve your financial situation and/or your employment prospects drastically if you put the time in for a better score. Cornell's a good school, but if you think you can do better on the LSAT, it could save you tens of thousands of dollars and is one of the best investments of your time that you can make. Also, even if you don't get a higher score (which with proper preparation I think you can) you can save money this year while working to help defray some expenses of law school and gain some work experience, which I've heard time and again that law firm recruiters love.

Plus figuring out housing at the last minute is stressful.

Light

Postby Light » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:42 pm

Hey guys great update here. Just got accepted at UChicago from the waitlist after a brief LOCI I sent a couple days ago. A really lucky reach for my numbers. I've just transformed into a middle aged black lady with a walker and dragon kicked a toddler through a glass window. WTF?

Anyway, no mention of a scholly in the acceptance letter so I'm probably going sticker. Does TLS think this is a good deal? I can get my full tuition back from Cornell. For the record, I am only WLed at UPenn currently (Duke closed the WL today)

I am inclined to accept.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Take it. Congrats! That's quite an impressive reach acceptance.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:51 pm

It depends on how much you think you could raise your LSAT. If you think you could bump it up to 172+, I'm not sure I'd take UChi at sticker since you would be in with money there next cycle. But if you think you'd just get it to like a 169-170, I'd definitely take Chicago now. Either way, I would absolutely take Chicago at sticker over a $21k scholarship at Cornell, and I don't think taking Chicago at sticker for this year is a bad decision.

All that being said, I absolutely love UChicago, and huge congrats on your acceptance! It's definitely a good option, and we'd love to have you in Hyde Park in a few weeks! Feel free to PM me with any questions. I know housing was an issue at Cornell, but orientation at Chi doesn't start until the 19th of September so you have plenty of time to find a place before then, and there are tons of living options in Hyde Park.

Best of luck with the decision!

uchi15hopeful

Postby uchi15hopeful » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:22 am

Wow, congratulations! That's great news.

Personally, that terrifies me; that means I can spend 8 months waiting for an acceptance e-mail, if I get put on the wait list this December? Oh man, I don't know if I could take the anticipation.

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:38 am

i would definitely take U Chicago. Cornell was an iffy bet, but Chicago's in another league, and plus you have more time to make the move.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:43 am

Light wrote:Hey guys great update here. Just got accepted at UChicago from the waitlist after a brief LOCI I sent a couple days ago. A really lucky reach for my numbers. I've just transformed into a middle aged black lady with a walker and dragon kicked a toddler through a glass window. WTF?

Anyway, no mention of a scholly in the acceptance letter so I'm probably going sticker. Does TLS think this is a good deal? I can get my full tuition back from Cornell. For the record, I am only WLed at UPenn currently (Duke closed the WL today)

I am inclined to accept.
Wow, congrats. In your position I would go to Chicago (I was basically in your position and made the same choice). You've still got a month to find housing and Chicago blows Cornell out of the water at a lot of things.

Light

Re: Edit: In at UChicago

Postby Light » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks everyone!

I withdrew from Cornell and told UChicago I'd accept their offer. I'm not confident enough to sit out another cycle and gamble with the LSAT and the risk of an even more competitive entering class too. I'd say this acceptance was a good fortune considering what an extreme splitter I was here. It turns out, someone deferred their acceptance to next year so a spot opened up- guess I sent the LOCI at the right time. I'll try and find out about getting a bit of need-based aid since I did at G-town (and thus bargained for the same amount at Cornell).

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone, I was totally not expecting this. I guess this finally ends my cycle that began when my apps were complete and sent out in November.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:17 pm

Congrats on the decision!!! UChi is a fantasic place. :D Be sure to find the 2014 Facebook group (it's closed so you'll have to request to join) but people are talking about housing and stuff there.

Perch

Postby Perch » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:19 pm

Congrats!

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:24 pm

Congrats on making your decision! Yay Chicago! We also have a TLS thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=141661

And some rising 2Ls have a really helpful thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=140165

Return to “Choosing a Law School”