Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Charleston School of Law
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:59 pm 

crossarmant wrote:
ahduke99 wrote:
I may just offer to stay in Charleston and work for the year and retake the LSAT. I was speaking with a friend about moving to Washington DC and working in a financial institution for a year or two while I figured out what my best move should be, but I may not have the chance for a while. My family even offered to pay the $19,000 for this semester to see how I did. They seem really desperate to keep me in town even though it's a huge waste of money. The last thing I want is to come out of law school and be either unemployed or working a job that pays me $40k for long hours.

TITCR

You just graduated, make sure it's a field you want to spend the rest of your life in. Work in at a law office or something. Get a feel of what you'd be doing. It's absolutely absurd to blow that much cash on LS, nonetheless a TTTT, when you're K-JDer. You have a Business degree from Wake Forest which should set you up for a nice job for the next year or two, which will only help your applications to LS in 2012/13. Take your time. No need to rush. This is a career choice that will follow you for the rest of your life.

I worked in a law office last summer. Unfortunately, they were renovating, so all the summer help spent their days moving furniture and organizing files for all the paralegals. It was a malpractice firm though, and while interesting, I know that isn't something I want to do given my interests lie in the business field.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:07 pm 

Listen up. I love the city of Charleston,but I like a lot of southern towns. It is very quaint and has some beautiful areas. However, stay away from University of Charleston law school for the following reasons:

!. First it just got full ABA approval on August 5,2011. This is a problem because there won't be a lot of successful alumni, especially partners that make hiring decisions, around to help its grads. This alone should preclude you from going there unless you have sold job connections yourself.

2. I don't like any law school that has lots of requirements. Charleston is among those that have many requrements. In fact, your first two years of law school will be filled with requred courses, some of which I would bet you would not want to take.

3. Tuition is very high for a school that I don't even see listed in the rankings. If it is a T4 or T3 school, it is still far too expensive for what they give you.

4. Also, very importantly, you said you were waitlisted at USC. This means that you probably did reasonably well on your LSAT. I would either apply to other schools that have more of a cache, such as University of Miami, Stetson, etc. or, even better, study hard for the LSAT in order to raise your scores a few points.

Bottom line: Don't go there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:13 pm 

taxguy wrote:
Listen up. I love the city of Charleston,but I like a lot of southern towns. It is very quaint and has some beautiful areas. However, stay away from University of Charleston law school for the following reasons:

!. First it just got full ABA approval on August 5,2011. This is a problem because there won't be a lot of successful alumni, especially partners that make hiring decisions, around to help its grads. This alone should preclude you from going there unless you have sold job connections yourself.

2. I don't like any law school that has lots of requirements. Charleston is among those that have many requrements. In fact, your first two years of law school will be filled with requred courses, some of which I would bet you would not want to take.

3. Tuition is very high for a school that I don't even see listed in the rankings. If it is a T4 or T3 school, it is still far too expensive for what they give you.

4. Also, very importantly, you said you were waitlisted at USC. This means that you probably did reasonably well on your LSAT. I would either apply to other schools that have more of a cache, such as University of Miami, Stetson, etc. or, even better, study hard for the LSAT in order to raise your scores a few points.

Bottom line: Don't go there.

Either you mistakenly think he referring to the USC in Los Angeles or you're trolling...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:21 pm 

Your gut is telling you the right thing; societal pressures might be suggesting that you enroll in the school though. Run far far away. So many students at lower tier schools would be better off in life if they never applied to LS.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:27 pm 

I felt that same sick feeling before I first started law school. I made the decision to stay. I'm now in my 3rd year and it was the best decision I've ever made.

However, there were some differences between our situations. I'm only going to have 50k in debt total (undergrad and JD) when I graduate. My school is also a solid Tier-2, which isn't great, but worth 50k to me. Lastly, I took the LSAT up until the point where I couldn't get a higher score.

I think you should really look to yourself for the answer to this. Did you study enough for the LSAT to really feel your results reflected your true capabilities? If not, you have an easy answer for your family and friends who are confused. You just tell them you are aiming higher or trying to get a full ride to Charleston.

I'm not one of those guys on this site who is going to tell you that Charleston (or any other school) is a terrible school and that you will absolutely not do well there. However, it sounds like you are selling yourself short AND paying for opportunity to do so. That sick feeling you have now will only get worse when your direct loan letters start coming, CSOL raises tuition a couple grand each year to "stay competitive," and your career service office hands you little more than an alumni directory to aid in your job search (happens at my school too).

Good luck with your decision. Just remember that it's your decision; not your family, friends, or TLS'ers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:05 pm 

I have no doubt I would enjoy going to school there. As I said, the faculty seems friendly and their facilities are adequate. My whole reason for going to law school is to eventually get a job as an attorney. If this school cannot guarantee that, or at least have a relatively good chance at making that a reality, I should not go. I can enjoy myself with $120,000 in other ways.

As for my LSAT, I don't know what my potential is. I studied for maybe two weeks for it, took maybe 3 practice tests total, and took it for real with the flu during midterms. That very well could be the best I can do, but I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:11 pm 

ahduke99 wrote:
I have no doubt I would enjoy going to school there. As I said, the faculty seems friendly and their facilities are adequate. My whole reason for going to law school is to eventually get a job as an attorney. If this school cannot guarantee that, or at least have a relatively good chance at making that a reality, I should not go. I can enjoy myself with $120,000 in other ways.

As for my LSAT, I don't know what my potential is. I studied for maybe two weeks for it, took maybe 3 practice tests total, and took it for real with the flu during midterms. That very well could be the best I can do, but I'm not so sure.

Two weeks isn't nearly enough time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:15 pm 

sawwaverunner wrote:
ahduke99 wrote:

Two weeks isn't nearly enough time.

I knew that going into it. I don't know what I could score if I doubled that amount of study time and beyond.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:18 pm 

ahduke99 wrote:

Take a year off, get a job working in a law firm or legal department, study like hell for the LSAT, retake, and go somewhere else. If you want to practice in Charleston, at the very least go to USC instead. Much cheaper and much more likely to get you a job. If you were waitlisted, a few points on the LSAT will likely get you in. At the score range you're probably in, you would only have to get a few additional questions correct.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:38 pm 

I spent one year at Charleston Law. Stay away.

I was in the same exact situation as you last year. I had just graduated, I applied to a few law schools, and got into only two (Loyola in New Orleans, and Charleston).

My degree is in Economics, and I also wanted to go into business. My parents put huge pressure on me to go to law school, so I enrolled in Charleston Law. I was sketched out by the school, its professors, and the students. Plus, as a for-profit school, it struck me as a cash cow.

This summer, I decided to pull the plug and get out while I was "only" $50k in debt.

You need to think about this very carefully. I'm kicking myself for letting my parents push me into that school. I cannot even imagine how much I would regret it if I had spent three full years there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:11 pm 

I feel the same way as you. I just went to the first day of classes, and it just doesn't seem right. My parents literally flipped last night when I said I really didn't want to bother with it. Basically, I am going now because they won't let me say no. I am still applying for jobs, and if something becomes available, I'll take it. I don't plan on being there past Christmas if I can find something. In the meantime, I'm going to begin studying for the LSAT. This isn't the track I want, but unless I'm willing to go out on my own with no money or place to stay, I might as well try it. It sucks either way.

What sketched you out? I'm just curious to see if we are thinking about the same things.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:24 pm 

Also, what are you doing now? I just realized that if I spend the next semester at Charleston, I'll miss any opportunities to retake the LSAT until next cycle. I assume that's what you did? Or did you forget law entirely at the moment? I may end up going for my MBA before it's over with, because I'm well aware I likely won't get the legal job I want coming out of this school. I'm basically humoring my parents at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:33 pm 

ahduke99 wrote:
I feel the same way as you. I just went to the first day of classes, and it just doesn't seem right. My parents literally flipped last night when I said I really didn't want to bother with it. Basically, I am going now because they won't let me say no. I am still applying for jobs, and if something becomes available, I'll take it. I don't plan on being there past Christmas if I can find something. In the meantime, I'm going to begin studying for the LSAT. This isn't the track I want, but unless I'm willing to go out on my own with no money or place to stay, I might as well try it. It sucks either way.

What sketched you out? I'm just curious to see if we are thinking about the same things.

You're already in law school and planning to retake the LSAT? I'm not sure what happens if you drop out after a semester, but traditionally transfers don't retake the LSAT.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:23 pm 

Quote:
I am going now because they won't let me say no.

Are they putting a gun to your head? There's a point where you just need to make your own decisions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:11 pm 

Well, my alternative is being thrown out on the street. I suppose I can still say no, but I don't want to be homeless quite yet. Pretty shitty reasons, I know.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:29 pm 

ahduke99 wrote:
Well, my alternative is being thrown out on the street. I suppose I can still say no, but I don't want to be homeless quite yet. Pretty shitty reasons, I know.

Well, if your parents are paying for law school, I guess it's not so bad. But if they're not . . .

I've had a number of friends lose jobs and have to couch surf for a few months before finding something and getting back on their feet. While it's not ideal, it would be better than simply paying for a semester's worth of classes and then dropping out (or paying for 3 years there).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:31 pm 

Hey man, I know some of the posters on this site are pretty rediculous with the "T6 or bust" talk. I mostly snoop around when I am bored (right now) and not really post. Nevertheless, I feel compelled. Do not go. I went to a similar UG school in prestige and locale. WFU prepared you for way better. Don't flush that down the drain. Charleston Law will literally rape you. If you at least went to NCCU, you would have options. A couple more LSAT points are obtainable. Trust your gut. Sit this one out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:41 pm 

Their reasoning is that the job market is so bad it's silly to pass up a chance to go to school. But I'm in class now while still not paying tuition, and it just isn't right. I feel like a jackass but I'm better than this school. I should be, at least. Couch surfing is an option. The long term outcome will likely be better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:45 pm 

BlazedBillyMaze wrote:
Charleston Law will literally rape you.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:00 pm 

Your skepticism is well-placed. This place is a decorated TTTT and should be avoided. Having worked in SC for some time, I've learned that it carries little, if any, respect. You are missing out on a lot of connections in the state by not going to USC (which is also ironically a TTT, but at least its the flagship).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:25 pm 

ahduke99:

Right now, I'm working for a Charleston real estate company. I'm also starting to interview for full time jobs.

There is one good thing to say about CSOL: businesses, especially local ones, respect the school and its students, and I haven't had too much trouble getting interviews and job offers from companies. This is something you may want to consider, because you can always do a semester then jump ship to work some corporate job.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:51 pm 

I have a relative who went here and cannot find work... I would not advise going to a TTTT but if you had to don't go to one with absolutely no alumni network. The only TTT I would go to in the carolinas if I bombed the LSAT would be Campbell...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:44 pm 

I'm curious as to what their class of 2014 admission stats are. Anyone know yet?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:08 pm 

Kerrigan wrote:
I'm curious as to what their class of 2014 admission stats are. Anyone know yet?

3.8/172

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:28 pm 

Charleston is like the best school since cooley!!