Going to law schools abroad Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
osgiliath

Bronze

Going to law schools abroad

Post by osgiliath » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Anyone know any hiring statistics, and whether or not it is a good idea to go to law schools in other countries? eg. Canada or Australia

ra25093

New

Re: Going to law schools abroad

Post by ra25093 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:00 pm

I can't point to statistics, but I'm gonna guess that unless you intend to practice in those countries or do something else (in which case, why law school?), it's not a good idea by the very nature of law. What good does it do you to learn Australian law if you want to practice in the US?

Of course, if you want to work in Australia, and believe you can 1. get into law school there and 2. immigrate there, then go for it.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:21 pm

You might also want to consider what the tuition rate is like for foreign students and if you'd be eligible for scholarships (and if the scholarships are as generous as they can be in the US, if they're merit or need based).

Incidentally, I wanted to go to McGill at one point, but felt it'd be safer just to go to school in the US. Even though I wanted to work in Quebec, who knows if I would've received a work visa.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:28 pm

It's a good idea if you want to practice in that country. If intending to practice in the US, then it is a bad idea because you may be ineligible to sit for most or all states' bar exams & obtaining employment in the US might be difficult.

Noval

Bronze

Post by Noval » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:31 pm

Come to Quebec in Canada, we rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5cJDBGR ... ideo_title

+ You don't have to go to McGill to score a BigLaw job in MTL, UdeM/Laval/Sherby still place a lot in Montreal's best legal employers.

But like others have said, if you don't want to practice in Canada/Europe, but want a career in the U.S., forget Canadian schools, same for Australia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”