University of Houston Law Center

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flyhigh_

University of Houston Law Center

Postby flyhigh_ » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Any views on how solid Houston is? It looks good to me as their energy programme looks impressive!

Many thanks!

kalvano

Re: University of Houston Law Center

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:22 pm

It's great for Houston. Not so much for outside of Houston or Texas.

Also, get a concealed carry license. It's kind of in the ghetto.

flyhigh_

Postby flyhigh_ » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Maybe it is good anywhere energy work is undertaken even if it is outside Texas!!!

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:56 pm

flyhigh_ wrote:Maybe it is good anywhere energy work is undertaken even if it is outside Texas!!!

Nope. That's not the way the legal marketplace works. Specialty programs are not relevant to legal hiring. They are PR tools for schools and ego strokes for faculty. Classroom education is of only marginal relevance to legal practice. Employers are looking for a generic skill set -- are you capable of learning and can you research and write. Taking a courseload geared around a particular specialty puts you about 6 mos (tops) ahead of someone who didn't take courses in that subject. That's not a meaningful difference.

When going through stacks of resumes, employers use school reputation as a very crude sorting tool. Houston has a good reputation in Houston. Anywhere outside of Texas it's just another school of unknown quality.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:43 pm

kalvano wrote:It's great for Houston. Not so much for outside of Houston or Texas.

Also, get a concealed carry license. It's kind of in the ghetto.

UH is in a pretty dicey neighborhood. There's some good food to be had there, though, and in the two months I spent there I never had occasion to wish I was carrying a gun.

My view has always been that UH is the best T2 law school out there. It's second-fiddle to UT in the 4th largest US city, and it's in a state where the economy is booming.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:55 pm

I was kidding about the gun, but yeah, UofH does quite well in Houston. It's a very good option for people with lower numbers, or who want to be in Houston.

flyhigh_

Postby flyhigh_ » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:24 am

I am international so I am looking for their LLM in Energy. It does have a good reputation in the sector and it seems to be heavily targeted by employers in Houston.

Not a bad choice at all.!!!

Postby 20160810 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:56 pm

flyhigh_ wrote:I am international so I am looking for their LLM in Energy. It does have a good reputation in the sector and it seems to be heavily targeted by employers in Houston.

Without touching the wisdom of LLMs in the first place (especially for non-tax subjects), I do think that if you're going to insist on getting an LLM in energy law, UH would probably be hard to beat.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:06 pm

flyhigh_ wrote:Maybe it is good anywhere energy work is undertaken even if it is outside Texas!!!

flyhigh_ wrote:Not a bad choice at all.!!!

Putting three exclamation points after a sentence does not make the sentence any more true. It's a dicey proposition at best but if you really want to go that badly, then go.

flyhigh_

Postby flyhigh_ » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:34 pm

SBL wrote:
flyhigh_ wrote:I am international so I am looking for their LLM in Energy. It does have a good reputation in the sector and it seems to be heavily targeted by employers in Houston.

Without touching the wisdom of LLMs in the first place (especially for non-tax subjects), I do think that if you're going to insist on getting an LLM in energy law, UH would probably be hard to beat.

I think you are right. The course selection and expertise is very good.

flyhigh_

Postby flyhigh_ » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:35 pm

fathergoose wrote:

flyhigh_ wrote:Not a bad choice at all.!!!

Putting three exclamation points after a sentence does not make the sentence any more true. It's a dicey proposition at best but if you really want to go that badly, then go.

Thank you for the remark....

bleern031

Postby bleern031 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:44 pm

Rutgers > UH in terms of TT. Yes or No?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:14 pm

bleern031 wrote:Rutgers > UH in terms of TT. Yes or No?

Do you prefer NJ or Texas. That's rue difference.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”