USC sticker vs. Loyola L.A. 87k (top 30% stip.)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USC sticker or Loyola 87k (top 30% stip)

USC
90%
Loyola
10%

Total votes: 68

total_loss

Re: USC sticker vs. Loyola L.A. 87k (top 30% stip.)

Postby total_loss » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:59 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:There's a 70% chance that you're paying sticker at Loyola for 2L and 3L. In your position I'd take USC.

This.

But, have you explained your situation to Loyola and asked whether the scholarship stipulation is firm? Perhaps you can get Loyola to move to a top 50%+ stipulation.

Postby 071816 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:00 pm

total_loss wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:There's a 70% chance that you're paying sticker at Loyola for 2L and 3L. In your position I'd take USC.

This.

But, have you explained your situation to Loyola and asked whether the scholarship stipulation is firm? Perhaps you can get Loyola to move to a top 50%+ stipulation.

From what I hear, they don't negotiate at all.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:00 pm

chimp wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
SBL wrote:You'd be insane to take a medium-sized scholarship from a borderline-TTT with a brutal stip over USC for another 80K or so in debt. Insane.

I take exception to this characterization of my school. Especially coming from a student at UC Davis...

Yea that was a little harsh.

Thanks. Loyola is not a death sentence. I spent 6.5 hours yesterday interviewing at NY office of a major securities plaintiff firm..

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Chimp. Totally unbiased even though Im salivating for your spot. Go to SC. In the end the job prospects are better. Not saying that you def. will, but I know of a lot of extremely intelligent people who lost their schollys at Loyola (academically, Loyola is extremely competitive, people are nice and all, but everyone is gunning for Top 10% and most are equally capable). I have a solid network of attorneys that say go to the highest ranked school no matter what the cost. I know thats a hard pill to swallow, but the truth is the legal community is all about prestige. A lot of firms wont even look at you unless you go to at least USC or higher (even if they grant you an interview). This info is coming from a hiring partner at a firm in LA...he says this economy has changed legal hiring and the amount of applicants they can choose from with an elite school pedigree makes it hard to justify even a top 20% at LLS. HTH and good luck man.

Postby 071816 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:04 pm

Danteshek wrote:
chimp wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
SBL wrote:You'd be insane to take a medium-sized scholarship from a borderline-TTT with a brutal stip over USC for another 80K or so in debt. Insane.

I take exception to this characterization of my school. Especially coming from a student at UC Davis...

Yea that was a little harsh.

Thanks. Loyola is not a death sentence. I spent 6.5 hours yesterday interviewing at NY office of a major securities plaintiff firm..

Hope the interview went well. And, yea, definitely not a death sentence. I was actually content with attending until USC came through with this offer. But I feel like it's too good to pass up for me at this point.

I know you have talked to a lot of practicing attorneys in L.A. What do you think most of them would recommend in my situation?
Last edited by 071816 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:05 pm

and Dante...you are the exception mon fere. Awesome for you, but you also made LR. I personally know top 20% who totally struck out.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Not knowing what OPs interests are, I think he should attend USC. (If OP wants to do tax, however, I would suggest Loyola.)

Postby 071816 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:06 pm

Danteshek wrote:Not knowing what OPs interests are, I think he should attend USC. (If OP wants to do tax, however, I would suggest Loyola.)

Dude, my interests are in the original post.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:07 pm

jstubbs wrote:and Dante...you are the exception mon fere. Awesome for you, but you also made LR. I personally know top 20% who totally struck out.

I'm only top 50% at Loyola (was top 20% at SW). Students at any law school strike out because they lack a strategy for success. These opportunities are coming to me because I published an article that is making waves... I strongly suggest publication as a way to distinguish yourself in law school.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:08 pm

chimp wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Not knowing what OPs interests are, I think he should attend USC. (If OP wants to do tax, however, I would suggest Loyola.)

I doubt you really know what your interests are at this early stage. I could be wrong though.

Postby 071816 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:12 pm

Danteshek wrote:
chimp wrote:

I doubt you really know what your interests are at this early stage. I could be wrong though.

I know what my interests are, but I do acknowledge that they could change/shift at any point. However, there is no situation in which I can imagine myself focusing primarily on tax law.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:15 pm

In general, people advise to not choose a school because of a particular program. A lot of the times, a Firm will hire you for a spot they need filled, not so you can pick and choose a practice group. DO not choose a school because of a tax program or IP program. If you want a more solid chance at securing any job at all, USC is the way to go. Im not putting down LLS at all, im dying to get in, but thems the facts.

And Dante, thats great man! The fact that you top 50% gives credit to the probability that Chimp will lose his scholly however. Also, not everyone has the opportunity to get published, or write something that makes "waves"...exception to the rule indeed. Congrats again, are you gunning for NYC?

Postby 071816 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:17 pm

jstubbs wrote:In general, people advise to not choose a school because of a particular program. A lot of the times, a Firm will hire you for a spot they need filled, not so you can pick and choose a practice group. DO not choose a school because of a tax program or IP program. If you want a more solid chance at securing any job at all, USC is the way to go. Im not putting down LLS at all, im dying to get in, but thems the facts.

And Dante, thats great man! The fact that you top 50% gives credit to the probability that Chimp will lose his scholly however. Also, not everyone has the opportunity to get published, or write something that makes "waves"...exception to the rule indeed. Congrats again, are you gunning for NYC?

This is credited. Thanks for the input.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:19 pm

chimp wrote:This is credited. Thanks for the input.

Def. man, PM me if you want more advice (honestly). My family comes from LA biglaw and their network has given me a lot of input on the LA market and legal hiring/schools in general. Go be a Trojan :)

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:40 pm

You should just go to USC and forget about Loyola. Taking a scholarship to a lower ranked school is usually poor boy's choice. Those were the words of a Southwestern partner in NYC.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Danteshek wrote:

Take exception if you want. Loyola is a medicore T2 law school. It's fine for some people, but it's not a good investment for someone who could be going to USC instead. They feed into the exact same market, and USC is much, much, much better. If I was being harsh, it was to help the OP out of making a terrible career decision.

And taking pot shots at other peoples' schools when you transferred from Southwestern to Loyola is probably a dicey choice.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:06 pm

SBL wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

Take exception if you want. Loyola is a medicore T2 law school. It's fine for some people, but it's not a good investment for someone who could be going to USC instead. They feed into the exact same market, and USC is much, much, much better. If I was being harsh, it was to help the OP out of making a terrible career decision.

And taking pot shots at other peoples' schools when you transferred from Southwestern to Loyola is probably a dicey choice.

Let me get this clear. You are accusing ME of taking potshots at YOUR school. Amazing.

I really want to know what partners are saying about YOU.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:09 pm

Go to USC. Odds are too great you'll lose that scholarship after 1L, and your odds of employment from Loyola will suck even if you stay top 30%. USC will give you better odds of finding work, and if you're not paying COL while you're there, it probably won't be that much more expensive.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, the opposite of whatever Dante says is usually the right answer.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Danteshek wrote:You should just go to USC and forget about Loyola. Taking a scholarship to a lower ranked school is usually poor boy's choice. Those were the words of a Southwestern partner in NYC.

Yes, the opposite of this.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Danteshek wrote:You should just go to USC and forget about Loyola. Taking a scholarship to a lower ranked school is usually poor boy's choice. Those were the words of a Southwestern partner in NYC.

Yes, the opposite of this.

Oh, oops. You eventually gave useful advice, how about that. I had already tuned you out after reading this gem:

chimp wrote:

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:34 pm

Someday, vanwinkle will be capable of entering a thread without putting me down. I'm not sure if his distaste for me stems from my attending a lower ranked school, or simple class warfare. In any event, he is not acting like a true Harvard man.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Danteshek wrote:simple class warfare

lol.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Danteshek wrote:Someday, vanwinkle will be capable of entering a thread without putting me down. I'm not sure if his distaste for me stems from my attending a lower ranked school, or simple class warfare.

It stems from your consistently shitty advice. HTH.

Postby 071816 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:40 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Someday, vanwinkle will be capable of entering a thread without putting me down. I'm not sure if his distaste for me stems from my attending a lower ranked school, or simple class warfare.

It stems from your consistently shitty advice. HTH.

LOL. Vanwinkle and Danteshek exchanges never fail to be hilarious.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:49 pm

So Chimp, whats ure decision? give me your damn spot at LLS

Return to “Choosing a Law School”