USC sticker vs. Loyola L.A. 87k (top 30% stip.) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USC sticker or Loyola 87k (top 30% stip)

USC
90%
Loyola
10%

Total votes: 68

Danteshek

Gold

Re: USC sticker vs. Loyola L.A. 87k (top 30% stip.)

Post by Danteshek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:10 pm

Now I'm getting anonymous phone calls from Massachusetts. Classy.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Danteshek wrote:Now I'm getting anonymous phone calls from Massachusetts. Classy.
What is this supposed to mean?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:50 pm

stowhat wrote:
JCougar wrote:
chimp wrote:
JCougar wrote:Don't take a scholly with a stip like that. That's career suicide.

USC at sticker is a bad idea also. Is there any way to get into Hastings/Davis with in-state tuition? Did you apply to UCI (are they even giving out giant schollys anymore?)?
I was waitlisted at Hastings and Davis and rejected outright by UCI.
Wow...but you got into USC?

I don't even know how cheap Hastings/Davis are these days (even for in-state, Berkeley is pretty atrocious). I really think in-state tuition is your best option though. Did you call both schools saying you have an acceptance at USC but really want to go there instead?
But wouldn't USC would be a better choice than Hastings/Davis if he wants to practice in LA?
Well, I guess I didn't realize that in-state tuition at Hastings/Davis is so unbelievably high. That's a ridiculous amount for in-state tuition. Definitely doesn't cancel out the advantage that USC offers.

In that case, USC is the best option. If you want an LA job and you're from LA, you're bound to at least be employed. Still...there's no way any law school actually deserves that much of anyone's tuition money.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:50 pm

Danteshek wrote:
SBL wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
SBL wrote:You'd be insane to take a medium-sized scholarship from a borderline-TTT with a brutal stip over USC for another 80K or so in debt. Insane.
I take exception to this characterization of my school. Especially coming from a student at UC Davis...
Take exception if you want. Loyola is a medicore T2 law school. It's fine for some people, but it's not a good investment for someone who could be going to USC instead. They feed into the exact same market, and USC is much, much, much better. If I was being harsh, it was to help the OP out of making a terrible career decision.

And taking pot shots at other peoples' schools when you transferred from Southwestern to Loyola is probably a dicey choice.
Let me get this clear. You are accusing ME of taking potshots at YOUR school. Amazing.

I really want to know what partners are saying about YOU.
Subtle recognition of the fact that I have a firm job?

Seriously though, Loyola is a fine school for the 5% that get firm jobs. An 80K scholarship is nothing to sneeze at. I'm just telling this kid that he'd be borrowing another $80K or so and that there'd be about a 95% chance that he won't be able to pay it back in a timely manner. USC isn't the world's best law school either, but it's night and dday better than LLS, and to tell him otherwise is a disservice. If I made that point by exaggerating how bad LLS is slightly, well, so be it.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:50 pm

You have no idea what percentage of Loyola students are employed with law firms. Do you customarily pull numbers out of your ass to make a point?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

monarchylover

Bronze

Post by monarchylover » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:10 pm

I think people are crazy to pass up a scholly at the school Johnnie Cochran went to over some no name school at sticker

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:20 pm

monarchylover wrote:I think people are crazy to pass up a scholly at the school Johnnie Cochran went to over some no name school at sticker

Additionally, LLS professor Levinson was credited in the film legally blonde.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Danteshek wrote:You have no idea what percentage of Loyola students are employed with law firms. Do you customarily pull numbers out of your ass to make a point?
Someone NLJ250 hiring data graph this guy, I'm too lazy.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:35 pm

SBL wrote:
Danteshek wrote:You have no idea what percentage of Loyola students are employed with law firms. Do you customarily pull numbers out of your ass to make a point?
Come on, SBL. You can't reference a graph that excludes shitlaw firms and expect it to be fair to Loyola.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Congratulations Chimp. I hope you do well at USC!

It's too bad your not at Hastings right now. You seem like a nice person :D

spicymeatball111

New

Post by spicymeatball111 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
SBL wrote:
Come on, SBL. You can't reference a graph that excludes shitlaw firms and expect it to be fair to Loyola.
swordfight!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Shammis wrote:So Chimp, whats ure decision? give me your damn spot at LLS
After a few days of reflection and research, I've decided to take my talents to south central lol. I'm going to officially withdraw from LLS tomorrow morning. Hopefully you get my spot Shammis.

kapital98 wrote:Congratulations Chimp. I hope you do well at USC!

It's too bad your not at Hastings right now. You seem like a nice person :D
Thanks. I appreciate it. I don't know why Hastings didn't show me any love! Best of luck to you too. Hastings was actually my number one choice going into the application process.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:15 pm

Good call broheim. Sorry Davis and Hastings didn't give you love, but USC is a great school and you made the right choice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:54 pm

chimp wrote:After a few days of reflection and research, I've decided to take my talents to south central lol. I'm going to officially withdraw from LLS tomorrow morning. Hopefully you get my spot Shammis.
Good Choice :) good luck man, and I do hope I get your spot. IF I get in i'll buy ya a drink in downtown sometime lol.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:11 am

I'm late, but good choice. This wasn't even close.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:32 am

chimp wrote:
Shammis wrote:So Chimp, whats ure decision? give me your damn spot at LLS
After a few days of reflection and research, I've decided to take my talents to south central lol. I'm going to officially withdraw from LLS tomorrow morning. Hopefully you get my spot Shammis.
You have chosen... wisely.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stowhat

New

Post by stowhat » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:11 pm

I understand why you posted this but doesn't this article work against Loyola? Loyola has nearly twice the class size of USC and only has 11 more partners.

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:28 pm

It is one hundred percent false that chimp has a 70 percent chance of losing his scholarship. That which is up to ones' performance is inherently not able to be predicted to a tee. Would Phil Ivey have only a 10 percent chance of winning a poker game with any nine random people? Of course not. OP has better than a 30 percent chance of keeping his scholarship given he has a prior record of OP success. The mistake is assuming it's a sure thing. Usc is worth 87k more than Loyola (once you're taking out 50k to Loyola). No question. 87k non-guaranteed? This is a dumb ass question. Law school in this economy is a bitch already. Want to worry about losing a scholarship too? Don't hate yourself bro.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Also associate hiring, not partner selection, should be the only relevant concern for 0Ls, given that only a tiny fraction of biglaw associates go on to become partners at the same firm, and it has a lot more to do with your personality and how much you bill than where you went to school.

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:33 pm

SBL wrote:Also associate hiring, not partner selection, should be the only relevant concern for 0Ls, given that only a tiny fraction of biglaw associates go on to become partners at the same firm, and it has a lot more to do with your personality and how much you bill than where you went to school.
I agree it won't matter once hired if you went to Havard or UCLA, but won't a firm hesitate to make a TTT who does strong work but doesnt bring in $$$$ clients partner?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Most associates in defense firms wil never have the social capital to attract corporate clients. They lack family pedigree and country club memberships.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:37 pm

Danteshek wrote:Most associates in defense firms wil never have the social capital to attract corporate clients. They lack family pedigree and country club memberships.
Trolling?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:57 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:It is one hundred percent false that chimp has a 70 percent chance of losing his scholarship. That which is up to ones' performance is inherently not able to be predicted to a tee. Would Phil Ivey have only a 10 percent chance of winning a poker game with any nine random people? Of course not. OP has better than a 30 percent chance of keeping his scholarship given he has a prior record of OP success.
Logical flaw: Assumes pre-LS success is an accurate predictor of LS success.

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:09 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
AffordablePrep wrote:It is one hundred percent false that chimp has a 70 percent chance of losing his scholarship. That which is up to ones' performance is inherently not able to be predicted to a tee. Would Phil Ivey have only a 10 percent chance of winning a poker game with any nine random people? Of course not. OP has better than a 30 percent chance of keeping his scholarship given he has a prior record of OP success.
Logical flaw: Assumes pre-LS success is an accurate predictor of LS success.
Not assuming that - you assumed it isn't.

It is more accurate than say a chance bet.

If you compete against special ed kids in math, and are not a special ed kid, I would bet you won't be under median.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”