With the BLEAK outlook of the legal market...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Noval

Re: With the BLEAK outlook of the legal market...

Postby Noval » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:41 pm

What should i do then ?

Go to Med School and gamble my way up with the cream of the crop to get into a good paying specialty or else i'm royally fucked because insurers are trying to bankrupt me ?
Go to Pharmacy School and count pills for the rest of my life while getting called a "Med school reject" ?
Go to Dental School and deal with retarded overhead burning my paycheck (Unless i specialize in Ortho or OMS) and still deal with people considering you a "Med school reject" ?...
Go into Engineering and discover that outsourcing is becoming a bigger problem ?
Go get an M.B.A. and realise the job market is just as shitty as Law ?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:45 pm

Noval wrote:What should i do then ?

Go to Med School and gamble my way up with the cream of the crop to get into a good paying specialty or else i'm royally fucked because insurers are trying to bankrupt me ?
Go to Pharmacy School and count pills for the rest of my life while getting called a "Med school reject" ?
Go to Dental School and deal with retarded overhead burning my paycheck (Unless i specialize in Ortho or OMS) and still deal with people considering you a "Med school reject" ?...
Go into Engineering and discover that outsourcing is becoming a bigger problem ?
Go to a bar and drink my sorrows away?
Go to hell?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Wait, you're going to Law School because you think Med School is a gamble?

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Med School. You paint an overly bleak picture of your financial security as a doctor. There are plenty of QOL arguments against being a doctor, but it's not really a financial "gamble" the way going to law school is.

Re: Pharm. Who cares if you're being called a med school reject? Are you still in high school?

Re: Dental. I think you also paint an overly bleak picture here. Re: med school reject see pharm.

Out of the first four you listed, law school has the least amount of financial security of the bunch, and for the areas of law that pay doesn't have better QOL. Though parts of law might be more intellectually stimulating to some than what you're suggesting, a large amount of the work a lot of lawyers end up doing is mind-numbing a swell. Law school is a gamble as to whether you're going to find a job that pays you well (or a job at all), gives you decent QOL, and stimulates you intellectually, and few jobs in the legal field offer all three at high levels. And in this market, beggars can't be choosers, so you have to gamble that you won't end up a beggar. Unless you have sufficient reason to believe you will fall into this bunch (you get into a good school, you've got personal connections to a job after graduating, etc.) I don't really see why one would argue that it's a better gamble than the rest. If you think medical school is a gamble and are going to law school, it's like saying you don't want to go to Vegas because you're risk-averse and then playing a nice game of Russian Roulette instead.

Noval

Postby Noval » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:59 pm

swfangirl wrote:

Re: Med School. You paint an overly bleak picture of your financial security as a doctor. There are plenty of QOL arguments against being a doctor, but it's not really a financial "gamble" the way going to law school is.

Re: Pharm. Who cares if you're being called a med school reject? Are you still in high school?

Re: Dental. I think you also paint an overly bleak picture here. Re: med school reject see pharm.

Out of the first four you listed, law school has the least amount of financial security of the bunch, and for the areas of law that pay doesn't have better QOL. Though parts of law might be more intellectually stimulating to some than what you're suggesting, a large amount of the work a lot of lawyers end up doing is mind-numbing a swell. Law school is a gamble as to whether you're going to find a job that pays you well (or a job at all), gives you decent QOL, and stimulates you intellectually, and few jobs in the legal field offer all three at high levels. And in this market, beggars can't be choosers, so you have to gamble that you won't end up a beggar. Unless you have sufficient reason to believe you will fall into this bunch (you get into a good school, you've got personal connections to a job after graduating, etc.) I don't really see why one would argue that it's a better gamble than the rest. If you think medical school is a gamble and are going to law school, it's like saying you don't want to go to Vegas because you're risk-averse and then playing a nice game of Russian Roulette instead.

Did i ever say Law School was a better option ? Learn to fucking read.
I just find Law better in my opinion, and where i live, going to Law School is not a gamble and the market is in much better shape.

But again, that's an opinion, if you don't approve it, don't get butthurt and move on.

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:04 pm

Noval wrote:
Did i ever say Law School was a better option ? Learn to fucking read.
I just find Law better in my opinion, and where i live, going to Law School is not a gamble and the market is in much better shape.

But again, that's an opinion, if you don't approve it, don't get butthurt and move on.

This is what you imply when you list out other options and why you won't do them while saying you would do law. It's not exactly a leap of deduction.

If it's a good option for you due to your personal situation, I'm happy for you, but my post was more directed at the general argument than you personally.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:05 pm

FWIW, I worked as a pharmacy tech for two years. Working as a pharmacist for the rest of my life (or working in the healthcare sector in general) would make me want to /self.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:39 am

Noval wrote: Did i ever say Law School was a better option ? Learn to fucking read.

Why would you cite Medical School as a gamble in answer to the question then? In fact, you re-affirm the underlined immediately after complaining you weren't saying that in the first place.

Why so mad?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:05 am

I'm going to law school because they need managers. It'll be nasty but... someone needs to manage the K-JDs. I think your nice oligarchical pay structure is ending soonish.

Noval

Postby Noval » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:07 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
Noval wrote: Did i ever say Law School was a better option ? Learn to fucking read.

Why would you cite Medical School as a gamble in answer to the question then? In fact, you re-affirm the underlined immediately after complaining you weren't saying that in the first place.

Why so mad?

Because i'm the fucking man, any other questions ?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:22 am

scammedhard wrote:I think most TLSers are, overall, making an OK decision; most of us are going to Tier 1 schools with at least some money. The problem is those 30000 or so that go to TTs/TTTs/TTTTs year after year at sticker.

It's posts like this that make me like you so much more than insane because, you know, you are at least reasonable about your critiques.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Noval wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

Why so mad?

Because i'm the fucking man, any other questions ?

I'm sure you're the man in Quebec. :roll:

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:36 pm

The outlook for MBA grads is worse than law school grads. Go look at the hiring rates out of MBA programs.

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:37 pm

bjsesq wrote:
scammedhard wrote:I think most TLSers are, overall, making an OK decision; most of us are going to Tier 1 schools with at least some money. The problem is those 30000 or so that go to TTs/TTTs/TTTTs year after year at sticker.

It's posts like this that make me like you so much more than insane because, you know, you are at least reasonable about your critiques.

+1 to both of those

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:39 pm

ThomasMN wrote:

The outlook for MBA grads is worse than law school grads. Go look at the hiring rates out of MBA programs.

He agrees with you..... Also, there are 100x as many MBA TTTTs as TTTT law schools

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:04 pm

monarchylover wrote:
He agrees with you..... Also, there are 100x as many MBA TTTTs as TTTT law schools

+1

I looked.

In my city: 4 MBA programs from state schools/private not-for-profit.

Then, online:

http://online.kaplanuniversity.edu/busi ... s/Mba.aspx

http://www.keller.edu/

http://programs.thunderbird.edu/index.p ... gwod9F4APw

And, of course, for profit:

http://www.phoenix.edu/colleges_divisio ... s/mba.html

All this for a metro area of less than a million. Yeah... we need that many MBA programs. :roll: Also, to be honest, I think I missed a couple of the for profit schools.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:11 pm

NZA wrote:This is a unique thread.

Bronx Bum wrote:WOW WHAT A UNIQUE THREAD. IBTL

ThomasMN wrote:...
+1 to both of those

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:18 pm

scammedhard wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
blair22 wrote:Why are you still applying to go to law school?

Because we're lemmings/masochists/whatever term Elie Mystal is using this week.

Elie is on vacation this week; but point duly noted.

is he making a pilgrimage?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:22 pm

scammedhard wrote:Scholarships are covering my tuition in full to a T14. I think that's the only one should go to law school these days; and even so, I am very uncertain about my decision.

wait, scammedhard is actually going to LS?

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:29 pm

REDACTED BY MODS, TOO STUPID EVEN FOR THIS THREAD

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:33 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
scammedhard wrote:Scholarships are covering my tuition in full to a T14. I think that's the only one should go to law school these days; and even so, I am very uncertain about my decision.

Yes.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:53 pm

scammedhard wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

Yes.

which school bro?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Where'd this Noval guy come from anyhow? And don't say Canada, I got that part.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:57 pm

ahduth wrote:Where'd this Noval guy come from anyhow? And don't say Canada, I got that part.

Canada

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:59 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
ahduth wrote:Where'd this Noval guy come from anyhow? And don't say Canada, I got that part.

Canada

Cute.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”