The Fourth Tier is Sickening

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bport hopeful

Re: The Fourth Tier is Sickening

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:30 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
TheZoid wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:If the ABA shut down the 4th tier where would you go to lawl school bro?

Good one. with a 168 I should get in somewhere, eh? You guys make me laugh. you don't like my thread so you start a shitstorm and jump on my nuts. you guys must have gotten picked on/beat up in high school, huh? I feel bad for you.

2.6/168

hahaha funny

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:08 pm

WUSTL.

ThreeYears

Postby ThreeYears » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:13 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:this thread blows but I see taxguy is browsing this forum so I'm gonna wait it out in hopes of witnessing this inevitable meeting of the minds

hahahaha, It's my honor to know you in real life.

ThreeYears

Postby ThreeYears » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:17 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
TheZoid wrote:
taxguy wrote:I 'love' the broad statements that folks make and assume that they are true.

Yes, going to a third or fourth tier school in today's economy is a bad idea for most people. Heck even going to a T2 school is a bad idea for most people. However,there are EXCEPTIONS"

First, if you are in or going into a field where a law degree is considered very useful, going to a lower tiered school might be fine as long as you have no ambitions to get a job with the bigger firms. A good example would be a hospital administrator who wants to go to law school part time, which should probably be benefical to their job. A financial planner who goes to school part time, would also benefit from law school training as would a current IRS agent.
Second, if you have a guaranteed job connection, such as working in dad's law or accounting firm, going to any law school would be fine.
Third: If you had parents that have more money than sense, and you REALLY have a realistic plan as to what you want to do with your law school training, going to a lower tiered law school might made sense.
Fourth, if you get a completely free ride that doesn't require high levels of attainment in order to keep the scholarship, going to a lower tiered school might be fine.
Fifth: If the lower tiered school is the best in the state and you want to practice in that state, going there might not be that bad.

In almost any other circumstances, I wouldn't recommend going to a law school in today's economy that is T2-T4 ranked. Heck, I wouldn't even recommend T1 schools unless they are ranked in the top 20. Even with this, I don't think I would recommend taking on a lot of debt.

you are a wise man tax guy. sorry i was too general and missed these rare exceptions.

I just came

:lol: :lol: :lol:

katie96

Postby katie96 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Don't worry, Zoid - I started a thread of my own yesterday with a question I wanted actual, serious anecdotal answers to and needless to say, the douchebaggery of TLS dominated the posts.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:28 pm

katie96 wrote:Don't worry, Zoid - I started a thread of my own yesterday with a question I wanted actual, serious anecdotal answers to and needless to say, the douchebaggery of TLS dominated the posts.

tbf, your thread was retarded

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:28 pm

lol

Postby 071816 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:37 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:I just came

LOL.

Beat me to it (no pun intended)

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:49 pm

katie96 wrote:Don't worry, Zoid - I started a thread of my own yesterday with a question I wanted actual, serious anecdotal answers to and needless to say, the douchebaggery of TLS dominated the posts.

lol, it's all good.

SilverE2 wrote:
TheZoid wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:If the ABA shut down the 4th tier where would you go to lawl school bro?

Good one. with a 168 I should get in somewhere, eh? You guys make me laugh. you don't like my thread so you start a shitstorm and jump on my nuts. you guys must have gotten picked on/beat up in high school, huh? I feel bad for you.

2.6/168

Yes, 2.65/168. 2 years WE, retaking in October, hoping for 170+ and ED to NU. If not, WUSTL and a bunch of others and let the chips fall where they may. Wasn't bragging about my stats (obviously), just saying I'll get in somewhere, maybe even a "t-18," lol.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

tbf, your thread was retarded fantastic

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:59 pm

TheZoid wrote:Man, just running over the rankings and for shits and giggles took a gander at the fourth tier. Honestly, I know people get stuck in really tough situations (lots of debt, no job prospects) coming out of these schools but seriously, you have no business going to law school/being a lawyer if you can't muster better numbers than that. I am waiting for the day that these schools get sued/shut down for preying on the weak and taking their money, leaving them broke, hungry and despondent post-graduation. Seriously, these schools have GPA medians that dip into the mid-twos? Is that a joke? This coming from a guy with a 2.65 (from a top private uni, but still, it's a joke). Man, what these schools do is simply unethical. My suggestions, eliminate the fourth tier, some of the third, and stop duping people into the idea that they can get rich as lawyers when that is nothing but a pipe-dream.

FYI it appears you don't need to wait anymore: two more law schools were slapped with a summons this morning by graduates alleging fraud, misrepresentation and violation of state consumer protection laws in Michigan and New York. We now have Cooley, New York Law School (NYLS) and Thomas Jefferson School of Law (TJSL) all having to defend themselves in court against people who said they ripped them off. Per the conference call with the attorneys handling the Cooley an NYLS cases, more lawsuits are probably on the way.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:03 pm

observationalist wrote:
TheZoid wrote:Man, just running over the rankings and for shits and giggles took a gander at the fourth tier. Honestly, I know people get stuck in really tough situations (lots of debt, no job prospects) coming out of these schools but seriously, you have no business going to law school/being a lawyer if you can't muster better numbers than that. I am waiting for the day that these schools get sued/shut down for preying on the weak and taking their money, leaving them broke, hungry and despondent post-graduation. Seriously, these schools have GPA medians that dip into the mid-twos? Is that a joke? This coming from a guy with a 2.65 (from a top private uni, but still, it's a joke). Man, what these schools do is simply unethical. My suggestions, eliminate the fourth tier, some of the third, and stop duping people into the idea that they can get rich as lawyers when that is nothing but a pipe-dream.

FYI it appears you don't need to wait anymore: two more law schools were slapped with a summons this morning by graduates alleging fraud, misrepresentation and violation of state consumer protection laws in Michigan and New York. We now have Cooley, New York Law School (NYLS) and Thomas Jefferson School of Law (TJSL) all having to defend themselves in court against people who said they ripped them off. Per the conference call with the attorneys handling the Cooley an NYLS cases, more lawsuits are probably on the way.

It's about damn time.

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:09 pm

beachbum wrote:
observationalist wrote:

It's about damn time.

What remains to be seen is whether class will be granted in any of these cases. There's precedent for granting class to consumers of a higher education program in California (see here http://www.sfweekly.com/2011-05-04/news ... t-smith/2/), but I'm not sure what it's looking like in either Michigan or NY.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:30 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

+1

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:05 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

+1

Search function. Use it.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:09 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

+1

Search function. Use it.

was that to me or Katie, HW?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:11 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

+1

Search function. Use it.

was that to me or Katie, HW?

Katie, Zoid, anyone who posts a frequently-answered question or the umpteenth time.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:13 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Katie, Zoid, anyone who posts a frequently-answered question or the umpteenth time.

gotcha, confused by the quoting

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:13 pm

chimp wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:I just came

LOL.

Beat me to it (no pun intended)

:lol:

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:15 pm

observationalist wrote:

That is so awesome. Thanks for the update. Wonder who's next. Barry? Ave Maria?

jessedvhs

Postby jessedvhs » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:14 pm

KevinP wrote:At least if law school doesn't work out for those TTT/TTTT grads, they can always do this: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=162884

PM me. I have a guy for that.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Against my better judgment, I'm going to go ahead and leave this chainsaw abortion of a thread unlocked for the time being. It's just delivering on too many levels to shut down right now:

OP posted a dull, oft-repeated rant that we should shut down crappy law schools ("How DARE we allow people to make choices with bad cost-benefit outlooks!"). Then he got called out for making a shitty thread. But then, in a blaze of glory, he comes back with that old chestnut "All you internet nerds probably got beat up in high school!"

So let's see how this plays out. Your move, Intertubes.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:26 pm

IDK where the you got beat up in high school bit comes from?

Edit:

Full disclosure; I may have said this once while really intoxicated, still dont know where it came from.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:31 pm

Way to add zero substance to the convo.

Noval

Postby Noval » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:17 pm

To me, anyone who's actually dumb enough to believe the talkshit on a TTTT School's website and goes to sink in over 40k/year for the "privilege" without doing any decent research, deserves it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”