ny area schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
publiusjr

ny area schools

Postby publiusjr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:29 pm

I have been reading the boards and its seems some people on here bash every school not named Havard, Yale or Columbia. Unfornately, you are probably the trust fund babies that haven't had to work a day in your life and studied while mommy and daddy paid for school. From my professional experience, I can say, "Alot" of this information is way off.

Of course, Columbia and NYU are a step above the other NY schools but to be honest, Fordham is not much of a drop off. On a personal level, I believe NYU graduates better attorneys while Columbia grads are better academics. However, I have met grads from these schools that probably got 170 on their lsats but really had no people skills or business sense. I think NYU is the best.

Cardozo, I have never met anyone from but St. Johns have some very impressive alumni. Although they are not as good trial attorneys to me as Brooklyn law.
Brooklyn law has very good criminal lawyers.

Rutgers-Newark and Seton Hall produce good attorneys but New York Law and Hofstra to me are not that impressive. I have met better attorneys from Touro than New York law. New York Law seems to me like the Personal Injury/Sole Practicioner firm. As far as Hofstra, I heard they have the worst bar rate in NY state. But they seemed to be viewed as a top 100 school by most.

Pace, I never met anyone. Touro gets ripped but I have actually dealt with a couple of attorneys at "White Shoe" firms that went there. To be honest, if I never met then , I would have never heard of touro. Apprently, Touro has a new campus that focus alot on clinics and joint programs with the State and Federal courthouses. Who knows, everyone tries to build their school up. To my understanding, CUNY, TOURO and Pace are regional schools with almost all the students being from ny,nj, and conn.

I never met anyone from CUNY but heard its essentially a place you go to fight for things like the enviornment and Gays rights.

NYC Law

Re: ny area schools

Postby NYC Law » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:33 pm

Is there a question in there?

and

I have been reading the boards and its seems some people on here bash every school not named Havard, Yale or Columbia.

Blatant anti-Stanford trolling

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:34 pm

publiusjr wrote:I have been reading the boards and its seems some people on here bash every school not named Havard, Yale or Columbia. Unfornately, you are probably the trust fund babies that haven't had to work a day in your life and studied while mommy and daddy paid for school. From my professional experience, I can say, "Alot" of this information is way off.

Of course, Columbia and NYU are a step above the other NY schools but to be honest, Fordham is not much of a drop off. On a personal level, I believe NYU graduates better attorneys while Columbia grads are better academics. However, I have met grads from these schools that probably got 170 on their lsats but really had no people skills or business sense. I think NYU is the best.

Cardozo, I have never met anyone from but St. Johns have some very impressive alumni. Although they are not as good trial attorneys to me as Brooklyn law.
Brooklyn law has very good criminal lawyers.

Rutgers-Newark and Seton Hall produce good attorneys but New York Law and Hofstra to me are not that impressive. I have met better attorneys from Touro than New York law. New York Law seems to me like the Personal Injury/Sole Practicioner firm. As far as Hofstra, I heard they have the worst bar rate in NY state. But they seemed to be viewed as a top 100 school by most.

Pace, I never met anyone. Touro gets ripped but I have actually dealt with a couple of attorneys at "White Shoe" firms that went there. To be honest, if I never met then , I would have never heard of touro. Apprently, Touro has a new campus that focus alot on clinics and joint programs with the State and Federal courthouses. Who knows, everyone tries to build their school up. To my understanding, CUNY, TOURO and Pace are regional schools with almost all the students being from ny,nj, and conn.

I never met anyone from CUNY but heard its essentially a place you go to fight for things like the enviornment and Gays rights.

I've never heard of a school called Havard but if I had I'd bash it too.

Most people here with strong credentials are not trust fund babies and have worked plenty of days in our lives. Most people who hate the T-14 or bust mentality have shitty LSAT scores and are looking for a way to justify their decision to attend a TTT. Cognitive dissonance FTW!

Seriously, where did you come up with all of this?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:34 pm

This post is amazing.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:35 pm

flame...

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Where's areyouinsane when you need him?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:38 pm

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:38 pm

This is the cheapest website on the internet.

People weigh the pro's and con's of a $2 bottle of wine.

Tier one students are generally wealthier than the national average, but people who post on here are not. I think not being "born into it" makes you more conscious of things like picking a school than most people are.

I know people who have chosen schools in the 30s over top 10s with larger scholarships, because their parents wanted them close to home. This might seem irrelevant, but my point is that rich kids don't stalk law school transparency's charts quite as often as kids supporting themselves.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:40 pm

wat is a touro?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:40 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:This is the cheapest website on the internet.

People weigh the pro's and con's of a $2 bottle of wine.

Tier one students are generally wealthier than the national average, but people who post on here are not. I think not being "born into it" makes you more conscious of things like picking a school than most people are.

I know people who have chosen schools in the 30s over top 10s with larger scholarships, because their parents wanted them close to home. This might seem irrelevant, but my point is that rich kids don't stalk law school transparency's charts quite as often as kids supporting themselves.

highly doubt that

publiusjr

Postby publiusjr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:40 pm

firstly, I am exhausted so excuse the spelling error. My point was these boards are filled with negativity.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:41 pm

publiusjr wrote:firstly, I am exhausted so excuse the spelling error. My point was these boards are filled with negativity.

Excused. But the negativity is justified. 45,000 JDs being minted each year for what might be 30,000 new jobs is worth pointing out.

publiusjr

Postby publiusjr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:43 pm

i agree with that. Too many people go to law school not knowing why they are going or have unreal expectations.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:45 pm

publiusjr wrote:firstly, I am exhausted so excuse the spelling error. My point was these boards are filled with negativity.

It's hard not to be negative towards you. What are you after exactly? Your OP is just a rant.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:

It's hard not to be negative towards you. What are you after exactly? Your OP is just a rant.

I think he's trying to write an updated article for the TLS homepage.

publiusjr

Postby publiusjr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:48 pm

my point was some of the negtivity is overboard. From experience, schools like Fordham, st johns, and Brooklyn law prepared attorneys very well. At the same time, I will conceed that NYLS and Hofstra are not impressive at all. My point was your life is not over if you get into Fordham, SJU, or Brooklyn.

I used the touro example because I never heard of the school and met two white show firm attorneys at a function. They were very sharp. Thus, my point was every dog has its day, even someone from Touro could potentially get lucky.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:54 pm

publiusjr wrote:my point was some of the negtivity is overboard. From experience, schools like Fordham, st johns, and Brooklyn law prepared attorneys very well. At the same time, I will conceed that NYLS and Hofstra are not impressive at all. My point was your life is not over if you get into Fordham, SJU, or Brooklyn.

I used the touro example because I never heard of the school and met two white show firm attorneys at a function. They were very sharp. Thus, my point was every dog has its day, even someone from Touro could potentially get lucky.

Again. What?

In terms of standing, Fordham, SJU, and Brooklyn are three completely different schools that would all give you completely different employment prospects. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're trolling here.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:55 pm

Seriously bro. Your anecdotal evidence? That is what we are supposed to base our law school choices off of?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:57 pm

publiusjr wrote:my point was some of the negtivity is overboard. From experience, schools like Fordham, st johns, and Brooklyn law prepared attorneys very well.

The skill of a law school in "preparing" attorneys has nothing to do with the quality of a school. Reasonably intelligent people do not actually need law school to practice law proficiently; all it is is research and writing. The main point of law school is thus to serve as an artificial marker of status to help you in the job search. Insofar as this is true, St. John's and Brooklyn are not "good" law schools.

publiusjr

Postby publiusjr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:04 pm

that because you view it from a money/big law standpoint. The Brooklyn D.A. and Eastern District U.S. Attorney's office is loaded with Brooklyn Law students. Look, would I want to be a D.A. in Brooklyn. Absolutely not. However, alot of people enjoy that line of work. Wages and hours are horrible but they enjoy the prosecution end.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:07 pm

publiusjr wrote:that because you view it from a money/big law standpoint. The Brooklyn D.A. and Eastern District U.S. Attorney's office is loaded with Brooklyn Law students. Look, would I want to be a D.A. in Brooklyn. Absolutely not. However, alot of people enjoy that line of work. Wages and hours are horrible but they enjoy the prosecution end.

I'm not viewing it from a money/BigLaw standpoint; in fact, I want to eventually work for the PD's office, if I can ever get it to hire me. It's harder to get those jobs out of school like Brooklyn and St. John's, too.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:12 pm

Columbia grad, I believe.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:19 pm

Verity wrote:Image

Why hate on this guy? He may be a real life Lincoln Lawyer.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:23 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:

Looks like he got into some legal trouble

--LinkRemoved--

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:06 am

NYC Law wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:

Looks like he got into some legal trouble

--LinkRemoved--

But he got his clients off.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”