Part Time Law School?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
doggs64

Part Time Law School?

Postby doggs64 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:09 am

Hi, I am trying to get info on a part-time law program that is reputable. Particularly, I am an airline pilot, so my work schedule could be an issue with classes. Are part-time classes typically night or weekend classes? Any schools that have distance-learning programs which require minimum attendance? Thanks for any help.

sky7

Re: Part Time Law School?

Postby sky7 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:15 am

You'll be taking evening classes.

Georgetown, GW, Fordham, George Mason, Maryland, American are the best programs.

Roughly in that order.

mikeditkaisgod

Postby mikeditkaisgod » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:20 am

doggs64 wrote:Hi, I am trying to get info on a part-time law program that is reputable. Particularly, I am an airline pilot, so my work schedule could be an issue with classes. Are part-time classes typically night or weekend classes? Any schools that have distance-learning programs which require minimum attendance? Thanks for any help.

All you need to do is email or get on whatever school you are looking at and look at their course schedules for each semester. I'm definitely not an expert by any means, but from what I've read concerning various part-time programs, classes are mainly in the evenings for a couple of hours a night. With regards to your last question, there are schools that have distance-learning programs, but I definitely wouldn't recommend any of them. Honestly, unless you're really unhappy with your chosen career path, I would stick with it.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:24 am

SMU & the University of Denver also offer very well established part-time law programs. In total, 80 accredted law schools offer part-time programs. Some offer both day & evening classes. In which location or locations do you plan to attend law school ?

doggs64

Postby doggs64 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Most likely it will be in the Southeast region. Thanks.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Georgia State in Atlanta & Stetson in the Tampa Bay area are the only two part-time law programs that come to mind.

howell

Postby howell » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:31 am

Pilots have done the part-time program at Georgia State. Classes are all during the week (Mon-Thurs for 95%). There are 2 sections of Litigation that meet on Saturday, but there is no reason you would have to take those.

Below are the rankings and in-state tuitions (if available) for part-time students for some of the schools mentioned in this thread. They're all regional* schools. GT, Fordham, GW, and GM are in a "tier" above this for PT programs, IMO.

42 - Maryland - $17,792
50 - American - $31,122
61 - GSU - $9,918
110 - Stetson - $24,282

Also, being a pilot >>> being a lawyer. I hope this is just for personal enrichment.

*To clarify my usage of "regional," I don't mean an entire region like "the southeast." American and Maryland would cross nearby state lines, but GSU would be more for Atlanta and Stetson for Waffle House. I keed.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:50 am

FIU has a very cheap PT program if you're a Florida resident.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:59 pm

You want to leave a six figure airline pilot job to spend another six figures on law school in an attempt to find a job in the currently crappy legal market? Stay where you're at.

doggs64

Postby doggs64 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:06 am

Thanks for the replies. So everyone knows where I'm coming from:

1) No, do not plan on leaving my current profession until I retire.

2) Law school is for personal enrichment. I plan on starting an Aviation Safety Consulting business on the side eventually and a law degree would add a lot to this (particularly aviation law). BTW, does anyone have any experience with "aviation law"?

3) Backup to the backup is hopefully a law degree would help me do something else if I did have to get out of flying before retirement (medical, furlough, etc). I have an undergrad degree from the USAF Academy, Masters from Embry Riddle, and 11 years as an AF pilot/officer.

Just curious, how difficult is it to start up on your own business with legal services (taxes, wills, estate planning, etc).

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:10 am

doggs64 wrote:Thanks for the replies. So everyone knows where I'm coming from:

1) No, do not plan on leaving my current profession until I retire.

2) Law school is for personal enrichment. I plan on starting an Aviation Safety Consulting business on the side eventually and a law degree would add a lot to this (particularly aviation law). BTW, does anyone have any experience with "aviation law"?

3) Backup to the backup is hopefully a law degree would help me do something else if I did have to get out of flying before retirement (medical, furlough, etc). I have an undergrad degree from the USAF Academy, Masters from Embry Riddle, and 11 years as an AF pilot/officer.

Just curious, how difficult is it to start up on your own business with legal services (taxes, wills, estate planning, etc).

If you just want to know aviation law, it'll be a lot cheaper in terms of price and lost opportunity to just hire one of us. (particularly since you won't actually have any experience. Like us.)
Or maybe you can audit the class you want.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:56 am

lawgod wrote:If you just want to know aviation law, it'll be a lot cheaper in terms of price and lost opportunity to just hire one of us. (particularly since you won't actually have any experience. Like us.)

This might come as a shock to you, but clients do exist that find the idea that having an attorney with real experience in the subject matter at hand to be a good thing.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:59 am

haus wrote:
lawgod wrote:If you just want to know aviation law, it'll be a lot cheaper in terms of price and lost opportunity to just hire one of us. (particularly since you won't actually have any experience. Like us.)

This might come as a shock to you, but clients do exist that find the idea that having an attorney with real experience in the subject matter at hand to be a good thing.

Yes, and OP wants to be an aviation business owner who went to law school. Not an aviation attorney.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”