School with Grading Curve vs. School with No curve

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GueritaPeloChino

School with Grading Curve vs. School with No curve

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:18 pm

The two schools I am choosing between are very much the same in terms of ranking and location. I am a bit scared about the low curve at School A, while school B has no curve. School B claims to "give students the grade they earn." What are the pros and cons of the grading curve? Ultimately, doesn't it all come down to "rank" anyway? Or do average or low grades look bad regardless if you're top of your class?

Kilpatrick

Re: School with Grading Curve vs. School with No curve

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Never heard of a law school worth going to that doesn't curve. If the school is Whittier or Western State then you are asking the wrong question.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Grades do matter, irrespective of the rank. One of our 3 sections has a tighter curve than we have, 3.72=10% in A and 3.64=10% in B, and I've noticed that that section A students with a 3.65-3.7 have been outplacing the low end of the top 10% in B.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:26 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Never heard of a law school worth going to that doesn't curve. If the school is Whittier or Western State then you are asking the wrong question.

My school (T2) claims they don't do a mandatory curve... rather each class' professor can curve or not as they choose. Of course the 2Ls I have talked to seem to contradict this... so who knows.

Also, Yale doesn't curve. Cuz they don't do grades.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Never heard of a law school worth going to that doesn't curve. If the school is Whittier or Western State then you are asking the wrong question.

My old (T2) school didn't have a required curve. Some professors curved, some didn't. In classes with profs who didn't curve, anyone who deserved an A got one.

westbayguy

Postby westbayguy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:17 pm

firemed wrote:Kilpatrick wrote:
Never heard of a law school worth going to that doesn't curve.

Yale doesn't curve

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:40 pm

westbayguy wrote:
firemed wrote:Kilpatrick wrote:
Never heard of a law school worth going to that doesn't curve.

Yale doesn't curve

Ah ha. So obviously OP should go to Yale. That was easy.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:02 pm

I wasn't counting Yale obviously. Good to know about the T2 schools without curves though, I didn't know. I still maintain that OP shouldn't be going to law school.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:I wasn't counting Yale obviously. Good to know about the T2 schools without curves though, I didn't know. I still maintain that OP shouldn't be going to law school.

But you don't actually know who they are choosing between. If it is between our two T2s (one of which I know has great regional presence) then it might be worthwhile to know which schools so we could advice OP better.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:34 pm

firemed wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:I wasn't counting Yale obviously. Good to know about the T2 schools without curves though, I didn't know. I still maintain that OP shouldn't be going to law school.

But you don't actually know who they are choosing between. If it is between our two T2s (one of which I know has great regional presence) then it might be worthwhile to know which schools so we could advice OP better.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=159649

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:35 pm

firemed wrote:

OP's post history shows he's looking at Whittier and Western St., so I think I'm gonna go with Kilpatrick and say stay away.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:01 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
firemed wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=159649

Oh.... gosh. OK... yeah, OP needs to retake and try again next year in my opinion.

GueritaPeloChino

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:16 pm

I was going to receive outside funding for my legal education so I wasn't worried about graduating with debt. But then it hit me--> No debt, but likely not a decent job after graduation, either. =/

Retaking LSAT this Fall.

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:45 am

GueritaPeloChino wrote:I was going to receive outside funding for my legal education so I wasn't worried about graduating with debt. But then it hit me--> No debt, but likely not a decent job after graduation, either. =/

Retaking LSAT this Fall.

This is FTW.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”