Back Up Plans Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Noval

Bronze

Re: Back Up Plans

Post by Noval » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:10 pm

If i was rejected from law school, i would have re-applied once more, if rejected, get into another field or enter a trade-school.

If i didn't find a job at graduation, i would have joined another field and still go chillax, since i had no debt at all.

SarahKerrigan

Bronze

Post by SarahKerrigan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:14 am

donawoe wrote:In case I do not get into the schools I want or do not get the scholarships necessary to make going to LS a worthwhile investment I want to come up with 2 back up plans.
So far mine are
MBA and MPH
MBA and PhD in Finance or something of that sort.

What are or were your back up plans? Just curious.
We all say I want to go to law school but if it came down to it and you couldn't what would you do instead?
I'd cut my hair and join the army. on a serious note, i think i would attempt to teach abroad more (if i end up enjoying it) raise LSAT score, if that was the reason i wasn't admitted. If you have an endless stream of money, getting a masters could be cool, but id rather not spend that much money on something i'm really not interested in. Besides that i would prob just chill, nothing beats being young and having no real obligations ^________^

NiccoloA

Bronze

Post by NiccoloA » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:23 pm

bk187 wrote:Your post makes no sense. Due to the formulaic nature of law school admissions and the data available you can be fairly sure of the types of schools you can get into and the amount of scholarship money you will realistically receive.

If you need a "back up plan" in the event law school admissions doesn't go as it should then you're doing it wrong. A more sensible thread would be a back up plan in the event that the LSAT doesn't go well.
I was just thinking about this tonight.

I have not taken the LSAT yet, I'll be totally honest about my GPA and what I'm expecting to score on the LSAT (3.6 and LSAT of 163 - 173) With the 163 being the choke score and the 173 being the firing on all cylinders score.

If the LSAT falls below 163, I won't bother spending the money on the applications, if I'm at ~165, I'll throw my hat at some schools, but if I can't make sure that my LS debt won't be at ~100K, I won't go. If I'm at 173, I'll apply to the bottom of the t-14 and go to the best I can get into for the least amount of money.

If none of that can happen, my degree will be in HR and French, which is somewhat useful so I'll either pursue some volunteer/experience/PeaceCorps thing or a career - though I'm equally pessimistic about unemployment as most of you are with a law degree.

I've thought about this pretty extensively, but given my personality I'm sure it won't matter whether I succeed at law school or in the real world with just a bachelors - results will be substantively the same, though with different dressings.

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:52 pm

Back-up plan if I don't get a job is
1. Go home
2. Live in parents' basement
3. Write Great American Novel
4. Profit

Gizmo

New

Post by Gizmo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:39 pm

JoeFish wrote:Back-up plan if I don't get a job is
1. Go home
2. Live in parents' basement
3. Write Great American Novel
4. Profit
Wait. Why do you need step 3 for 4?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:38 pm

I don't need any of the steps for 4

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:09 pm

donawoe wrote:Well I'm not betting on LSN or LSAC averages or anything.
Your desire to not make analyses based on statistical patterns makes me question why youd go for you MBA?

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:23 pm

The engineering company that I work for now likes my work so much they want me to telecommute while in law school when I have the time. So I guess if it doesn't work out I won't have a gap in my resume/can go back working for them?

cmckid

New

Post by cmckid » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:05 pm

Become as LSAT/ACT/SAT tutor. It's what I'm doing part time and the money is pretty good- plus if you get serious, the pay bumps can take you all the way up to $50 an hour. Oh, and it's really flexible.

Disclaimer- I work for Kaplan and I really like it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

monarchylover

Bronze

Post by monarchylover » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:44 am

I asked this on another topic on another thread but no one is answering. If you had an offer at a F500 starting as a Financial Analyst at 50-60k(in a cheap metro) at their financial headquarters would you take it even if it was your dream of becoming an attorney? The F500 also said they will pay 90% of an MBA. I am not doing so hot on my PT Lsats.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:55 am

Your mom

monarchylover

Bronze

Post by monarchylover » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:58 am

Grizz wrote:Your mom
Thanks that really helps out a lot.....

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:00 am

monarchylover wrote:
Grizz wrote:Your mom
Thanks that really helps out a lot.....
That wasn't directed at you. It's not all about you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:46 pm

monarchylover wrote:I asked this on another topic on another thread but no one is answering. If you had an offer at a F500 starting as a Financial Analyst at 50-60k(in a cheap metro) at their financial headquarters would you take it even if it was your dream of becoming an attorney? The F500 also said they will pay 90% of an MBA. I am not doing so hot on my PT Lsats.
I would certainly take it. Lawl school will be there. Work the job, figure out if you want to stay in finance/business or then apply to lawl school.

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:20 am

Yes. Go into it thinking of it as a way to economically facilitate you following your dreams. If you save up some $$ and your dream after two years is to still go to LS, you'll be in the same position as before, except that the a) financial burden LS puts on you will be greatly lessened and b) the work experience will help you in the application process as long as you can manage to get that LSAT up over the next 2 years. If you work for two years, save up some $$, and find that you love your job, and thus that your dreams have changed, well, go follow them.

RareBreed

New

Post by RareBreed » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:27 am

Start a fucking property management company.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”