Back Up Plans

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
donawoe
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Back Up Plans

Postby donawoe » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:20 pm

In case I do not get into the schools I want or do not get the scholarships necessary to make going to LS a worthwhile investment I want to come up with 2 back up plans.
So far mine are
MBA and MPH
MBA and PhD in Finance or something of that sort.

What are or were your back up plans? Just curious.
We all say I want to go to law school but if it came down to it and you couldn't what would you do instead?

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby NZA » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:21 pm

If I suck at law school, seppuku is the only honorable back-up plan.

donawoe
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby donawoe » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:26 pm

lovely

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:29 pm

I'd get a job instead of pursuing totally unrelated degrees that indicate I'm nothing more than a masturbatory diploma-collector who's terrified of real life.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby NZA » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I'd get a job instead of pursuing totally unrelated degrees that indicate I'm nothing more than a masturbatory diploma-collector who's terrified of real life.

Coward.

donawoe
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby donawoe » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:31 pm

If you're implying that about me, maybe you should look at career fields that you can go into with each of those degrees and see that you can land in about the same spot with all of them. Good try though. And real life...I've been out of college for 5 years, I'm in real life already.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby TheFactor » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:31 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I'd get a job instead of pursuing totally unrelated degrees that indicate I'm nothing more than a masturbatory diploma-collector who's terrified of real life.

yikes

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:36 pm

donawoe wrote:If you're implying that about me, maybe you should look at career fields that you can go into with each of those degrees and see that you can land in about the same spot with all of them.

Wow, I didn't know that an MPH could land you a job as a lawyer.

donawoe
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby donawoe » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:40 pm

If as a lawyer you want to work in health policy, then yeah it would land you in the same job field. I did not say the same specific position but incredibly similar.
Of course if you have no experience in the health care setting, which I'm guessing you don't, you wouldn't know that.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby dr123 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:05 pm

I decided fuck LS and I'm probably going to apply to some part-time MSW programs.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Your post makes no sense. Due to the formulaic nature of law school admissions and the data available you can be fairly sure of the types of schools you can get into and the amount of scholarship money you will realistically receive.

If you need a "back up plan" in the event law school admissions doesn't go as it should then you're doing it wrong. A more sensible thread would be a back up plan in the event that the LSAT doesn't go well.

donawoe
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby donawoe » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:17 pm

bk1 wrote:Your post makes no sense. Due to the formulaic nature of law school admissions and the data available you can be fairly sure of the types of schools you can get into and the amount of scholarship money you will realistically receive.

If you need a "back up plan" in the event law school admissions doesn't go as it should then you're doing it wrong. A more sensible thread would be a back up plan in the event that the LSAT doesn't go well.


Except that I'm applying in 2012 and no statistical analysis makes any guarantees on scholarship amounts particularly with the rapidly changing applicant pool for law school in this market.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:20 pm

donawoe wrote:Except that I'm applying in 2012 and no statistical analysis makes any guarantees on scholarship amounts particularly with the rapidly changing applicant pool for law school in this market.


It's not changing as rapidly as you think it is. And using past data from LSN is quite a good guide at how much money you will likely get (as well as your numbers in relation to medians).

donawoe
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby donawoe » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:22 pm

Well I'm not betting on LSN or LSAC averages or anything. The prudent thing to do is to cover your a$$ so if things don't work out as they SHOULD, you are not left screwed.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby minnbills » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:38 pm

The real question is what you'll do if you can't find a job after graduation.

spicymeatball111
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby spicymeatball111 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:49 pm

NZA wrote:If I suck at law school, seppuku is the only honorable back-up plan.


this made my day.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:03 am

Move to Pittsburgh, get an MFA, and bleed my daddy dry (in that order).

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:19 am

minnbills wrote:The real question is what you'll do if you can't find a job after graduation.

QFT, 180, TCR, and +1.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby minnbills » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:03 am

My plan if I can't find emplyoment: beg, borrow, or steal my way into some entry-level corporate job. And if that doesn't work, pretty much suppuku and hopefully things go better in my next life where I'll snag t14 with $$$.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:12 am

minnbills wrote:My plan if I can't find emplyoment: beg, borrow, or steal my way into some entry-level corporate job. And if that doesn't work, pretty much suppuku and hopefully things go better in my next life where I'll snag t14 with $$$.


If your plan for your next life still involves law school, you wasted this one. You will be punished.

IronHBM
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:21 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby IronHBM » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:19 am

If law school doesn't pan out for me I think I'll probably go to the unemployment line.

PNW Noob
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby PNW Noob » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Cheery thread.

I'm eyeing working for the State Department as an FSO if LS doesn't pan out.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:27 pm

donawoe wrote:If you're implying that about me, maybe you should look at career fields that you can go into with each of those degrees and see that you can land in about the same spot with all of them. Good try though. And real life...I've been out of college for 5 years, I'm in real life already.

The job prospects for most MBAs are awful

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby typ3 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:36 pm

donawoe wrote:In case I do not get into the schools I want or do not get the scholarships necessary to make going to LS a worthwhile investment I want to come up with 2 back up plans.
So far mine are
MBA and MPH
MBA and PhD in Finance or something of that sort.

What are or were your back up plans? Just curious.
We all say I want to go to law school but if it came down to it and you couldn't what would you do instead?


MBA / MPH or MHA.

Or go get a Nursing Degree / MBA. That is more employable since a lot of the managing heads are nurses / doctors. Not having a medical background is going to hurt you. MPH doesn't give you the know for actual medical procedures. IMO if you're getting an MBA / MPH for hospitals/health services get an MBA / MHA

LoyalRebel
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: Back Up Plans

Postby LoyalRebel » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:59 pm

If you're thinking of going the finance route, check out taking some accounting courses and getting your CPA. Harder coursework than finance, but good pay and some of the best job security.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests