Howard v. NCCU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
naomirtanks912

Howard v. NCCU

Postby naomirtanks912 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Hello all,

I know that this is top law schools. com, but any insight on the following matter would be greatly appreciated. I have been accepted to North Carolina Central and Howard , and I can not decide which one I would rather go to. Are there any Howard or NCCU grads on here that could offer some advice? Or anyone for that matter?

Thanks in Advance

CanadianWolf

Re: Howard v. NCCU

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:51 pm

My understanding is that NCCU is very affordable for NC residents while Howard offers much better job opportunities.

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:54 pm

naomirtanks912 wrote:Hello all,

I know that this is top law schools. com, but any insight on the following matter would be greatly appreciated. I have been accepted to North Carolina Central and Howard , and I can not decide which one I would rather go to. Are there any Howard or NCCU grads on here that could offer some advice? Or anyone for that matter?

Thanks in Advance

don't know much about NCCU, but if you're AA (i'm not going to assume you are, but the fact that you're seriously considering Howard inclines me to believe you are), you should go to Howard hands down. they are biglaw's notorious stomping grounds for minority candidates (Howard's OCI is often better than even some schools in the T25 because of this), so if you do well there (and i mean top 10% LR) your employment prospects will be far better than they would be getting the same good grades at NCCU.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:06 pm

crazyblink653 wrote:
naomirtanks912 wrote:Hello all,

Thanks in Advance

don't know much about NCCU, but if you're AA (i'm not going to assume you are, but the fact that you're seriously considering Howard inclines me to believe you are), you should go to Howard hands down. they are biglaw's notorious stomping grounds for minority candidates (Howard's OCI is often better than even some schools in the T25 because of this), so if you do well there (and i mean top 10% LR) your employment prospects will be far better than they would be getting the same good grades at NCCU.

I think this is probably accurate from a pure placement perspective.

I also don't know what Howard costs.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:13 pm

Stats?

naomirtanks912

Postby naomirtanks912 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:49 pm

Thank you for all of the suggestions, and I really appreciate everyone's input!!! I had no one else to turn to because I literally know 0 people that have attended law school. To give you a little more background about myself and my sitaution, I am in fact African American. I am from Georgia, so I would be paying out of state tuition at NCCU. Tuition at Howard is about 27 K a year whereas tution at NCCU is about 24 K.

Neither Howard nor NCCU are offering me any type of scholarship money, so either way, I will be taking out loans to cover the costs associated with school (at least for the first year). I am not complaining because I decided to go to law school at the very last minute. I took the LSAT without any preparation/ studying in Febuary of this year and scored a 150 *cringes*, and I just graduated in May of this year with a 3.5 so I knew my options would be limited. I have already committed to Howard (payed my seat deposit, July and August's rent/apartment deposit, as well as signed a lease with 2 other people in the DC area).

NCCU just informed me today that I was accepted off of the waitlist. NCCU has always been my first choice because of the location and the price (by the time you factor the cost of living in DC vs. living in Durham , NCCU is waaaaaayyyy cheaper). I have never lived outside of Georgia, and the thought of moving to DC makes me extremely nauseous and uneasy. To be honest, I would be much more comfortable in North Carolina (even though I know the purpose of attending law school is not to be comfortable).

I know Howard will provide me with better opportunities, but I really plan on practicing law in a small, rural town so I am not really too concerned about that. I have no idea what I should do..... choose the more prestigious HBCU or choose the cheaper, HBCU that I would feel more comfortable at.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:53 pm

If you were already willing to break the lease and go to NCCU if it turned out to be the better option, I'd personally advise you to cancel your plans to go to Howard and retake the lsat. With some studying you can get into much better schools with just an 8-10 point improvement on your lsat. With your gpa and a 158 - 165, UGA with money, other t30's with money, t25's with money, hell even Howard with a significant scholarship wouldn't be out of the question. Something to think about...

This advise is especially good if you truly plan on working in a small town. Your goal should definitely be debt minimization. Scrap your plans to go to law school, study for the lsat, and go to the best school you get a significant scholarship at. Just my opinion.

sch0123

Postby sch0123 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:57 pm

I don't know much about either school, but one thing I'll add that could help as someone who spent the last year in DC:

While the tuition at the two schools is relatively similar, living in DC is very, very expensive. And I'm not just talking about the cost of leasing an apartment (which is ridiculous if you want to be in a decent area). Literally everything you do that costs money is more expensive in DC. A cheesburger costs 10 bucks instead of 7, a beer costs 7 bucks instead of 4, a movie ticket costs 12 bucks instead of 9. Just keep that in mind. I loved the city but it is very tough to maintain a relatively high standard of living on a restricted budget.

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:59 pm

this may not be exactly the advice you want to hear, but given your career goals and geographic preferences, it may be financially prudent for you to retake the LSAT and reapply in next year's cycle. it seems that you decided to go to LS somewhat hastily. if you scored a 150 without any prep, you should be able to crack the 160s if you put in a solid effort. given your minority status and decent GPA, an lsat score even in the high 150s/low 160s could get you into a T1 and, at the very least, a T2 in the south with significant scholarship money. given that you have no biglaw aspirations, you should aim to get as much scholarship money as you can to minimize the debt you have to pay back upon graduation.

my advice would be to apply to a year-long Americorps program like City Year or JVC, which would give you the benefit of both applying again AND having something impressive to put on your resume.

if you'r absolutely intent on going to law school this year, I would actually say go to NCCU. If you have no biglaw aspirations, and are really uncomfortable leaving the south, the cheaper COL and the peace of mind that comes with staying within your comfort zone might be best for you.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:00 pm

sch0123 wrote:I don't know much about either school, but one thing I'll add that could help as someone who spent the last year in DC:

While the tuition at the two schools is relatively similar, living in DC is very, very expensive. And I'm not just talking about the cost of leasing an apartment (which is ridiculous if you want to be in a decent area). Literally everything you do that costs money is more expensive in DC. A cheesburger costs 10 bucks instead of 7, a beer costs 7 bucks instead of 4, a movie ticket costs 12 bucks instead of 9. Just keep that in mind. I loved the city but it is very tough to maintain a relatively high standard of living on a restricted budget.

This is pretty much why I chose not to go to Howard (and they offered me a 20+K scholarship). I just didn't want to have to deal with trying to live on a student's budget in DC. I know it's doable, but barely...

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:39 am

Howard- their OCI is ridiculous for a school of their rank.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:00 am

naomirtanks912 wrote:Thank you for all of the suggestions, and I really appreciate everyone's input!!! I had no one else to turn to because I literally know 0 people that have attended law school. To give you a little more background about myself and my sitaution, I am in fact African American. I am from Georgia, so I would be paying out of state tuition at NCCU. Tuition at Howard is about 27 K a year whereas tution at NCCU is about 24 K.

Neither Howard nor NCCU are offering me any type of scholarship money, so either way, I will be taking out loans to cover the costs associated with school (at least for the first year). I am not complaining because I decided to go to law school at the very last minute. I took the LSAT without any preparation/ studying in Febuary of this year and scored a 150 *cringes*, and I just graduated in May of this year with a 3.5 so I knew my options would be limited. I have already committed to Howard (payed my seat deposit, July and August's rent/apartment deposit, as well as signed a lease with 2 other people in the DC area).

NCCU just informed me today that I was accepted off of the waitlist. NCCU has always been my first choice because of the location and the price (by the time you factor the cost of living in DC vs. living in Durham , NCCU is waaaaaayyyy cheaper). I have never lived outside of Georgia, and the thought of moving to DC makes me extremely nauseous and uneasy. To be honest, I would be much more comfortable in North Carolina (even though I know the purpose of attending law school is not to be comfortable).

I know Howard will provide me with better opportunities, but I really plan on practicing law in a small, rural town so I am not really too concerned about that. I have no idea what I should do..... choose the more prestigious HBCU or choose the cheaper, HBCU that I would feel more comfortable at.

Again, this is probably not the advice you want to hear, but you really need to retake and reapply next year, possibly the year after if you haven't had enough time to prepare for the October exam.

Though this seems to be harsh advice, think of it this way. With a 3.5 and an LSAT in the 160s (or even 170s if you are able to effectively study for it) taking a year off could save you $60,000. Your GPA puts you in the running for full tuition scholarships if you are able to get an LSAT to match. So by taking a year off and increasing your LSAT score, you could essentially be earning $60,000 tax-free.

I would also suggest seeking out a mentor. It might take a little digging, but generally attorneys who come from backgrounds similar to yours can be very willing to mentor someone who is seeking the same path. Getting into the legal profession without knowing lawyers in advance can be a rough business, so those that have done it are often willing to help out people who are trying the same thing. There can be a lot of "if I only knew then what I know now" regrets. Paying it forward is not uncommon. Look at your UG for attorneys. You search places like martindale.com for graduates of the schools you are considering attending or for attorneys in areas you'd like to practice.

Laying this groundwork now will not only better prepare you for applying next year, it can be an extremely valuable network as you start your career. Developing relationships with attorneys before you are looking for legal jobs can reap enormous rewards when you are searching for a job -- provided that your interest in the relationships is genuine (i.e., you aren't going through the motions just so you can drop a resume on their desk).

Good luck, and retake. It can be the difference between a career where debt is driving your decisions and one where you are calling the shots.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”