165, 3.42, no debt, job lined up when I'm done

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mcnulty12

165, 3.42, no debt, job lined up when I'm done

Postby Mcnulty12 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:24 am

He's owner and sole senior partner. I will work there each summer. I won't enter high as he plans to groom.

Should I simply enroll to my strongest acceptance? Outside of studying in-state, are there any other variables that I should strongly consider?

Do I factor in that I have and will take a job at my pops' firm upon graduation? If so, to what degree does that come into play? Does knowing the type of law I will practice help or hurt my studies? Can it be argued that my choice of program is less important? Why do women cry after having sex with me?

Sorry about that last one.

Any help is appreciated?

JamMasterJ

Re: 165, 3.42, no debt, job lined up when I'm done

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:27 am

Having a gig lined up definitely alleviates some of the pressure. However, you may get into school and realize that you love some area of law that you can't really do while working there, or that you have goals that aren't in line with some of the schools. I would suggest retaking and trying to maximize the level of school/scholarship because regardless of the fact that you will have your job lined up, you still should keep your options open.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:31 am

Is there a certain geographical region you want to go to school in? You should be able to get into a lower T1 with those numbers and since you have a job, school paid for, etc. if you don't want to bother with retaking that is probably ok. I think you still want to try to go to a decent school, just looks better on your dad's firm's website if anything... :wink:

Mcnulty12

Postby Mcnulty12 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:43 am

emciosn wrote:Is there a certain geographical region you want to go to school in?

I guess that's another question:

I've been in the northeast my entire life. I'm highly interested in heading south for school. I researched the schools and have some decent options without sacrificing for quality (I'm well aware that schools like Duke and Texas are out).

However, Shouldn't I stay in-state for school? The firm is in the northeast.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:46 am

Mcnulty12 wrote:
emciosn wrote:Is there a certain geographical region you want to go to school in?

I guess that's another question:

I've been in the northeast my entire life. I'm highly interested in heading south for school. I researched the schools and have some decent options without sacrificing for quality (I'm well aware that schools like Duke and Texas are out).

However, Shouldn't I stay in-state for school? The firm is in the northeast.

If you have the job lined up no matter what then the location of your school doesn't matter as much. A lot of times people say to go to school in the state you want to practice because lower T1 JD's don't travel as well and you usually have to get a job in the state the school is in. That is not a problem for you since your job is a sure thing. Pick a school you like in mid-lower T1 and go I would say.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:52 am

So maybe schools like Alabama, Georgia, Emory, W&M etc. might be good targets for you. Going to one of the SEC schools might be kind of sweet for a few years, good football. There isn't much time for partying etc in law schools but you could factor a good location and quality of life a little more into the equation in your situation. If you wanted something like UVA, Duke, Texas, or Vandy you would need a retake. May not be a bad idea if you think you have room to improve (did you study a lot the first time?). With a higher ranked school you are bringing a little more prestige back to your dad's firm.

Chippy

Postby Chippy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:01 am

Choose the cheapest possible school..."prestige" doesn't matter much if you aren't participating in OCI. If you have a job, just avoid the toxic debt.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 am

Go to your [relatively] cheap flagship state school with scholarship money. No need to waste money elsewhere.

You should consider yourself very lucky. Best.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:19 am

UW, just don't go to Seattle

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:28 am

Studying in-state is a minor factor. Don't go by that. You can take your state's bar (and will pass if you're competent and take a review course) no matter where you went to school.

The two biggest problems for law students today are job placement in a depressed economy and excessive debt. Sounds like neither is a problem for you. I envy you.

Just apply widely and go to whatever school offers the best package of prestige in the profession and low cost of attendance.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:30 am

Sounds like the hookup is solid, but nothing is a lock. The firm could lose a bunch of clients, the partner could die, you could realize you hate that kind of law and you would rather do anything other than that. I would make the decision as if you didn't have this sure thing lined up and still choose a school based on debt and job prospects, and probably end up going to a decent school that is well-respected where you want to end up practicing.

I've just seen it too often in other fields. A person assumes he/she has a job lined up and something happens - death, unexpected retirement, economic calamity - and the person in question doesn't have a backup plan.

I'd still work there during the summers and anticipate working following graduation, but I'd hedge my bets and plan on being marketable in case the unplanned happens.

Just something to consider.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:34 am

TommyK wrote:Sounds like the hookup is solid, but nothing is a lock. The firm could lose a bunch of clients, the partner could die, you could realize you hate that kind of law and you would rather do anything other than that. I would make the decision as if you didn't have this sure thing lined up and still choose a school based on debt and job prospects, and probably end up going to a decent school that is well-respected where you want to end up practicing.

I've just seen it too often in other fields. A person assumes he/she has a job lined up and something happens - death, unexpected retirement, economic calamity - and the person in question doesn't have a backup plan.

I'd still work there during the summers and anticipate working following graduation, but I'd hedge my bets and plan on being marketable in case the unplanned happens.

Just something to consider.

Well the partner is apparently his dad so its a little cold to suggest he may die but thats true. In that even I would hope the remaining partners would still abide by his wishes. Losing clients because of economic hard times is a real possibility, just have to hope that doesn't happen.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:43 am

Mcnulty12 wrote:He's owner and sole senior partner. I will work there each summer. I won't enter high as he plans to groom.

Should I simply enroll to my strongest acceptance? Outside of studying in-state, are there any other variables that I should strongly consider?

Do I factor in that I have and will take a job at my pops' firm upon graduation? If so, to what degree does that come into play? Does knowing the type of law I will practice help or hurt my studies? Can it be argued that my choice of program is less important? Why do women cry after having sex with me?

Any help is appreciated?

I'd enroll where ever you can graduate with the least amount of debt, unless your dad is paying. If he is paying, enroll in the best local school you can find. Why local? Because your clients will be local.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:45 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Mcnulty12 wrote:He's owner and sole senior partner. I will work there each summer. I won't enter high as he plans to groom.

Any help is appreciated?

I'd enroll where ever you can graduate with the least amount of debt, unless your dad is paying. If he is paying, enroll in the best local school you can find. Why local? Because your clients will be local.

+1

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:15 pm

emciosn wrote:Well the partner is apparently his dad so its a little cold to suggest he may die but thats true. In that even I would hope the remaining partners would still abide by his wishes. Losing clients because of economic hard times is a real possibility, just have to hope that doesn't happen.

Fair enough. Didn't see the part where OP said "my pop's". I would still do the same thing, though. I like keeping my options open.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:19 pm

Least amount of debt is TCR. Local state school would probably be a good idea, since you'll be able to make contacts (helpful even if you have a job lined up) who will be practicing in-state.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:39 am

Any help is appreciated?

Am I the only one who found the bolded weirdly erotic?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:46 am

SBL wrote:

Any help is appreciated?

Probably not, unfortunately

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:53 am

SBL wrote:

Any help is appreciated?

Nope. Especially when coupled with the sex question.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:05 am

UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Northeastern, Rutgers should all give nice scholarships and are in the area. I'd personally go with Northeastern just because it'd be fun to try out their unique system without the fear of not getting a job.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Redacted. This is an obvious troll thread.
Last edited by typ3 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mcnulty12

Postby Mcnulty12 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:58 pm

bk1 wrote:
SBL wrote:

Any help is appreciated?

Nope. Especially when coupled with the sex question.

Your mom sucks dick for food stamps

Return to “Choosing a Law School”