24 hours to decide IUB (10,000) vs. WUSTL (sticker)?!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Patriot1208

Re: 24 hours to decide IUB (10,000) vs. WUSTL (sticker)?!

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:37 pm

LucilleBluth wrote:I should add too that I have taken the LSAT four times and I don't feel that my score would improve if I took it a fifth time. If I thought it would make a difference I would take it again. Ultimately my dream goal has been to go to the F.B.I. Academy, (after doing a J.A.G. program but I know they are even more ridiculously selective and competitive than the Academy itself) but of course I want to have other options available.

So you want to practice law and then go into law enforcement? Why?

Rule11

Postby Rule11 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:41 pm

What's WUSTL's LRAP like? How does it compare to IUB's? I'm surprised that this hasn't been the focus of the conversation, given your stated interest in jobs that would (at least in large part) be in the running to qualify for LRAP.

I vote WUSTL either way, though.

LucilleBluth

Postby LucilleBluth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Rule11 wrote:What's WUSTL's LRAP like? How does it compare to IUB's? I'm surprised that this hasn't been the focus of the conversation, given your stated interest in jobs that would (at least in large part) be in the running to qualify for LRAP.

I vote WUSTL either way, though.

WUSTL's is by far better, given the recent changes to student loans with the debt ceiling deal that is certainly a key factor.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:19 pm

LucilleBluth wrote:I should add too that I have taken the LSAT four times and I don't feel that my score would improve if I took it a fifth time. If I thought it would make a difference I would take it again. Ultimately my dream goal has been to go to the F.B.I. Academy, (after doing a J.A.G. program but I know they are even more ridiculously selective and competitive than the Academy itself) but of course I want to have other options available.

I would think harder about your intended career path. JAG is not easy to get. You should be thinking about worst-case scenario rather than best case scenario, and making a decision from thereon out.

Like I said before, PI is less about your grades than it is about demonstrated interest in the field. And by demonstrated, it means volunteering/doing work for your intended field of PI either before law school, or, at the very latest, your 1L summer. If you come off as someone who hasn't made up your mind if you really want to do their specific field of PI, you significantly decrease your chances of getting PI employment as a fallback.

LucilleBluth

Postby LucilleBluth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:55 pm

JCougar wrote:

I would think harder about your intended career path. JAG is not easy to get. You should be thinking about worst-case scenario rather than best case scenario, and making a decision from thereon out.

Like I said before, PI is less about your grades than it is about demonstrated interest in the field. And by demonstrated, it means volunteering/doing work for your intended field of PI either before law school, or, at the very latest, your 1L summer. If you come off as someone who hasn't made up your mind if you really want to do their specific field of PI, you significantly decrease your chances of getting PI employment as a fallback.

That's why I said "dream goal" because I know JAG is ridiculously competitive with thousands of people vying for only a handful of spots if that. I'm not basing my decision on winning the lottery and having that happen I was just sharing that one example to give a better idea of my areas of interest. I do know that PI is an area I am highly interested in because of my political side but I can't exactly pinpoint a specific and certain path now as a 0L. I really do value your insights into PI.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:46 pm

saving 10k a year from not paying rent and eating parents food. WUSTL. WUSTL all the way

LucilleBluth

Postby LucilleBluth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:30 pm

Last question: If I go to WUSTL and stay at home to save money it will be about a forty-five minute commute each day both ways, I know it's best to be close to school (and of course socializing), would that be a horrible option?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Probably depends upon whether you find the commute to be stressful or relaxing.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:35 pm

LucilleBluth wrote:Last question: If I go to WUSTL and stay at home to save money it will be about a forty-five minute commute each day both ways, I know it's best to be close to school (and of course socializing), would that be a horrible option?

It's definitely do-able, many successful students have had commutes. Although I'd be concerned about the distractions of living at home...
But yeah, it also depends on how stressful the commute is, if you can view that as time to unwind then it's not bad.

LucilleBluth

Postby LucilleBluth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:53 pm

NYC Law wrote:
LucilleBluth wrote:Last question: If I go to WUSTL and stay at home to save money it will be about a forty-five minute commute each day both ways, I know it's best to be close to school (and of course socializing), would that be a horrible option?

It's definitely do-able, many successful students have had commutes. Although I'd be concerned about the distractions of living at home...
But yeah, it also depends on how stressful the commute is, if you can view that as time to unwind then it's not bad.

The commute would be stressful (yay for St. Louis rush hour traffic) but I could handle it.

WUSTL really does appear to the obvious choice when looking at all the factors that are important: cost, chances of employment after graduation, use of Saint Louis connections. I guess I'm going to say yes to having provel cheese and toasted rav in my life for another three years!

ballpop

Postby ballpop » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:09 am

Put the 50k in someone else's name. Apply for need based aid. Invest the 50k and see what bears out for IBR and LRAP then figure it out

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:37 am

ballpop wrote:Put the 50k in someone else's name. Apply for need based aid. Invest the 50k and see what bears out for IBR and LRAP then figure it out

You would get away with this but please don't do it because it would be immoral.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:24 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
ballpop wrote:Put the 50k in someone else's name. Apply for need based aid. Invest the 50k and see what bears out for IBR and LRAP then figure it out

You would get away with this but please don't do it because it would be immoral.
Really doesn't matter, as you aren't getting need-based aid at these schools anyway.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”