UC Davis Law vs UC Hastings Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lasers

Re: UC Davis Law vs UC Hastings Law

Postby Lasers » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:56 pm

lawstudento wrote:
ettalynn wrote:Another point: rankings vary. Two or three years ago Hastings and Davis were tied. 20 or so schools are roughly tied in that tier of the US News rankings and unpredictably swap places. Impossible to tell whether the trend in Davis rising/Hastings dropping will continue.

If you want to work in California, whatever trend you may try to discern really doesn't matter.

For employment within California, particularly the Bay Area, Hastings and Davis are going to get you just about the same opportunities. If you have good grades at either school, you will be competitive with basically the same places. OCI placement probably won't differ much. However, if you are looking for jobs you have to do footwork for, in the Bay Area, it's probably going to be easier to make contacts to get your foot in the door from Hastings simply due to proximity.

Rankings simply don't matter in this case.

exactly, they are practically the same.

hastings has more alumni and a better reputation though, especially in the bay area.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:57 am

For what it's worth, while rankings probably don't matter, I can personally attest to the fact that in at least 5 of my interviews (all for law firms of federal clerkships), the issue of Davis's ranking w/r/t Hastings has come up. Usually it's in passing, and it's never phrased as a make-or-break kind of thing, but don't fool yourselves into thinking that employers haven't noticed or don't care at all.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:55 pm

fwiw, if you're trying to make a decision, I'm a 1L at hastings and I love it. I've had a great time, love living in the middle of a city, and have met some really cool people. Also after reading some people complain about their professors on tls, I'm convinced that I totally lucked out and have some of the coolest ones out there. Maybe I'll have a different story after I get my grades and have trouble looking for a summer position though.. haha.

lawstudento

Postby lawstudento » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:06 pm

SBL wrote:For what it's worth, while rankings probably don't matter, I can personally attest to the fact that in at least 5 of my interviews (all for law firms of federal clerkships), the issue of Davis's ranking w/r/t Hastings has come up. Usually it's in passing, and it's never phrased as a make-or-break kind of thing, but don't fool yourselves into thinking that employers haven't noticed or don't care at all.

Do you really think that Davis' ranking will have more influence on a hiring decision than the individual differences between candidates? My point in this regard is that basing your decision to attend either for the ranking doesn't make much sense given the general comparability and various other considerations.

All said and done, I just don't think there is enough of a difference to choose on that basis. Go where you want to go for all of the other factors and do the best you can, because that is, by and far, going to matter much, much more.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:41 am

ilovesf wrote:fwiw, if you're trying to make a decision, I'm a 1L at hastings and I love it. I've had a great time, love living in the middle of a city, and have met some really cool people. Also after reading some people complain about their professors on tls, I'm convinced that I totally lucked out and have some of the coolest ones out there. Maybe I'll have a different story after I get my grades and have trouble looking for a summer position though.. haha.

yeah, every hastings professors i have and have met are really engaging and genuine. pretty surprising.

it's too bad i'm going to inevitably hate my teachers when i'm reading their exams during finals...

Postby 20160810 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:41 am

lawstudento wrote:
SBL wrote:For what it's worth, while rankings probably don't matter, I can personally attest to the fact that in at least 5 of my interviews (all for law firms of federal clerkships), the issue of Davis's ranking w/r/t Hastings has come up. Usually it's in passing, and it's never phrased as a make-or-break kind of thing, but don't fool yourselves into thinking that employers haven't noticed or don't care at all.

Do you really think that Davis' ranking will have more influence on a hiring decision than the individual differences between candidates? My point in this regard is that basing your decision to attend either for the ranking doesn't make much sense given the general comparability and various other considerations.

All said and done, I just don't think there is enough of a difference to choose on that basis. Go where you want to go for all of the other factors and do the best you can, because that is, by and far, going to matter much, much more.

I think it would be silly to choose UCD over UCH purely on rankings, but I think it's reasonable to use the rankings as a tiebreaker if you otherwise don't have much of a preference.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”