UC Davis Law vs UC Hastings Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
baysideq

UC Davis Law vs UC Hastings Law

Postby baysideq » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:00 am

I've been accepted to both Hastings and UC Davis recently (waitlist acceptances) and I'm really having trouble deciding between the two. I know Davis' ranking is higher at 23 compared to Hastings' 42, but I still feel like Hastings holds a higher reputation and is more well known. I've been offered around the same amount of money by both schools so the financial rewards and restraints are similar. I've worked at the DA's office so I'm looking into criminal law, but I haven't yet closed the door in testing the waters in corporate law. Some feedback would be much appreciated as to which school I should choose! Thanks

ndirish2010

Re: UC Davis Law vs UC Hastings Law

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:17 am

Flip a coin?

Oban

Postby Oban » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:52 am

Davis has a cheaper cost of living, but you'd be living in a cowtown. SF is costly but cool. Davis has an UG campus though, so more going on in terms of "school life" if that is important to you.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:57 pm

look up one of the previous threads, this issue has been analyzed in great detail

long story short: Hastings

Postby 071816 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:18 pm

--LinkRemoved--

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:21 pm

could you use your scholarship at Davis to talk Hastings into giving you a better scholarship?

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:37 pm

Davis Davis Davis. Much higher ranked, pretty campus, not in the Tenderloin. Enough said.

Oban

Postby Oban » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:28 pm

LaCumparsita wrote:Davis Davis Davis. Much higher ranked, pretty campus, not in the Tenderloin. Enough said.

No one who's hiring in the Bay gives a fuck that Davis is ranked higher. If anything Hastings has more alumni and hiring partners, etc. But anyway they are viewed as peer schools by basically anyone in the bay area. Most graduates of both schools are kinda fucked now anyway. Just ask General Tsao if he still posts.

cu_arsenal

Postby cu_arsenal » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:31 pm

I had this choice last year. I wanted to live in a city and better opportunities for employment. As high as Davis' ranking it, it does not carry the same recognition in the state of CA as Hastings does given the fact that Hastings has been around for so much longer and used to be one of the best schools in the country.

I found the faculty at Hastings to be phenomenal and engaging. While I understand that Davis also has some excellent faculty members, Hastings has a brand name and location that still attracts some wonderful professors.

As for the opportunities in SF, they are very plentiful to Hastings students. Yes, the job market definitely gets watered down by Stanford and Boalt, but when it comes to Bay Area law, Hastings' location in the middle of SF gives it much better traction than Davis. To be fair to Davis, my next door neighbor growing up went there and now works at O'Melveny in LA, but I do not know what his class rank was to get him there. His father is also a very successful attorney in LA at a significantly smaller firm too, so take of that what you will.

I'd also like to point out that I believe (not 100%, but pretty sure) that Hastings has more employers come in for OCI than Davis does. This is definitely the most helpful thing for students because you want to have as many chances at firms or DA work.

Ranking doesn't mean as much as people think on this site outside of the top 15-20 schools in the country. At that point, it's mostly similar. If you take a look at reputation rankings within firms on US News, Hastings is significantly higher than Davis. Additionally, as has been pointed out numerous times throughout these forums, Davis' ranking is bumped by its inflated % of employment after graduation. Hastings has actually subverted itself for years in this category, but from a student-quality and faulty-quality perspective, it is just as good (if not better than) Davis.

All in all, I would give the nod to Hastings over Davis. Both are good schools and if you do well at either, doors will certainly be open to you. Hastings has a very solid reputation in public interest law and with DA offices. The Tenderloin, while bad, isn't the worst thing in the world and you'll be in the library, class, or your room most of the time anyways doing reading and outlines as a 1L.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt as I am currently a Hastings student. I'm sure a Davis student would tell you to come there too.

(Also, what Oban said is very true. Hastings has a huge alumni network when compared to Davis and there are definitely more Hastings attorneys in the bay area. Hastings also has the highest # of sitting judges than any school in the nation.)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:38 pm

cu_arsenal wrote:I'd also like to point out that I believe (not 100%, but pretty sure) that Hastings has more employers come in for OCI than Davis does. This is definitely the most helpful thing for students because you want to have as many chances at firms or DA work.

Hastings also has a lot more students than Davis so it makes sense that Hastings' OCI is proportionally larger as well.

Noval

Postby Noval » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
cu_arsenal wrote:I'd also like to point out that I believe (not 100%, but pretty sure) that Hastings has more employers come in for OCI than Davis does. This is definitely the most helpful thing for students because you want to have as many chances at firms or DA work.

Hastings also has a lot more students than Davis so it makes sense that Hastings' OCI is proportionally larger as well.

It's still a blood bath for both schools as of 2011, those with top notch grades may find something decent, others are fucked no matter how the "alumni" base is high.

But if the "homies" are paying for this mistake, go for it, jobless JD with no debt is cool, but if they force you to bankroll this gamble, tell them to fuck off, at this point , it's less risky to borrow 150k and burn it in stocks or go work at McDs.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:05 pm

bk1 wrote:

Absolutely true. But, it should also be noted that even after taking this into account more employers show up for OCI, as a percent of the student body, at Hastings compared to Davis.

I'd like to point out: Where is General Tso when you need him? If he didn't get banned... :(

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:01 pm

same position, i chose hastings.

plus, as high as davis' ranking has been in the past two years, hastings' reputation among judges and lawyers is still slightly higher than davis, and on par with usc, according to us news. not to mention a larger alumni base and being in sf over davis.

still, there is no wrong choice, as both are very good schools that provide limited employment options right now.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:51 pm

jambajuicer

Postby jambajuicer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Partners made since 1986 in AmLaw 100 Firms:

UC Hastings: 233
Davis: 61

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... where.html

Hastings does have about twice as many students as Davis, but, even on a per capita basis, Hastings produced almost twice as many partners.

So what does this mean? It means that historically Hastings was a more competitive law school. Hastings is much older: Hastings was founded in 1878, and Davis Law was founded in 1965. Perhaps Davis is becoming a more elite school, but the alumni network for Hastings is much, much better.

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:05 pm

jambajuicer wrote:Partners made since 1986 in AmLaw 100 Firms:

UC Hastings: 233
Davis: 61

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... where.html

Hastings does have about twice as many students as Davis, but, even on a per capita basis, Hastings produced almost twice as many partners.

So what does this mean? It means that historically Hastings was a more competitive law school. Hastings is much older: Hastings was founded in 1878, and Davis Law was founded in 1965. Perhaps Davis is becoming a more elite school, but the alumni network for Hastings is much, much better.

I wouldn't say Hastings' network is "much, much" better. Certainly larger. For that reason, almost certainly better. But Davis has a very strong network with helpful and connected alumni.

Hastings and Davis are similar schools in very different locations, and I think that's the main difference that should determine which is best for you as an individual. One is in the middle of a major city (although a sketchy, run down part of that city). The other is in a smaller college town (but only a 10 minute drive from the state capital, and 1 hour from SF). All of that's been said before, ad nauseam.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:03 am

Noval wrote:
bk1 wrote:

It's still a blood bath for both schools as of 2011, those with top notch grades may find something decent, others are fucked no matter how the "alumni" base is high.

But if the "homies" are paying for this mistake, go for it, jobless JD with no debt is cool, but if they force you to bankroll this gamble, tell them to fuck off, at this point , it's less risky to borrow 150k and burn it in stocks or go work at McDs.

Those with top notch grades with something decent?

I know people with offers from OMM, Mofo, GDC, Quinn, and other top shops on S.F.

If you get top notch grades at Hastings, you can do better than decent.

That said, prospects decline rapidly outside the top 10%.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:31 am

When you guys say all but the top few are fucked, does this mean that only 10% or so have jobs or will have jobs?

Meaning, at Hastings, where the class size is ~400, only 40 people have jobs? The other 360 will never have a legal job? =(

Postby 071816 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:33 am

notaznguy wrote:When you guys say all but the top few are fucked, does this mean that only 10% or so have jobs or will have jobs?

Meaning, at Hastings, where the class size is ~400, only 40 people have jobs? The other 360 will never have a legal job? =(

Pretty sure they mean biglaw, guy.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am

chimp wrote:
notaznguy wrote:When you guys say all but the top few are fucked, does this mean that only 10% or so have jobs or will have jobs?

+1.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:44 am

chimp wrote:

Ah...got it. I'm not in law school or anything and I don't read the "Choosing a Law School" board often, so pardon my ignorance :X

lawstudento

Postby lawstudento » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:21 pm

Note: employers, for the most part, do not care about the difference in rank between Hastings and Davis. Quite frankly, I've had a number of attorneys in San Francisco be completely surprised that Hastings was not more akin to Berkeley, although this is obviously not a prevailing belief with all.

Point is, Hastings is known as a solid school in the Bay Area. Nothing will save you from bad grades, but you aren't going to be hurt by going to a school ranked in the 40's versus being ranked in the 30's in this case. Conversely, I can't imagine you will be helped by going to Davis because it is ranked higher.

Go to whatever school you like more. However, my personal advice is that if you know you want to try to work in San Francisco, Hastings will probably be the better choice.

These are my reflections for looking for Bay Area private practice. I could be way off in my perception, and I know even less about other markets and other areas of practice such as government of public interest.

Noval

Postby Noval » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:25 am

missinglink wrote:
Noval wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Those with top notch grades with something decent?

I know people with offers from OMM, Mofo, GDC, Quinn, and other top shops on S.F.

If you get top notch grades at Hastings, you can do better than decent.

That said, prospects decline rapidly outside the top 10%.

Knowing people who did well doesn't mean shit, just saying.
+ You'll still get buttfucked by Berkeley grads as they will get the VIP Treatment in terms of job hunting, and you guys will be fighting for the scraps.

Bottom line is: If you don't get a good scholarship at these schools, apply else where or do something better with your life.

ettalynn

Postby ettalynn » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:50 am

Another point: rankings vary. Two or three years ago Hastings and Davis were tied. 20 or so schools are roughly tied in that tier of the US News rankings and unpredictably swap places. Impossible to tell whether the trend in Davis rising/Hastings dropping will continue.

lawstudento

Postby lawstudento » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:22 pm

ettalynn wrote:Another point: rankings vary. Two or three years ago Hastings and Davis were tied. 20 or so schools are roughly tied in that tier of the US News rankings and unpredictably swap places. Impossible to tell whether the trend in Davis rising/Hastings dropping will continue.

If you want to work in California, whatever trend you may try to discern really doesn't matter.

For employment within California, particularly the Bay Area, Hastings and Davis are going to get you just about the same opportunities. If you have good grades at either school, you will be competitive with basically the same places. OCI placement probably won't differ much. However, if you are looking for jobs you have to do footwork for, in the Bay Area, it's probably going to be easier to make contacts to get your foot in the door from Hastings simply due to proximity.

Rankings simply don't matter in this case.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”