Is T14 only for BigLaw?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Does it make sense to pay sticker at T-14 if you are dead set against Big Law?

Yes
21
19%
No
39
35%
Depends on which T-14
50
45%
 
Total votes: 110

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby bjsesq » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Noval wrote:If you go to a T-14(Or any Law School in general) paying sticker, BigLaw will be your only option left equivalent to a "good job".


Exceptional skill, speaking directly out of your asshole. You should do that America's Got Talent show.

User avatar
monarchylover
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby monarchylover » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:08 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Noval wrote:If you go to a T-14(Or any Law School in general) paying sticker, BigLaw will be your only option left equivalent to a "good job".


Exceptional skill, speaking directly out of your asshole. You should do that America's Got Talent show.



I thought you reserve responses like this only for me love?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby bjsesq » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:09 pm

monarchylover wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Noval wrote:If you go to a T-14(Or any Law School in general) paying sticker, BigLaw will be your only option left equivalent to a "good job".


Exceptional skill, speaking directly out of your asshole. You should do that America's Got Talent show.



I thought you reserve responses like this only for me love?


Iuno. I crack on you at some point? I forget.

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:10 pm

monarchylover wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
monarchylover wrote:ooooo UVA got ya

Yep, you got me. I was hoping you wouldn't notice that I will be attending a law school other than Cornell and am therefore unable to make accurate or objective judgments based on available data. Damn your sleuthing powers.


did you just call me fat ho?

If it's what you picked up from that, sure.

User avatar
monarchylover
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby monarchylover » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
monarchylover wrote:ooooo UVA got ya

Yep, you got me. I was hoping you wouldn't notice that I will be attending a law school other than Cornell and am therefore unable to make accurate or objective judgments based on available data. Damn your sleuthing powers.


did you just call me fat ho?

If it's what you picked up from that, sure.


aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww baaaahhhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
binge
puke
wow I feel so much better

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby TheFactor » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:31 pm

mikeditkaisgod wrote:
TheFactor wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
read #2 on this list and explain your stance to me again...


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

I just find it funny that Cornell outperforms every T14 in NLJ250 placement with the exception of Chicago, yet people still bash it on here...

Look at the NLJ250 stats for previous years and you'll see why. Cornell's performance in 2010 was a result of NYC's recovery relevant to other major markets. Its performance in 2010 is not indicative of its true placement power.


I'm not quite sure I understand your argument. Are you stating that you believe that Cornell's 2010 performace outperformed it's true placement power in a decent/stable economy? Or are you stating that Cornell's 2010 performance was indicative of it's performance in a decent/stable economy?

Are you also suggesting that NYC's recovery is much stronger than other markets becuase I'm not sure that I agree with that statement. I've read in other threads that students at some T14's were told not to shoot for NYC because it was actually recovering slower than other markets. If that's the case, it could be possible that Cornell's grads snatched up some of the other jobs that students from other T14's were told not to shoot for. That [u]could[u] account for Cornell's excellent 2010 performance.

I'm saying that 2010 was NOT indicative of Cornell's true placement power relevant to the rest of the T14. This is pretty easy to see if you look at the NLJ250 stats over the past few years.

NYC's recovery was/is much stronger than it was/is in other markets. Not sure what threads you've been reading, but DC is the only other major market that has recovered to the extent NYC has. Things are still pretty bad in places like Chicago and California and in most Southern markets. Unlike nearly every other school in the T14, Cornell was somewhat insulated from the effects of the bad economy because nearly everyone in that class was gunning for the only major market that had really recovered. People from other T14s who bid primarily on other markets got crushed. Hence the big drop in biglaw placement in most of the T14. Most people expect that, now that people have a better idea on where to bid, the 2011 numbers will give us a better idea of each school's true placement power ITE.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests