Is T14 only for BigLaw?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Does it make sense to pay sticker at T-14 if you are dead set against Big Law?

Yes
21
19%
No
39
35%
Depends on which T-14
50
45%
 
Total votes: 110

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:44 pm

Don't alt, Horsefeathers.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4854
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby Borhas » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:05 pm

FADO07 wrote:Just wanted to survey the collective wisdom of TLS on a tough question:

I have marginal T-14 numbers (17x, low 3 GPA) and think I could probably muster at least one T-14 acceptance, though probably at sticker. I've got no interest in biglaw, and could probably get some money at a T30. Thinking gov or public interest, and know that I might need to rely on an lrap.

Does it make sense to shoot for T-14 at full boat and plan to rely on lrap, or should I shoot for a large scholarship?

I know this is personal question, but I appreciate your help.

edit: for title


if the T14 has a good LRAP that's probably the best bet, but there's always the risk that you change your mind or don't get a PI job. I think T14 is tcr overall, here.

if by low 3.0 you mean lower than 3.3, then you probably only have a great shot at the splitter friendly T14 like NW... you could easily strike out at the T10.

I wouldn't pay Cornell sticker for PI/gov jobs, but they are an exception: a ridiculously pricey school, outside of major urban areas (which are hubs for the jobs you want, and for a lot of those jobs externing during the school year could be a major benefit... something you may not be able to do in Ithaca, but something you could for sure do in Chicago or DC.)

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:07 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I don't see why you wouldn't go to the T-14. You'd have better chances of getting a job and the debt load won't really matter since you'll be using IBR + LRAP. Most T-14s have better LRAP programs anyway.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby Noval » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:29 pm

ballpop wrote:
Noval wrote:If you go to a T-14(Or any Law School in general) paying sticker, BigLaw will be your only option left equivalent to a "good job".

But if BigLaw is your goal, the better ranked your school is = the better your odds are to get a job there, but you'll still have to work your ass off in 1L to "stand out" of the crowd.

Tell yourself that the market is shit, and a "good job" in Law, BigLaw or not will require you to go to a good school and do well from there, if possible, at the lowest possible cost.

Do everything to NOT pay sticker.


Don't trust the Canadian. He knows not of what he speaks.

Considering many T14's are still managing 40-60% in the worst legal economy in recent memory to NLJ250 firms, I doubt you have to stand out. He also completely misses the boat on LRAPs. Do not do EVERYTHING not to pay sticker if you have to go to a school with a high debt load cutoff for an LRAP with a decent scholarship over a school with a great LRAP at sticker.


Fuck that, more than half of your stats are ass pulled and nothing else, unless we talk about a Top 5 or Top 6, paying sticker is still a pretty damn bad idea, LRAP or not, but if you're a gambler you can always do it american-style and then open another JD Underground website.

+ You're just mad that your Legal Market is slowly turning into this:

http://abovethelaw.com/2006/10/didnt-ge ... me-canada/

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:30 pm

Noval wrote:Fuck that, more than half of your stats are ass pulled and nothing else, unless we talk about a Top 5 or Top 6, paying sticker is still a pretty damn bad idea, LRAP or not, but if you're a gambler you can always do it american-style and then open another JD Underground website.

"ballpop" got himself banned, so don't expect a response anytime soon.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby splitmuch » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:38 pm

With your numbers and goals I'd consider the GW binding early app w/full tuition. WUSTL will get you goodo money and they place decently into midwestern gov jobs. Illinois gives splitters decent money too. Those will be your best T30 options, if you have WE you have a good chance at NU sticker and depending on what 17x and low 3 mean your other options are probably going to be GULC and Cornell (though neither of those are guaranteed). GULC places well into gov plus has a pretty good LRAP. If I had your priorities that GW full tuition thing is what I would try for first (though you may have eto be invited to apply im not sure) and GULC would be my second option.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Noval wrote:unless we talk about a Top 5 or Top 6, paying sticker is still a pretty damn bad idea


I like how you insinuate that Columbia and Chicago are decent at sticker yet schools like Northwestern, Michigan, Virginia, etc are magically somehow a "pretty damn bad idea."

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby TheFactor » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:37 pm

bk1 wrote:
Noval wrote:unless we talk about a Top 5 or Top 6, paying sticker is still a pretty damn bad idea


I like how you insinuate that Columbia and Chicago are decent at sticker yet schools like Northwestern, Michigan, Virginia, etc are magically somehow a "pretty damn bad idea."

this

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:41 pm

bk1 wrote:
Noval wrote:unless we talk about a Top 5 or Top 6, paying sticker is still a pretty damn bad idea


I like how you insinuate that Columbia and Chicago are decent at sticker yet schools like Northwestern, Michigan, Virginia, etc are magically somehow a "pretty damn bad idea."

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby Gecko of Doom » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:36 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Noval wrote:unless we talk about a Top 5 or Top 6, paying sticker is still a pretty damn bad idea


I like how you insinuate that Columbia and Chicago are decent at sticker yet schools like Northwestern, Michigan, Virginia, etc are magically somehow a "pretty damn bad idea."

+1. Look at employment stats. Sure, there's a bit of a difference between the T6 and the rest of the T14, but it's not that big. The reality is that anything other than HYS is similarly risky at sticker, with the possible exceptions of Cornell and Georgetown.

OP, as someone pursuing public interest, I made the decision that T14 is worth it for me because of the superior LRAP. If I end up in a PSLF-qualifying job, I'll actually be paying less for T14 at sticker than I would have at a lower-ranked school with a scholarship.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby mattviphky » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:57 pm

no, t-14 is not only for biglaw. but if you meant to ask if biglaw is only for t14, then that is a different story

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby NYC Law » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:01 pm

mattviphky wrote:no, t-14 is not only for biglaw. but if you meant to ask if biglaw is only for t14, then that is a different story


No, no its not

stylishlaw
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 am

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby stylishlaw » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:05 pm

Why not a T20 with money? WUSTL would probably give you a 2/3rd's scholarship at least, and Vandy/USC/UCLA/UT would all give a bit money as well.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby flcath » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:15 pm

NYC Law wrote:
mattviphky wrote:no, t-14 is not only for biglaw. but if you meant to ask if biglaw is only for t14, then that is a different story


No, no its not

The answer to both questions is "in general, but not always."

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby Noval » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:41 pm

bk1 wrote:
Noval wrote:unless we talk about a Top 5 or Top 6, paying sticker is still a pretty damn bad idea


I like how you insinuate that Columbia and Chicago are decent at sticker yet schools like Northwestern, Michigan, Virginia, etc are magically somehow a "pretty damn bad idea."


Forgot about this factor, my mistake sir.

Let's say that many schools in the T14 aren't worth sticker, it's up to the applicant to make an open choice for this.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:42 pm

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeditkaisgod
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby mikeditkaisgod » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:40 pm

NYC Law wrote:I don't see why you wouldn't go to the T-14. You'd have better chances of getting a job and the debt load won't really matter since you'll be using IBR + LRAP. Most T-14s have better LRAP programs anyway.


OP, I find this advice pretty bad. Currently, you might think that paying sticker for a T-14 and using their "better" LRAP upon graduation is a good idea; but three years from now, you might wish that you would have taken the money at a T25 which provided you with greater job flexibility (because of having minimal debt). So if I were in your shoes, I would apply to a wide range of schools, see which school(s) give you the best scholarships, and then decide.

In my opinion, outside of HYSCCN (and their admissions departments would laugh at my application), I think paying 200k for a law degree is a terrible investment.

User avatar
monarchylover
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby monarchylover » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Noval wrote:unless we talk about a Top 5 or Top 6, paying sticker is still a pretty damn bad idea


I like how you insinuate that Columbia and Chicago are decent at sticker yet schools like Northwestern, Michigan, Virginia, etc are magically somehow a "pretty damn bad idea."

+1. Look at employment stats. Sure, there's a bit of a difference between the T6 and the rest of the T14, but it's not that big. The reality is that anything other than HYS is similarly risky at sticker, with the possible exceptions of Cornell and Georgetown.

OP, as someone pursuing public interest, I made the decision that T14 is worth it for me because of the superior LRAP. If I end up in a PSLF-qualifying job, I'll actually be paying less for T14 at sticker than I would have at a lower-ranked school with a scholarship.



read #2 on this list and explain your stance to me again...


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

I just find it funny that Cornell outperforms every T14 in NLJ250 placement with the exception of Chicago, yet people still bash it on here...

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby TheFactor » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:34 pm

monarchylover wrote:
read #2 on this list and explain your stance to me again...


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

I just find it funny that Cornell outperforms every T14 in NLJ250 placement with the exception of Chicago, yet people still bash it on here...

Look at the NLJ250 stats for previous years and you'll see why. Cornell's performance in 2010 was a result of NYC's recovery relevant to other major markets. Its performance in 2010 is not indicative of its true placement power.

User avatar
monarchylover
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby monarchylover » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:52 pm

TheFactor wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
read #2 on this list and explain your stance to me again...


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

I just find it funny that Cornell outperforms every T14 in NLJ250 placement with the exception of Chicago, yet people still bash it on here...

Look at the NLJ250 stats for previous years and you'll see why. Cornell's performance in 2010 was a result of NYC's recovery relevant to other major markets. Its performance in 2010 is not indicative of its true placement power.


so why didn't other NYC schools do better than cornell?

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:12 pm

monarchylover wrote:
TheFactor wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
read #2 on this list and explain your stance to me again...


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

I just find it funny that Cornell outperforms every T14 in NLJ250 placement with the exception of Chicago, yet people still bash it on here...

Look at the NLJ250 stats for previous years and you'll see why. Cornell's performance in 2010 was a result of NYC's recovery relevant to other major markets. Its performance in 2010 is not indicative of its true placement power.


so why didn't other NYC schools do better than cornell?

Because Columbia and NYU have more students that self-select into clerkships and public interest.

And I wasn't bashing Cornell. It's a great school with great employment prospects. But it (along with Georgetown) tends to lag a bit behind the rest of the T14. Not a lot, but enough to make it slightly riskier.

mikeditkaisgod
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby mikeditkaisgod » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:29 pm

TheFactor wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
read #2 on this list and explain your stance to me again...


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

I just find it funny that Cornell outperforms every T14 in NLJ250 placement with the exception of Chicago, yet people still bash it on here...

Look at the NLJ250 stats for previous years and you'll see why. Cornell's performance in 2010 was a result of NYC's recovery relevant to other major markets. Its performance in 2010 is not indicative of its true placement power.


I'm not quite sure I understand your argument. Are you stating that you believe that Cornell's 2010 performace outperformed it's true placement power in a decent/stable economy? Or are you stating that Cornell's 2010 performance was indicative of it's performance in a decent/stable economy?

Are you also suggesting that NYC's recovery is much stronger than other markets becuase I'm not sure that I agree with that statement. I've read in other threads that students at some T14's were told not to shoot for NYC because it was actually recovering slower than other markets. If that's the case, it could be possible that Cornell's grads snatched up some of the other jobs that students from other T14's were told not to shoot for. That [u]could[u] account for Cornell's excellent 2010 performance.

User avatar
monarchylover
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby monarchylover » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
TheFactor wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
read #2 on this list and explain your stance to me again...


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

I just find it funny that Cornell outperforms every T14 in NLJ250 placement with the exception of Chicago, yet people still bash it on here...

Look at the NLJ250 stats for previous years and you'll see why. Cornell's performance in 2010 was a result of NYC's recovery relevant to other major markets. Its performance in 2010 is not indicative of its true placement power.


so why didn't other NYC schools do better than cornell?

Because Columbia and NYU have more students that self-select into clerkships and public interest.

And I wasn't bashing Cornell. It's a great school with great employment prospects. But it (along with Georgetown) tends to lag a bit behind the rest of the T14. Not a lot, but enough to make it slightly riskier.



ooooo UVA got ya

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:55 pm

monarchylover wrote:ooooo UVA got ya

Yep, you got me. I was hoping you wouldn't notice that I will be attending a law school other than Cornell and am therefore unable to make accurate or objective judgments based on available data. Damn your sleuthing powers.

User avatar
monarchylover
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: Is T14 only for BigLaw?

Postby monarchylover » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:00 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
monarchylover wrote:ooooo UVA got ya

Yep, you got me. I was hoping you wouldn't notice that I will be attending a law school other than Cornell and am therefore unable to make accurate or objective judgments based on available data. Damn your sleuthing powers.


did you just call me fat ho?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests