What Schools Have Lay Prestige & Is It Important

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flexityflex86

Re: What Schools Have Lay Prestige & Is It Important

Postby flexityflex86 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:17 pm

Tanicius wrote:Girl in a group sat down at our table in a bar and started chatting with us. I ended up going home with her essentially because she thinks the Bay is awesome and wants to visit me sometime over the next year. I think I am okay with that happening.

Always great to accept felatio for housing. If we had more great americans like you we would not need section-8 housing.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:22 pm

Lay prestige is mostly a regional thing, and regional preferences greatly influence hiring trends. Go to any market, and you can find a school whose lay prestige belies its ranking(s).

Try going to California and telling people UCLA and USC aren't really top-10 schools. Try telling people in Austin, Houston or Dallas that Texas isn't waaaaaay better than Georgetown or Cornell. Try telling people in the Southeast that Duke and Vanderbilt aren't really top-5. Try telling Chicagoans that Northwestern really isn't just as good or better than U-Chicago and Michigan.

Regional Lay Prestige Theory works for lower ranked schools, too, especially the ones that absolutely dominate their home markets. And you can rationalize it, because the only schools able to secure their grads employment in such markets are essentially T14 schools.

For example, you can understand why people in Seattle might think U-Washington and Seattle-U are grossly under-ranked and underrated (note: they are not the same thing). The only other grads working in Seattle come from essentially top-10 schools, so Seattleites believe UW and SU must be on par with those schools. They don't understand why it would be hard for someone from Ohio State, for example, to work in Seattle if it were just as good as a school.

Miami, Florida and Florida State have plenty of prestige in their market(s), and they dominate in the same way. As a general rule, only HYS, CCN, and Duke and Vanderbilt get work there.

In the D.C./MD area GWU equals Georgetown.

BC equals BU in Boston. Moreover, Bostonians perceive BU and BC as being top-20 schools who are only ranked lower because the rankers don't want Boston schools to dominate.

In the midwest (outside of Chicago and Michigan), WUSTL and Notre Dame are going to have prestige rivaling the Chicago schools and U-Michigan.
Last edited by PDaddy on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Exeter

Postby Exeter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:23 pm

PDaddy wrote:Lay prestige is mostly a regional thing, and regional preferences greatly influence hiring trends. Go to any market, and you can find a school whose lay prestige belies its ranking(s).

Try going to California and telling people UCLA and USC aren't really top-10 schools. Try telling people in Austin, Houston or Dallas that Texas isn't waaaaaay better than Georgetown or Cornell. Try telling people in the Southeast that Duke and Vanderbilt aren't really top-5. Try telling Chicagoans that Northwestern really isn't just as good or better than U-Chicago and Michigan.

Regional Lay Prestige Theory works for lower ranked schools, too, especially the ones that absolutely dominate their home markets. And you can rationalize it, because the only schools able to pierce the veils of employment in such markets are essentially T14 schools.

For example, you can understand why people in Seattle might think U-Washington and Seattle-U are grossly under-ranked and underrated (note: they are not the same thing). The only other grads working in Seattle come from essentially top-10 schools, so Seattleites believe UW and SU must be on par with those schools. They don't understand why it would be hard for someone from Ohio State to work in Seattle.

Miami, Florida and Florida State have plenty of prestige in their market(s), and they dominate in the same way. As a general rule, only HYS, CCN, and Duke and Vanderbilt get work there.

In D.C. GWU equals Georgetown, and BC equals BU in Boston. Moreover, Bostonians perceive BU and BC as being top-20 schools who are only ranked lower because the rankers don't want Boston schools to dominate.

In the midwest (outside of Chicago and Michigan), WUSTL and Notre Dame are going to have prestige rivaling the Chicago schools and U-Michigan.

Post from PDaddy completes this thread. Well done P-Daddy.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:27 pm

fruitjuice wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:Female acquaintance: "Oh you go to law school? University of Chicago? That's cool! Is it good? My one friend just got into Notre Dame, he is like SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO smart."

I've gotten this before.

Girls have literally assumed because I go to a top 10 I didn't get into the local regional, nd have talked about their friend who is soooooo smart. I have literally been told by a girl that I'm a pretty boy, but this friend is more of a lawyer type because he was smart enough to get into the TT I know I would've gotten a ride to if I applied to.

this happens sometimes; much more often (at least in midwest, idk cali or east cost) girls know that uchicago is the shit. especially if they're worth talking to or impressing.

LOL no.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:28 pm

You know what has lay prestige?

"I work at Facebook" (west coast) or "I work at Goldman" (east coast).

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:29 pm

NYC Law wrote:Must this thread be started again every 3 weeks?

+1

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:30 pm

rayiner wrote:You know what has lay prestige?

Working at Google is so 2008

Exeter

Postby Exeter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:31 pm

"I am a plastic surgeon" (west coast) or "I am a surgeon" (east coast)

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:32 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:

Working at Google is so 2008

Working in industry isn't prestigious anyways.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:53 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Girl in a group sat down at our table in a bar and started chatting with us. I ended up going home with her essentially because she thinks the Bay is awesome and wants to visit me sometime over the next year. I think I am okay with that happening.

Always great to accept felatio for housing. If we had more great americans like you we would not need section-8 housing.

The old "Mike's Apartment" model.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:54 pm

dr123 wrote:
Perdevise wrote:
Corwin wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:Female acquaintance: "Oh you go to law school? University of Chicago? That's cool, is that a good school? My one friend just got into Notre Dame, he is like SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO smart."

LOL, that sounds pretty standard

Sort of tangential, but I was asking this friend of mine who is from Chicago (the kind of friend who constantly mentions how superior everything in Chicago is to my town (which may be true)) what she thought of the University of Chicago, because I am super interested in its law school.
She kept saying, "You mean UI Chicago?"

"No, I mean the private school, you know, they practically invented modern economics? Its in Hyde Park?"

::blank stare::

She'd lived there her whole life and didn't know the school.

Oh, so you're one of those douchebags.

UIC is a public school, no? U Chicago is private, no? They are also very famous for their economics. I was trying to distinguish between the two.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:11 pm

I feel like I could tell people that during the application process it was down to Yale or Notre Dame and I decided on Notre Dame. The response would be something like: yeah, i could see that.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:30 pm

Flexityflex is such a fucking douchebag.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:32 pm

Paraflam wrote:Flexityflex is such a fucking douchebag.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:36 pm

Okay, I can either ban some people or lock the thread. I'm going to be nice this time. Besides, someone will start it all over again in three days anyway.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”