HELP NEEDED! Chicago or Michigan Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Emma.

Re: HELP NEEDED! Chicago or Michigan Law?

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Redfactor wrote:
buckilaw wrote:...Chicago will tend to give better opportunities in the private sector. "International Human Rights Law" requires that you be able to emphasize with the likes of Mugabe and others that you might hope to prosecute...

I'm not trying to be an ass, but did you mean empathize?

And if so, why would you need to empathize someone if you're trying to put them in jail? If they're committing human rights violations, I don't see why empathy is needed except toward the alleged victims.

RC fail.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:38 pm

homegrown wrote:As a UofC grad, I don't even understand why there is a question.

If you want international anything Chicago is superior. Chicago has much more international clout than it does nationally. Among other things, all those Nobel Prizes add up to something.

There's a reason it's hys and ccn; they are simply a cut above.

It is a cut above and money equal, I would have chosen Chicago. However, the disparity between the schools is not so great that it's unreasonable to choose Michigan. I'm not one to place much emphasis on "quality of life" and "culture," but the disparity between the two on those counts is probably the strongest in the T14. Thus, I think there is a reasonable "question." One would not be insane to choose Michigan for personal reasons, and I know a number of the people in my class did so and do not regret their decision.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:39 pm

Emma. wrote:
Redfactor wrote:
buckilaw wrote:...Chicago will tend to give better opportunities in the private sector. "International Human Rights Law" requires that you be able to emphasize with the likes of Mugabe and others that you might hope to prosecute...

And if so, why would you need to empathize someone if you're trying to put them in jail? If they're committing human rights violations, I don't see why empathy is needed except toward the alleged victims.

RC fail.

I thunk buckilaw's comment was in jest, but I don't think the word "emphasize" can even be construed as grammatically correct in that context. He meant "empathize," but the comment still doesn't make much sense once it's made coherent.
Last edited by Bronte on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:39 pm

Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

homegrown wrote:As a UofC grad, I don't even understand why there is a question.

If you want international anything Chicago is superior. Chicago has much more international clout than it does nationally. Among other things, all those Nobel Prizes add up to something.

roses- they really smell like woo oo oo

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Redfactor wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Redfactor wrote:

RC fail.

How so?

It was a joke, though you are right about empathy v. emphasis. He meant you'd gain empathy for these mass-murderers because you'll have to kill someone to get a job.

foreversport45

Postby foreversport45 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:48 pm

Bronte wrote:

It is a cut above and money equal, I would have chosen Chicago. However, the disparity between the schools is not so great that it's unreasonable to choose Michigan. I'm not one to place much emphasis on "quality of life" and "culture," but the disparity between the two on those counts is probably the strongest in the T14. Thus, I think there is a reasonable "question." One would not be insane to choose Michigan for personal reasons, and I know a number of the people in my class did so and do not regret their decision.

I think there is definitely a question. But it seems to me that the major reason to go to Michigan over Chicago is just because one likes the atmosphere of Michigan significantly more Chicago's. Thanks everyone for the advice. Keep posting if you think there is anything else that is important though, since I will still be making my decision through tomorrow. Thanks!

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:02 pm

My comment was a joke. Epic writing fail on my part.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:03 pm

Wait, I'm still on the Chicago waitlist.

Go to Michigan.

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:19 pm

OP, have you decided?

While i do not think the difference between the schools is that vast, obviously there are others here who think so. Anyways, you can't go wrong either way but i do hope you choose Chicago. (Still on the Michigan waitlist). GOOD LUCK!

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:32 am

foreversport45 wrote:
Bronte wrote:

I think there is definitely a question. But it seems to me that the major reason to go to Michigan over Chicago is just because one likes the atmosphere of Michigan significantly more Chicago's. Thanks everyone for the advice. Keep posting if you think there is anything else that is important though, since I will still be making my decision through tomorrow. Thanks!

Here's a reason: If you want to practice international human rights law, you will have a very tough time doing it. From anywhere. It's just tough.

That said, the people that do make it into this field tend to have both relevant work/international experience and connections. People overuse the "networking" bullshit line on here all the time in the employment forums, but nothing can replace the opportunity to actually work with these organizations. Michigan has established relationships with 20+ of these organizations in Geneva where you actually have designated placements for full-time, full semester externships (not some 10 week summer where people don't even remember your name). It's not like something where you apply and the NGOs like your school and think highly of your application because you're at Chicago - these organizations love having Michigan externs, and we actually have these positions already set in place. I think Michigan has one of the most established programs for those interested (on par with NYU, but more Geneva-centric than NYU's). That is not to say that Michigan will get you international law, or that Chicago won't. However, I think for the type of work you're interested in doing, the slightly better reputational advantage of putting the name Chicago on your resume would be more than countered by the better chance of working with these organizations yourself.

Just some food for thought.

iminlstrick

Postby iminlstrick » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:41 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
foreversport45 wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Here's a reason: If you want to practice international human rights law, you will have a very tough time doing it. From anywhere. It's just tough.

That said, the people that do make it into this field tend to have both relevant work/international experience and connections. People overuse the "networking" bullshit line on here all the time in the employment forums, but nothing can replace the opportunity to actually work with these organizations. Michigan has established relationships with 20+ of these organizations in Geneva where you actually have designated placements for full-time, full semester externships (not some 10 week summer where people don't even remember your name). It's not like something where you apply and the NGOs like your school and think highly of your application because you're at Chicago - these organizations love having Michigan externs, and we actually have these positions already set in place. I think Michigan has one of the most established programs for those interested (on par with NYU, but more Geneva-centric than NYU's). That is not to say that Michigan will get you international law, or that Chicago won't. However, I think for the type of work you're interested in doing, the slightly better reputational advantage of putting the name Chicago on your resume would be more than countered by the better chance of working with these organizations yourself.

Just some food for thought.

+10. Getting an internship with MLIs or other internationally-based human rights institutes are NOT easy, even if you have relevant international human rights experience. The more connections your school has with orgs of interest to you, the easier it is for you, period. Also, Michigan has some pretty distinguished human rights faculty, and recs from them can only help!

foreversport45

Postby foreversport45 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Hey everyone!

Thanks for all of the tips and the advice. As an update, I decided to attend Chicago next year. The money and everything else being similar, the OCI numbers just reflect better job opportunities. And heart breakingly, international law seems like something I can luck into, not really plan for.

And to the few posters who were on the Michigan wait list, good luck! hope you get my spot!

Thanks!

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:42 am

foreversport45 wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Your "primary interest" is in a field that doesn't exist.

ok well I'll make this a little bit clearer then. I am to work on international human rights cases, something along the lines of untouchable rights in India or corrective rape in South Africa. That reminds, Michigan has the only human trafficking clinic in the country. I just put that under international law heading for convenience.

Good luck working in India without an Indian law degree. What is it with some law students who think a general degree is US law qualifies them to save the world.

Go join the Peace Corps, or get a NGO job overseas before this. The amount of people who I went to college with and wanted to "save the world" then moved out to (NOT VISITED) poor countries, got poverty shock, then ended up working with multinationals drilling oil in Sudan and the like is astounding.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:30 am

glewz wrote:Hands down Chicago

+1

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:15 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
foreversport45 wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Your "primary interest" is in a field that doesn't exist.

ok well I'll make this a little bit clearer then. I am to work on international human rights cases, something along the lines of untouchable rights in India or corrective rape in South Africa. That reminds, Michigan has the only human trafficking clinic in the country. I just put that under international law heading for convenience.

Good luck working in India without an Indian law degree. What is it with some law students who think a general degree is US law qualifies them to save the world.

Go join the Peace Corps, or get a NGO job overseas before this. The amount of people who I went to college with and wanted to "save the world" then moved out to (NOT VISITED) poor countries, got poverty shock, then ended up working with multinationals drilling oil in Sudan and the like is astounding.

+1, hahaha

Return to “Choosing a Law School”