Northern Kentucky University Full Ride vs Case Western

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cintilaw

Northern Kentucky University Full Ride vs Case Western

Postby cintilaw » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:13 pm

I really wanted to go to Case Western, and they offered some money.
Originally NKU offered me 1/2 tuition but I just received an email that they will increase it to full tuition.
I don't know what to do.
No loans would be nice.

If it matters I want to practice health law in either Chicago or NYC.

Bobeo

Re: Northern Kentucky University Full Ride vs Case Western

Postby Bobeo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:17 pm

Take the money and don't look back.

cintilaw

Postby cintilaw » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:19 pm

My concern is that with NKU I won't be able to practice in NYC or Chicago esp in health law.
Doesn't Case have the upper hand there?

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:20 pm

cintilaw wrote:If it matters I want to practice health law in either Chicago or NYC.

No, it does not matter; attending either of your choices only means unemployment, or low-wage, non-legal employment (aka Starbucks) upon graduation. But if you must, take the money and try to make the most out of it.
Good luck.

cintilaw

Postby cintilaw » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm

Unemployment?
From Case?
They have a very good employment record and salary.
I'm not so confident with NKU especially since I want to leave the area.

SkepticalHippo

Postby SkepticalHippo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:55 pm

PMed you

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:03 pm

I believe NKU only has a good-standing stipulation on the scholarship but you still need to look into the curve. Case is a decent school but vastly overpriced; sounds like you didn't get too much cash. Problem with Case again is the price tag. I was admitted to Case and it would've cost 25k a year but it is just too much total debt.

Given your stated goals I'd say retake.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:24 pm

cintilaw wrote:My concern is that with NKU I won't be able to practice in NYC or Chicago esp in health law.
Doesn't Case have the upper hand there?

If this is the only way you want to practice, retake or dont go, because you will almost definitely not end up there through those schools. If that what you wanted, why didnt you apply to NYC schools, or even rutgers, or SHU, or Nova, or Temple?

If those are your only two choices, take the money.

Gstamand

Postby Gstamand » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:53 pm

You may want to know that the CEO of Brunswick Corp (Fortune 500) headquartered in Chicago is an NKU Chase law grad as is the VP for University Advancement at NYU. Perhaps that suggests something about alums achieving success in Chi and NYC. Maybe you could check with them - Dusty McCoy in Chi and Debra LaMorte at NYU.

Most importantly - you must do well in law school and compete on a personal level. From other NKU Chase grads I've met and dealt with - very strong preparation for success, but the rest is up to you.

Good luck.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:58 pm

Gstamand wrote:You may want to know that the CEO of Brunswick Corp (Fortune 500) headquartered in Chicago is an NKU Chase law grad as is the VP for University Advancement at NYU. Perhaps that suggests something about alums achieving success in Chi and NYC. Maybe you could check with them - Dusty McCoy in Chi and Debra LaMorte at NYU.

Isnt that touching.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:12 am

Gstamand wrote:You may want to know that the CEO of Brunswick Corp (Fortune 500) headquartered in Chicago is an NKU Chase law grad as is the VP for University Advancement at NYU. Perhaps that suggests something about alums achieving success in Chi and NYC. Maybe you could check with them - Dusty McCoy in Chi and Debra LaMorte at NYU.

Most importantly - you must do well in law school and compete on a personal level. From other NKU Chase grads I've met and dealt with - very strong preparation for success, but the rest is up to you.

Good luck.

I know what your trying to show, but you are doing what these schools unfortunately do--taking the exceptional students who graduated in a more prosperous time and trumpeting their accomplishments as what is waiting for every student at the finish line.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:34 am

LOL Case and NKU for NYC/Chicago. That's funny.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:40 am

Good luck.

Are you seriously trying to make examples of TWO people as an argument for going to NKU? If OP lets that hold any water, I'd also like to inform him that a couple of people from my state have won the lottery, so you know...anything is possible!

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:42 am

The chance of getting NYC/Chicago from either of these schools is a long shot to say the least. Case will give you better odds than NKU, but my advice is to take the free ride @ NKU and be okay with living and working in Northern KY/Cincinnatti.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”